Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Tips for fishing new water

Message Subject: Tips for fishing new water
Musky_Mo16
Posted 1/21/2017 1:50 PM (#847015)
Subject: Tips for fishing new water

This summer I am going to be fishing a few new lakes for Muskie and was hoping that you guys could share some tips and techniques that will help find fish on new water. I will probably be fishing sometime between June and august. Thanks!!
NPike
Posted 1/21/2017 2:38 PM (#847019 - in reply to #847015)
Subject: Re: Tips for fishing new water

A weedline with deep water nearby vs a weedline that only very gradually rolls off into deeper water. Good place to start

Find out what the main baitfish is for the lake your going to and locate where the bait is holding - schooled_up in large numbers in that lake. Fish such as perch, alewives, etc. Locating bait is probably the single biggest draw that I've found for locating musky's both pure and tiger. We've caught them from 5 to 50 FOW if there is a large enough school of baitfish present it will attract them regardless of structure or lack of structure. So it's good to have baits that run at different depths. I mostly cast and use spinners and Jerkbaits up to 20+' and jigs for deeper fish.

I don't know about other parts of the country but July early August is prime time in NYS's inland water ways. Sometimes things can slow a bit in late summer if the water surface temp gets to or exceeds 80 degrees.

My 2Cents

Edited by NPike 1/21/2017 2:49 PM
ToddM
Posted 1/21/2017 3:29 PM (#847024 - in reply to #847015)

Make some trolling passes around the lake or just drive around slow. Great way to find structure.
Emptynet
Posted 1/22/2017 1:02 PM (#847093 - in reply to #847015)
Subject: RE: Tips for fishing new water

Study a good topo map & Google earth pictures of the lake(s) you're looking to fish. The Muskies Inc Lunge Log is a very useful tool available to all MI members. Networking with other members of your MI chapter, if you are a member. If ya got the coin, hiring a guide usually works.
Booch
Posted 1/23/2017 12:11 PM (#847209 - in reply to #847015)

Can't hurt to stop in the local bait shop and strike up a conversation.
Gregarrison
Posted 3/29/2017 3:23 PM (#855322 - in reply to #847015)
Subject: RE: Tips for fishing new water

One thing I have found incredibly useful is the Navionics app on my phone. It's only $15 bucks and it has good quality topo maps of really any lake I have been interested in trying. Also has GPS capabilities but is only as accurate as your phones GPS.

From there you can pick and choose where looks good and start casting away.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)