Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> A Story That I'm Not Even Sure If I Believe

Message Subject: A Story That I'm Not Even Sure If I Believe
nolan aker
Posted 8/22/2016 6:21 PM (#828189)
Subject: A Story That I'm Not Even Sure If I Believe

Today I was bank fishing and throwing my River2Sea Whopper Plopper. I took a bad cast, heard my line snap, and watched it sail. I turned around and hung my head low. My buddy says to me "Uhh, Nolan? Something just blew up where your lure landed." I was skeptical at first, but after I retied a leader and put on a bucktail, I caught my line with my leader, leader clean cut. Hoping I'd be able to walk the bank and find it, but I guess not.
figure 8
Posted 8/22/2016 6:47 PM (#828195 - in reply to #828189)
Subject: RE: A Story That I'm Not Even Sure If I Believe

Sounds like you need better/stronger equipment.. Line and leaders
mnmusky
Posted 8/22/2016 7:06 PM (#828196 - in reply to #828195)
Subject: Re: A Story That I'm Not Even Sure If I Believe

I left a whopper plopper in a tree once. also had a buddy, on the first cast of the season rat nest and snap! there goes a new Medussa. <-- that was funny.
esoxaddict
Posted 8/22/2016 7:35 PM (#828198 - in reply to #828189)

So let me get this straight... Line snapped on a backlash, (we've all done it), lure hits the water, fish eats lure, bites through leader, makes off with lure, and you managed to cast and catch the floating line that was left...

That about sum it up?

I have two: Many years ago, brand new bulldawg, first time throwing one. Giant backlash. When I finally got it all unraveled and retrieved my lure from the bottom of the lake, it was full of teeth marks and missing the tail.

And a mystery that will haunt me forever:

Fishing silver lake... Bright day, calm clear water, sandy bottom, maybe 3 feet deep, throwing a bright orange super shallow manta. Snapped off on a cast. We watched it go. Saw where it landed, and went over to get it. Gone. We could see pebbles and bottle caps and clams and such on the bottom. No weeds, nothing for it to be buried in, no way you could miss a bright orange lure laying in the sand. We circled around for 20 minutes. Never did find it. Best guess is a fish swam off with it, but who knows?

Edited by esoxaddict 8/22/2016 7:45 PM
vegas492
Posted 8/23/2016 10:17 AM (#828237 - in reply to #828189)

I've got two....

I was fishing with a buddy of mine up in Vilas County. Hit a few "B" spots first....docks that sometimes held fish. Buddy takes a cast with a Mepps Giant Killer, blue with silver blades. Cast goes 6 inches too far and hooks the pier. We use the trolling motor to go get it. As I'm reaching for it, I see a 38-40 inch fish under the pier. Tell my buddy to look and when he turns to see it, it comes out from the pier and eats a bluegill right in front of us. 6 inches cost him that fish.

I was fishing with a different buddy on a river system. Long lazy river stretch. Fish had been going on topwater, so I give him a TallyWacker to throw. He gets it hung up in a tree, but the line has gone over the tree and bait is sitting above the water about 3 feet moving like a pendulum. I grab his rod, reel it up a few feet and start rocking the line to flip it back over the branch. I make the move to get it over and it snags a leaf, so I jerk hard on the line to get it through. Bait now hits the water with a loud splash, tons of slack line and a musky blows it up immediately. Fish must have been under that tree starting up just watching that thing rock back and forth. Crazy.

Moments like that are why I keep fishing. I can't remember a lot of the fish I've caught, but those two that never even got hooks into them are two that I will never forget.
Slamr
Posted 8/23/2016 2:25 PM (#828258 - in reply to #828189)

I HAVE IT FIGURED OUT!!!

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Crock.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Crock.jpg (28KB - 392 downloads)
NathanH
Posted 8/24/2016 8:48 AM (#828315 - in reply to #828258)

If you fish/Hunt long enough you will have crazy things happen.
Fishysam
Posted 8/24/2016 9:31 AM (#828324 - in reply to #828189)

I would say the leader broke at the same time as the line, I have had snaplash, retire and then then casted the line right off the rod again without backlash. And I would bet something was staring at the lure and got spooked so it splashed.
johnsonaaro2
Posted 8/30/2016 2:55 PM (#828992 - in reply to #828189)

I remember watching an infisherman movie (doug stange i believe) when i was a kid. One of them had a musky bait hanging over the edge of the boat a foot or two out of the water. A muskie jumped out of the water and grabbed his bait, I watched it over and over again! cool stuff, even cooler that it was caught on film.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)