Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Cold front questions

Message Subject: Cold front questions
enice
Posted 9/24/2016 7:28 AM (#831248)
Subject: Cold front questions

I am headed up for a trip starting Sunday, and for the third time this year will be greeted with a masive cold front. I always struggle in these situations and was wondering if anyone has any advice? Should I fish shallower lakes or deeper lakes? I know the water cooling is good this time of year, but a 10 degree drop in temps is usually a bad thing in my experience. Thanks!

Eric
OnceBit
Posted 9/24/2016 8:54 AM (#831253 - in reply to #831248)
Subject: RE: Cold front questions

In extreme conditions muskies will take cover. The two types of cover they will seek will be 1: The thickest weeds available. 2: Deep water. Yes, deep water is considered cover and is usually the path of least resistance for muskies. They just simply drop down to more stable water conditions. When this happens I think vertical, vertical breaks. I look for the steepest dropping breaks with quick access to deep water near where you where seeing fish earlier. Don't get too caught up on baits selection, the key will be to fish slow in and around these areas throughout the warmest part of the day all a while looking for a big one to creep shallow just enough you can catch em'. If you don't know of any of these spot or you just don't have any confidence with them, the next best thing is to stay on historically good spots and grind them out till a window opens. Remember every given day offers windows of opportunity.
sworrall
Posted 9/24/2016 6:15 PM (#831303 - in reply to #831248)
Subject: Re: Cold front questions

What area of the country are you fishing?
enice
Posted 9/24/2016 6:38 PM (#831304 - in reply to #831303)

Presque Isle/ Boulder Junction area
sworrall
Posted 9/24/2016 6:51 PM (#831306 - in reply to #831248)

Because turn over isn't even close yet, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Next week Wednesday through Tuesday it's going to be in the mid 60's with lows in the upper 40's to low 50's, which is where the temps have been for a couple weeks. Only 2 days in the 50's, this coming Monday and Tuesday. Temps should be 60 or about that at the surface.
enice
Posted 9/24/2016 9:24 PM (#831326 - in reply to #831306)

Thanks everyone for the replies. Hopefully we can figure out a pattern early and catch a few. I'm guessing they'll be shallow, but as they've taught me I'm often wrong. Thanks!

Eric
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)