Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: she's so out of touch she don't know if it's tuesday or february
- (Added by: jonnysled)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Making Spinnerbaits and Bucktails

Message Subject: Making Spinnerbaits and Bucktails
Steveessie
Posted 6/15/2016 8:21 PM (#820736)
Subject: Making Spinnerbaits and Bucktails

Got a lot of freetime on my hands and would like some opinions on what type of lure making device is the "best" out there for making spinnerbaits and bucktails? Also, where do you luremakers usually buy your materials?

Thanks in advance...fish on!
rangerr83
Posted 6/15/2016 8:46 PM (#820740 - in reply to #820736)
Subject: Re: Making Spinnerbaits and Bucktails

There is a section in the different topics for basement baits and customs if u scroll down, alot of helpful people in there id suggest moving the post to there
NickD
Posted 6/16/2016 8:35 AM (#820767 - in reply to #820736)

I don't make any spinnerbaits but for making your own inlines all you need is a round nose pliers, vice grip, and a quality needle nose. I buy some of my components from Thorne Brothers if I want to see the items in person first. Otherwise I order stuff from Lure Parts Online. They have a great selection of all sorts of lure making components.

If you intend to tie your own bucktail/marbou/flashabou coils I would strongly suggest getting a decent vice. Just makes the process a lot more enjoyable.

Lots of great threads to look through in the basement builders forum on here is as well.
Tommy
Posted 6/17/2016 7:38 AM (#820905 - in reply to #820736)

I just started making my own bucktails over the winter, and actually netted my first musky on the year on one of them! I ordered a bunch of parts from Moore's Lures around Christmas, and plan on placing another order once I have some more cash.

1 question I have on painted blades. Does anybody else have the issue of the paint chipping off right away? It seems like I wouldn't have that problem when I bought Cowgirls, the color wouldn't chip so quickly. I'm not sure if there's something I should paint on the blade to make it last longer, or if there's a different kind of blade I should get.
Sidejack
Posted 6/20/2016 8:09 AM (#821104 - in reply to #820905)

I've sprayed a light coat of spar varnish on some and had good luck.
Protect a table with something and them hang um by the blades like below and spray towards the center of the table to avoid getting any on the beads or skirt.
A light coat is all that's needed.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(HGH.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments HGH.JPG (33KB - 485 downloads)
PikePeter
Posted 6/26/2016 3:10 PM (#821827 - in reply to #820736)

As this seems to be an active and nice thred I thought I'd add some of my (perhaps confused) questions in regards to making inline spinners. I have just gotten started on making my own spinners (for pike, preferably BIG pikes of course :D ) and have found I have a few questions for you seasoned veterans out there....

The assembling and bending and stuff like that is no problem, I just use needle-nose pliers and a pair of locking pliers, basically all needed for me (I have bought some pre-cut pieces, around 11-12", of 0.051 wire, so bending is not an issue) and the construction is really simple and quite fast with good results in regards to how they are running.

What has me "confused" or at least rasing a few (a lot???) of questions on my part is the tying of the bucktail and marabou on to the coils I have. This was something I figured would pose to be NO PROBLEM AT ALL, but, now I am finding myself scratching my head in regards to a few of theese things. Reason for me not thinking much of it is the amount of flies I've tied throughout my years of fishing...

Well, now, to my actual questions...sorry about the rant (which I always seem to go on whenever writing anything):

1. how do you guys tie the bucktail??? I am guessing (from seeing a lot of bucktail spinners) you just tie it on "regular" so to speak (dunno what that is "termed" in fly-tying language??? :D ) and not reverse?
I have tried once to tie it on "reverse", which might be interesting to try out but is a bit time consuming and, I guess, (haven't tried casting as it was ONLY a trial build and then tear down thing I did for a quick test) most likely VERY hard to cast as it gets very "wide" so I guess it would catch a lot of air.

I find it VERY difficult to build up a nice bulk and shape of bucktail, incredibly frustrating and even though using kevlar thread (or because???) and having the ability to really "crank down" on it (+using a lot of varnish in between all the steps of tying in/closing off any bunch of hair I tie in) I find stuff just plain getting messed up/thread slipping and so on... maybe it is just me needing more practice with doing really big bulky things with bucktail? As said, have tied more flies than I care to remember, bucktail stuff included such as big streamers, pike flies and so on, well, nothing really had me prepared for this to be honest...

2. Marabou??? this I find a lot more easy to work with, kinda, but, same question here? how do you guys tie it in??? I have only done two big spinners for pikes with marabou just recently, both look OK and move nicely in the water, but, there are just so many things possible to do with it in regards to tying it in I feel like I want some pointers from guys more experienced in this area. As before, I have used it in "regular" fly tying, done big damsel flies and wolly buggers and stuff like that, but, now, kinda a whole "new" deal.

For the to different spinners where I have used marabou, I just tied one on at the tip (in the "back and forth"-style to prevent it from ever being able to slip) varnished the tie-in and waited and then tightly "palmered" (I think that is the term for body hackle?) it forward stroking the hackle backwards as to prevent the hackle from catching on to itself (to much at least, some fibres are bound to get caught of course when working with long turkey marabou), tied it off when the stem got to hard, varnished, then another feather and so on, until coil were just a ball of fluffy marabou (looks kinda like pics I've seen of some mepps musky marabou).

But, do you guys do this as well??? other techniques you prefer more? like tying in parts of or even whole feathers to get more length? or stripping fibres off of the stems and tying that in???

anyways, sorry for this crazy-long ramble, just had some small questions that sounded quick and to the point, but, sat down and wrote this mess, anyways, hope someone has the energy to read at least parts of it and share some knowledge!

All the best and tight lines from the north of sweden!

/peter
Brad P
Posted 6/27/2016 8:37 AM (#821866 - in reply to #820736)

I'll add a question in here. Which wire former is recommended for musky sized wire?
PikePeter
Posted 6/27/2016 11:48 AM (#821894 - in reply to #821866)

Brad P - 6/27/2016 3:37 PM

I'll add a question in here. Which wire former is recommended for musky sized wire?

I, as said above, only use a pair of regular pliers and a pair of locking pliers, but, in this thread different brands and stuff are discussed in regards as to bending the wire and forming nice spinners:
http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=11...

seems like the Du Bro Bucktail Twister or the Hagens are the two options that come up first at least. Hope this helps! I have no experience in this area so hopefully some other guys can chime in as well!

kind regards
/peter

Edited by PikePeter 6/27/2016 12:12 PM
5th lake Brad
Posted 6/27/2016 8:30 PM (#821963 - in reply to #821866)

Brad P - 6/27/2016 8:37 AM

The wire benders are a waste of time and money. All you need are round nose pliers and a couple pair of vice grip locking pliers.
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 6/27/2016 8:46 PM (#821968 - in reply to #821963)

These work too...

http://www.michaels.com/10121793.html#start=44
bigbite
Posted 6/28/2016 7:18 AM (#822004 - in reply to #821968)

Those are good for thinner gauge wire (maybe up .051?), but for the heavy stuff
(.062 +) I prefer the Knipex round nose.

Edited by bigbite 6/28/2016 7:18 AM
dpfishing
Posted 8/24/2016 10:13 AM (#828327 - in reply to #820736)

where can i get heavy spinnerbait molds,3,4,5&6 ounces
dpfishing
Posted 8/24/2016 10:51 AM (#828328 - in reply to #820736)

where can i get heavy spinnerbait molds,3,4,5&6 ounces
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)