Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, Teach a man to fish and you can sell him fishing gear for the rest of his life
- (Added by: johnsonaaro2)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> tying bucktail and marabou coils, tips tricks and help!

Message Subject: tying bucktail and marabou coils, tips tricks and help!
PikePeter
Posted 7/3/2016 7:23 AM (#822595)
Subject: tying bucktail and marabou coils, tips tricks and help!

I have been trying to find useful threads on this topic. Have found bits and pieces here and there but not too much solid info on this.

There are tons of tips tricks and stuff like this pertaining to the fly tying aspect of this on other forums and pages, books and so on, but, that is only geared towards streamers and tube-flies, which are, compared to spinners, incredibly small and not with the same needs that goes in to making them for spinners.

I asked a few questions in this thread regarding this:
http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=11...

But, it was a bit off topic and also I ended up writing an incredibly long-winded and messy post (which this is also turning in to, need to get to the point QUICK!!! and end this rambling).

But, now to my propsed idea regarding this thread;

PLEASE PUT ALL YOUR TIPS AND TRICKS (+questions) REGARDING THE TYING OF BUCKTAIL/MARABOU/TINSEL/(insert material of choice) COILS (or tubes or whatever you are using to tie on) FOR SPINNERS IN THIS THREAD!

kind regards, tight lines, and, successful solid hook-ups from the north of sweden!
/peter
PikePeter
Posted 7/3/2016 7:30 AM (#822596 - in reply to #822595)
Subject: Re: tying bucktail and marabou coils, tips tricks and help!

I'll go first...

As said above, I asked a few questions in another thread regarding this, and have now after a lot more experimentation and tying come to the conclusion that kevlar-thread is NOT a good choice when tying with bucktail, at least not in my experience. I much prefer "regular" thick thread, the one I am using is a Gütermann CA02776, cheap binds well, holds up for a lot of pull (I don't think I will ever break it while tying, no matter how hard I pull, I'll sooner twist the tube/coil off of my tying vice before that happening).

I find the Kevlar-thread is too "slippery" for the bucktail, I find it difficult to tie solidly and make nice thread-wraps on the bucktail without it slipping.
But, the kevlar is very strong and good and makes for "neat" tying as it is thin. But, for me at least, I don't really mind the small added bulk the regular thread brings as I am not making any small flies nowadays but instead tying for spinners only.

Though, for tying ONLY MARABOU (often I make tubes/coils with bucktail/marabou, buck in the back/marabou in the front) I find the kevlar very useful and neat.

/peter
PikePeter
Posted 7/11/2016 2:04 PM (#823273 - in reply to #822595)

After some experimenting with different types of sticky stuff (varnish, epoxy, superglue and so on) when tying BUCKTAIL, I have come to the conclusion that Loons Hard Head is my favorite of all those, for a couple of reasons:

1. it is odorless (and according to label, non-toxic), so, you can go ahead and get working and slabbing it on generously even indoors and/or with poor ventilation (though, do not take my word for it in regards as to any health-risks if going sans ventilation, as I KNOW NOTHING OF it other than what the label says/my own nose and head). And, you can do it even if it is not friday/saturday (the regular days where it is usually OK to get "wonky" in the free world) without fear of feeling like your hammered...

2. when it has dried, it gets hard (name implies it as well) but, it is still kinda "rubbery" in its texture, which seems to be REALLY making the bucktail last long and hold together in ways way more than any other material. This is if/when you use it as a sealer WHILE tying the bucktail, something I am guessing everyone is doing with whatever chemical of choice.
But, for clarity as to what I mean; use it adding a bit here and there in the process of tying in the different piles of hair until desired size/mass of hair of that particular coil has been achieved.
I steered away from trying this (using it for all things) for a long time, dunno why, I just kinda figured it would be messy (which it kinda is, more on that later) and just used it for building nice heads as a finisher and otherwise mostly stuck to the varnish, which was my favorite until I tried using the hard head for EVERYTHING sticky on the coils.

3. It doesn't dry very fast, which, as seen below can be a con as well as a pro... it depends on how/when you make your coils, and, also how you choose to apply and build your coils, but, with a bit (not much needed in my experience as long as you have some knowledge and experience of tying stuff) of experimentation you'll be able to make really nice and solid bucktails quite fast (though, I would suggest after finalising them to let them just "sit and dry" for at least 24hrs before fishing with them, not that I have any knowledge of exact hardening-times on this, especially not as you'll have slightly different amounts of the stuff on each and every one of your coils, hey, you are only human eh?).
Another good thing about this is that is actually gets far down in between fibres of the hair if you start adding the hard head while not finished with the tying down of the particular clump of hair you are working on, this is especially true if you only have a few "holding wraps" to slightly secure the hair. Start adding the hard head then even before really tightening down on the hair and you'll literally see the stuff seep in between the hairs, especially if tying a hair of brighter color (like fuo yellow like I did today).

The downside to it?
1. it doesn't dry very fast. Also notice that this was also on the "pro" list above, and, well, that is because if used to your advantage it can actually be a benefit. But, if you are hasty and sloppy you'll get some trouble, dripping is also a concern if you are a bit sloppy (like myself) and a turning tying vice is HIGHLY recommended so you can be ready and just spin the coil around to even out any "drips-to-be" by just turning the vice.

2. unless you are very skilled with either the brush in the bottle (which kinda sucks I'll admit) or whatever tool you like using, you will get messy. I prefer using it WHILE tying and adding hair, which take some (but not much) of training and experimenting (like how long should you wait after applying and letting it sink in before working in more thread/adding hair and so on) and will get you a bit messy, and, unless you are using clear hard head you should take care if tying hairs of different colors as if the underlying (past layer of hair/hard head) is too wet it might stain and color the next clump of hair slightly. This is actually not something I find "bad" per se (I actually kinda like it), but, if you are tying "slightly commercial" (or completely? well, I don't so I only have to care about my own preferences) you should take note as your customers might not like this look...
Also, I almost always tie with mainly black bucktail, also most often at least end my coils on a black note, so, I usually don't really care about anything like this happening, no biggie at all for me.

ADDITIONAL NOTE!!!
Above I talk about using clear hard head and such, I must say I have NOT used that myself (only black) so if it ends up somewhere you don't want on the various choices of color of bucktail you've made, be careful and take note (and come back with any info you might have) as it might still do something to the color of it???
Though, I am kinda guessing it won't really stain anything, just maybe make it a bit stiffer/rubbery'erish... :D
PikePeter
Posted 7/11/2016 2:10 PM (#823277 - in reply to #822595)

I'll also add a link here to the facebook-page I have started (just a few days ago I think if I remember correctly) where I just kinda put all kinds of random photos and info on my spinners... take a look if you want, and, alsp like, add and invite whomever you feel like might take interest in it!!!

https://www.facebook.com/%C3%96verkill-G%C3%A4ddspinners-15825604720...

As said above, I do NOT tie and build commercially, I just enjoy building them and fishing them. So, the above facebook page is more like kinda a "blog" or whatever one would call it, just some place where I can add all my photos regarding this "weird" hobby of mine without flooding my regular facebook with that stuff.

But, I will be giving away some spinners to friends, and, also selling to friends and whoever might be interested for my cost of whatever materials goes in to the spinner. Hey, as said, I really enjoy building and tying them, but, I can't fish with more than one spinner at a time!!! So, need to find some way to "get rid" of a few in the coming years I suppose.. :D

As always, kind regards and tight lines from the north of sweden!!!
/peter

Edited by PikePeter 7/11/2016 2:13 PM
PikePeter
Posted 7/11/2016 2:52 PM (#823284 - in reply to #822595)

Another good tip, or at least pointer to someone new in handling bucktail is:

the further away from the tip of the tail you pick your hairs it is;
1. shorter
2. "curlier"
3. more underlying fur to pick away before tying it in
4. it will "fan out" waaaaaay more than the hair closer to the tip. Like, it will "explode" if you tighten down har on it, which makes for a great sedge-flie after tying and trimming but might not be welcome on your coil. BUT!!! this is something I like to use for effect at times. If tied like the last bundle of hair(s) on the coil it can make for a very nice big coil that has a bit more bulk to it without actually adding any bulk, just wider spread so to speak, but, this could be a dis-heartening surprise to anyone not already experienced in the tying of this kind of hair, it is the most natural to take hairs from that end when you have never used it before, and, at least for me, had I not know this before ever making a coil and accidentally using this hair with the intention of making a big nice long bucktail-spinner I think I would've just given up in an instant and thrown it all in the trash... :D

/peter
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)