Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Gander Mountain news.

Message Subject: Gander Mountain news.
esoxaddict
Posted 2/13/2017 7:23 PM (#849648 - in reply to #849628)
Subject: Re: Gander Mountain news.

North of 8 - 2/13/2017 5:16 PM

Slamr - 2/13/2017 2:15 PM

esoxaddict - 2/13/2017 12:49 PM

I'd like to see all the big box retailers re-organized. Instead of driving to whatever-place-is-closest (we have at least 10 within 30 miles) and having a marginal selection of everything to choose from, I'd drive the extra 15 minutes to go to a place that has everything fishing, or every kind of outdoor clothing, or everything hunting...

If that were a viable business model I'm sure they'd be doing it already, but it sure would be nice to have their product lines be a little deeper. I can buy a cooler or a pair of waterproof boots anywhere, but there's nowhere where I can go and look at 20 of either product.

I know brick and mortar retail establishments are hurting right now, but doesn't anybody want to actually put their hands on a piece of gear before they buy it?

Or it's possible that lots of people put their hands on things IN the store, then search the interweb for that same product at a much better bargain?

That is what almost put Best Buy out of business. Now they try and get exclusive rights to certain models so that you can't look at a TV in the store, then search the web for the best price.

That's why the stores are filled with store-brand merchandise. The only thing they are missing is that a lot of folks don't WANT your (often sub par) brand of whatever.

Build me a superior product, and I'll pay a premium for it. Build be crap, and I'll shop somewhere else...
kdebell
Posted 2/14/2017 5:44 AM (#849685 - in reply to #849648)

Gander Mountain has been going down hill for years. When I worked there they had a life time warranty on almost all of their name brand stuff especially their rods which is not longer the case. I am not sure about all the big box stores but I know for a fact that anything with Scheels name on it has a no questions asked lifetime warranty. GM also use to spool line for free and at my local store they now charge $5.00. Trying to squeeze every penny out of a customer and not standing behind your name brand products is a recipe for failure.
Tackle Industries
Posted 2/14/2017 6:27 AM (#849691 - in reply to #849433)

Gander Mt Guide - 2/11/2017 10:37 PM

Tackle Industries - 2/11/2017 8:15 PM

Hate to say it but I am surprised it too them this long to go out of business. Worst ran retailer I have seen.... you go to one store and (example) a Bulldawg is $6.99, then at another store it is $19.99.... Now with that said, I made a LOT of money 10 years ago playing this game. Buy buy buy and sell sell sell on eBay... I bet I made over $15k doing this over 5 years on various products.

Hate to disapoint you, but we arent going out of buisness. Its a restructure with focus on streamlining. Both BPS and Cabelas are around after Bankruptcy, GM faced it before as well, the company isnt going anywhere.

No disappointment at all. Just saying for years the stores have had no clue and they just fought each other and none of them have have had a clue what to put in the stores from a consumer fishing perspective. Scheels (example) is smart, they move and shake each store to "fit" their local area and it drastically increases sales in their stores. From a business perspective that was a huge mistake on Ganders part and thus bankrupt! Also hard to compete against the online giants like Amazon and eBay. Wal-Mart is figuring it out but they are even late to the game....

Edited by Tackle Industries 2/14/2017 6:29 AM
NPike
Posted 2/14/2017 10:12 AM (#849711 - in reply to #849484)

esox911 - 2/12/2017 9:10 AM

I don't really care 1 way or another on their Issue... But living west of Chicago I have a BPS,CABELAS, and Gander near me----Now without a doubt--Unless you are looking for a TEE SHIRT----Gander is a distant last place to the other 2..... As long as there is a BASS PRO and CABELAS--I don't see any need for Gander......

I can better prices
Flambeauski
Posted 2/14/2017 10:36 AM (#849720 - in reply to #849433)

I was in GM, middle of the week, 11 am, 5 customers: Myself buying a license and 4 people SELLING guns.
So here's a place that has little movement of inventory but are BUYING firearms. Cabela's did the same thing a couple years ago too. Didn't work out too well for them either.
Maybe they'll pay off their vendors in guns. Or more likely they won't pay them at all.

Glaucus_
Posted 2/14/2017 2:40 PM (#849751 - in reply to #849691)

Just saying for years the stores have had no clue and they just fought each other and none of them have have had a clue what to put in the stores from a consumer fishing perspective.

Bass Pro Shops currently has an offer to buy Cabela's for $4.5 Billion. That's $4.5 billion, with a "b". That tells me one of those stores is WORTH $4.5 billion, and the other one can AFFORD to pay $4.5 billion. Again, that's $4.5 billion, with a "b."
I'm gonna go out on this limb and suggest that maybe, just maybe, they've got some kind of a clue about something when it comes to marketing and consumer interest.

All those stores feature a heavy dose of outdoors-lifestyle clothing because that's what sells. Clothes and guns keep the doors open, not bobber-stops and hooks. Gander Mountain performed better when they offered decent, affordable clothing under their own label - lower margins, but much higher volume. All this North Face and Kul stuff is nice, but does you no good if it doesn't move off the shelves. Hopefully a restructuring will result in returning to a broader appeal rather than the focus on niche high-end clothes. They need to be in the game, as the competition benefits all of us.
dbach17
Posted 2/14/2017 3:13 PM (#849754 - in reply to #849751)

Regarding competition, which keeps getting mentioned, just wanted to offer up something to think about:

Does the tree fall faster if you have many people pulling on it in different directions, or if all those people grab one rope and pull together?

Not saying competition can't be good, but just imagine if everyone worked together to make the best products/experiences for customers. Now I admit, the problem with that scenario necessitates everyone being a good human being, and that's not always the case unfortunately...
Propster
Posted 2/14/2017 3:32 PM (#849758 - in reply to #849751)

Glaucus_ - 2/14/2017 2:40 PM

All those stores feature a heavy dose of outdoors-lifestyle clothing because that's what sells. Clothes and guns keep the doors open, not bobber-stops and hooks. Gander Mountain performed better when they offered decent, affordable clothing under their own label - lower margins, but much higher volume.

You may have meant lower price point. Gander's or any big box's home brands are traditionally the highest margin items they sell. They are all overseas in the same factories as UA and North Face getting product made for about the same price for same/similar quality items. Whereas the big box can mark that cost up to a retail price that is often lower than the national brand, they still make greater margin on it than they do on the national brand, because they don't have to mark it up to sell to a middle man first (the retailer) and then mark it up again to a retail price.

I would also offer a counter argument to the idea that the big box are better off offering mostly their own home brands. All of them are under pressure to perform and provide better profit, and the one way almost all of them chose to go was to favor home brands over national brands. Sure they still carry some North Face or some UA usually, but qtys are reduced and they wind up cherry picking among all the other slightly less popular national brands that many people still want the option to buy. Case in point - friend of mine went to Cabelas last summer wanting to look at two things - high end rain gear and waders for waterfowling. He especially wanted to look at Simms Pro Gear and a couple others. When he got there and realized that he really didn't have many options other than Guide Wear and Dry Plus, he left pretty disappointed. He went over to a local sporting goods retailer and dropped nearly $1000 on the Simms gear, vowing to never shop at Cabelas again. Just another point of view I thought I'd throw out there. And by the way Cabelas is not doing well (merchandise-wise) and this may be part of the reason. Their bank was profitable recently but not the merchandise part of it.
Glaucus_
Posted 2/14/2017 3:47 PM (#849762 - in reply to #849758)

I would also offer a counter argument to the idea that the big box are better off offering mostly their own home brands.

Your correction on price point versus margin, yes. And a low price point plus big margin = magic...because lower price point also typically means higher sales volume. It doesn't really matter if it's a store brand or not, just that it can be turned over quickly; anything that sits on the shelf is killing them. Big box stores rely on constant stock rotation, each hook on the rack has to be performing or else a different product needs to hang on that hook. If you can sell either 6 sets of Guide Series raingear or 1 set of Simms, you stock the one that gives you best return. Now if you're selling 1 set of GS or 1 set of Simms, the math changes. And of course, if you're going to choose to favor store brands, they'd better be good enough quality that people want to buy them. And guys who promise to "never shop at Cabelas (or BPS or Gander) ever again"? They're lying.

And by the way Cabelas is not doing well (merchandise-wise) and this may be part of the reason. Their bank was profitable recently but not the merchandise part of it.

The Cleveland Cavaliers business lost $40 million last year, in spite of winning the basketball championship. Of course, their business appreciated in value significantly more than their operations lost. Cabela's is doing okay...

Edited by Glaucus_ 2/14/2017 3:49 PM
dfkiii
Posted 2/14/2017 4:28 PM (#849771 - in reply to #849762)

Glaucus_ - 2/14/2017 3:47 PM
The Cleveland Cavaliers business lost $40 million last year, in spite of winning the basketball championship.

That's nothing more than accounting "magic".
Propster
Posted 2/14/2017 5:17 PM (#849781 - in reply to #849433)

BPS offer was I believe $55 share. With news that the deal may not be all that solid I think they were trading at $50 yesterday. So not doing all that well.
miket55
Posted 2/14/2017 5:18 PM (#849782 - in reply to #849691)

Tackle Industries - 2/14/2017 7:27 AM

No disappointment at all. Just saying for years the stores have had no clue and they just fought each other and none of them have have had a clue what to put in the stores from a consumer fishing perspective. Scheels (example) is smart, they move and shake each store to "fit" their local area and it drastically increases sales in their stores. From a business perspective that was a huge mistake on Ganders part and thus bankrupt

I remember when Gander Mt. opened the store in Jackson TN, an hour east of Memphis, and no musky water within 250 miles.. They had two aisles of musky stuff..

I had a ball at the clearance sale..
miket55
Posted 2/14/2017 5:21 PM (#849783 - in reply to #849781)

Propster - 2/14/2017 6:17 PM

BPS offer was I believe $55 share. With news that the deal may not be all that solid I think they were trading at $50 yesterday. So not doing all that well.

The deal was $65.50/share, and has been put on hold by the FTC...at least for a while..

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEVinAkKNYsGMAg0kPxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMT...

Edited by miket55 2/14/2017 5:23 PM
North of 8
Posted 2/14/2017 7:06 PM (#849787 - in reply to #849754)

dbach17 - 2/14/2017 3:13 PM

Regarding competition, which keeps getting mentioned, just wanted to offer up something to think about:

Does the tree fall faster if you have many people pulling on it in different directions, or if all those people grab one rope and pull together?

Not saying competition can't be good, but just imagine if everyone worked together to make the best products/experiences for customers. Now I admit, the problem with that scenario necessitates everyone being a good human being, and that's not always the case unfortunately...

There are good customer service retailers out there, but most folks will go to the store with the cheapest prices. A hardware store I used to frequent was a good example. A lot of folks only shopped there when they needed advice on a project, like replacing an o-ring on a faucet. They went to the big box store for tools and other big ticket items. The store provided excellent customer service. I would pay 5-10% more for power tools, knowing that they stood behind the product and would give great advice before you bought. In fact some times the price was better than the big box, examples being a thickness planer and a high end flooring nailer. But, the reason most hardware stores close is not because they don't provide good service, but because they are more expensive than the big box. People will put up with lousy customer service to save a couple percent.
upnortdave
Posted 2/14/2017 7:24 PM (#849788 - in reply to #849787)

I use to love gander mtn because of the price and quality of their guide wear cloths. 15 yrs or so ago they had awesome heavy flannels for $20. I'd buy couple every year. In fact I still have one left. Now they have these paper thin cheaply made flannels for $45. Then they put all the big name cloths in there at premium prices. That I think forced people to look for deals that they use to get at the store.
I was also looking at replacing my guide series rain bibs, which are awesome, now the new one that less stiching, thinner shoulder straps, and crappy buckles. So instead of REBUYING their product, I forced me to buy a different brand.
Glaucus_
Posted 2/14/2017 7:32 PM (#849790 - in reply to #849781)

Ummm, they were at $33/share the day before Elliot revealed their 11% stake...
Junkman
Posted 2/15/2017 6:38 AM (#849810 - in reply to #849433)

Let me get this straight....you don't get service like you used to get, quality like you used to get, a real person to talk to like you used to get, a real please and thank you like you used to expect, and a chance to talk to the guy who owns the store on the very few occasions when his employees didn't act like you'd expect. Well, you stopped shopping at his store, and he had to close it. Just before that, he got a call from his banker (where you used to keep your money) to tell him he was "out of covenant" with his credit line and needed to bring money from home (where his mortgage had been sold) or lose all he had worked his whole life for. He didn't have any money left from trying to match the prices of the places you shop at now, so he just went home and shared his sad story with his wife and kids, and maybe had too much to drink. You don't have to search for the people who caused all this....just shave with your eyes open, he's right there looking at you!
Copper Thunder
Posted 2/15/2017 7:45 AM (#849816 - in reply to #849810)

Where's the LIKE button?
tackleaddict
Posted 2/15/2017 8:20 AM (#849820 - in reply to #849433)

I gotta say the "guide series" graphite rods are good buy for bass and panfish rods too. BPS has good ones too. Its amazing how light and nice a $60 rod is now a days.
North of 8
Posted 2/15/2017 8:27 AM (#849825 - in reply to #849810)

Junkman - 2/15/2017 6:38 AM

Let me get this straight....you don't get service like you used to get, quality like you used to get, a real person to talk to like you used to get, a real please and thank you like you used to expect, and a chance to talk to the guy who owns the store on the very few occasions when his employees didn't act like you'd expect. Well, you stopped shopping at his store, and he had to close it. Just before that, he got a call from his banker (where you used to keep your money) to tell him he was "out of covenant" with his credit line and needed to bring money from home (where his mortgage had been sold) or lose all he had worked his whole life for. He didn't have any money left from trying to match the prices of the places you shop at now, so he just went home and shared his sad story with his wife and kids, and maybe had too much to drink. You don't have to search for the people who caused all this....just shave with your eyes open, he's right there looking at you!

Amen! Folks will order from an online retailer to save a few cents, and then whine about how the competing brick and mortar store doesn't have great customer service when they need it. A bait shop in northern WI closed after many years in business a while back. People on this board bemoaned its passing but when someone asked those mourning its closure when was the last time they went to the store, let alone purchased something, no response.
Slamr
Posted 2/15/2017 8:42 AM (#849828 - in reply to #849433)

While we bemoan the death of customer service let's look at a small data point in terms of retail: the number one retailer in the nation by sales is Walmart. The company most often sited as having the worst customer service is also Walmart.

Whether we want to admit it or not, since most of us are not independently wealthy (except for Steve Worrall. the man is really the Warren Buffet of the muskie world) we all to some degree or another shop based on price and availability.
MOJOcandy101
Posted 2/15/2017 9:04 AM (#849834 - in reply to #849433)

What concerns me the most about this matter is, has anyone went into a gander since this news? are they having any deals?
North of 8
Posted 2/15/2017 9:06 AM (#849835 - in reply to #849433)

Walmart about two years ago was losing market share and they took a two pronged approach to getting it back. They spent a lot of money and time on strengthening their online business, but they also surveyed customers and found they were unhappy with the lack of customer service and that stores were not properly stocked. Walmart has increased the hourly pay by over a dollar an hour, hired more staff and made keeping adequate inventory a priority. Their sales and profitability has improved. Walmart is the closest grocery store to me and I can see the difference. More employees and they look happier. The produce department no longer has gaping holes where veggies should be. Plus they remodeled the store.
I think Walmart raising starting pay has caused a ripple with other retailers. The Menards a mile away has advertised a higher starting wage as well.
Customers are very sensitive to price but they do demand a certain level of customer service and product availability.
Slamr
Posted 2/15/2017 10:02 AM (#849843 - in reply to #849835)

North of 8 - 2/15/2017 9:06 AM

Walmart about two years ago was losing market share and they took a two pronged approach to getting it back. They spent a lot of money and time on strengthening their online business, but they also surveyed customers and found they were unhappy with the lack of customer service and that stores were not properly stocked. Walmart has increased the hourly pay by over a dollar an hour, hired more staff and made keeping adequate inventory a priority. Their sales and profitability has improved. Walmart is the closest grocery store to me and I can see the difference. More employees and they look happier. The produce department no longer has gaping holes where veggies should be. Plus they remodeled the store.
I think Walmart raising starting pay has caused a ripple with other retailers. The Menards a mile away has advertised a higher starting wage as well.
Customers are very sensitive to price but they do demand a certain level of customer service and product availability.

Good to hear, and yes my data might be a bit aged. I worked at Sears for almost 7 years but left and my retail knowledge is a bit aged. And for the record, we sucked at sales AND customer service.

*and, I'm personally hoping Gander stays around. more companies in the outdoor space = more competition = a better experience for all of us.
Mark Hoerich
Posted 2/15/2017 11:28 AM (#849852 - in reply to #849843)

The cool stories and gimmicks were the best...the "fish call" is a classic.

http://www.startribune.com/herter-s-catalog-is-long-gone-but-not-fo...

Edited by Mark Hoerich 2/15/2017 11:30 AM
esoxaddict
Posted 2/15/2017 2:01 PM (#849884 - in reply to #849433)

I stopped shopping at Gander partly because it's 40 minutes away and there are 2 BPS shops, a Dicks, REI, Orvis, LL Bean, and a Cabela's that are closer to home. Which one am I driving past this week?
25homes
Posted 2/15/2017 2:14 PM (#849886 - in reply to #849475)

Swpamuskyhunter - 2/12/2017 5:21 AM

Gander here in Washington PA is going out of business. All fishing 20-30% off right now. Flambeau Maximizer boxes for $56 etc... if anyone is in the area. Still a decent amount of stuff left and discounts to increase as weeks go on.

yes I live about 7 min from gander...I went to one in robinson about a month ago everything was 50% off or more..was getting lasers for pistols that were $260 for right around $90 hoping to get a scope cheap from washington one...My brother eying that same Flambeau box you speak of...
Mark Hoerich
Posted 2/15/2017 3:02 PM (#849894 - in reply to #849884)

Dude...there's a newer Gander Mountain in Algonquin...
thats like 15 mins N from you, in heavy traffic.

http://www.gandermountain.com/store-locator/details/Algonquin-IL-28...

I hope Gander comes back strong.

Edited by Mark Hoerich 2/15/2017 3:07 PM
Emptynet
Posted 2/15/2017 8:45 PM (#849935 - in reply to #849433)
Subject: RE: Gander Mountain news.

I'm really surprised it took this long. I gave up on Gander years ago when they combined the archery & gun depts. into 1 hunting dept. My stepson wanted a new arrow rest so we stopped at the local GM. The only employee was a woman who was a championship trap shooter and absolutely no help with a bow. She did let me go behind the counter to install & align the arrow rest on his bow. Other customers had lots of questions for me. I should've gotten paid.
Tackle Industries
Posted 2/16/2017 11:52 AM (#850011 - in reply to #849894)

Gander Mt Guide - 2/15/2017 3:08 PM

Mark Hoerich - 2/15/2017 3:02 PM

Dude...there's a newer Gander Mountain in Algonquin...
thats like 15 mins N from you, in heavy traffic.

I hope Gander comes back strong.

being a 17 year employee, I'd like to see that too, but it's time for new management. Top to Bottom.

Gander filled this company with X-Circuit City employees and managers, any coincidence it's failed like Circuit City?

Time to get back to selling competitively and making customers feel good about walking through the door, not like a $ sign who's a target for Credit Cards and useless insurance policies. Give a rat's ass about the people, not just their wallet and credit score.

Keep up the good fight! I hope they come back. Sounds like you are knowledgeable, maybe throw your hat into the fishing manager or sporting good manager role? Good luck!

James
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)