Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Am I just being paranoid?

Message Subject: Am I just being paranoid?
Shep
Posted 6/7/2016 10:10 AM (#819633 - in reply to #819613)
Subject: Re: Am I just being paranoid?

About 2003, I stopped for breakfast in Fond Du Lac on my way up to fish walleyes. When I got to the ramp in Oshkosh, I noticed my bag full of about 1500 crankbaits was gone! I called home to see if I left it in the garage. Nope. I tore the back of my truck apart. Nope. My bags with jigs and rigging tackle were there. Only the big bag of boxes full of cranks were gone. I was sick, as it wasn't just the number, it was that there were a lot of my old favorites, and discontinued baits gone. Baits that I'll never find again. I was pretty upset, and never left stuff out in the boat after that.
ulbian
Posted 6/7/2016 11:17 AM (#819646 - in reply to #819551)

cincinnati - 6/6/2016 8:18 PM

A co-worker smelled gear lube as he was leaving for work & discovered that the lower unit had been stolen off his bass boat overnight.

This needs to be highlighted a little bit more. It made me laugh.

Lifting some rods or a tackle box is pretty easy to do...then there's the guy that's going to have the tools along with the intention of finding a lower unit...not just a lower unit...but the one that will fit on his/her boat and steals that. That's called determination.

What a crazy idea for a prank. To heck with toilet papering someone's yard, putting a live raccoon in their house when they are gone, or something else relatively straightforward...nope...if you want to really mess with someone just remove the lower unit off of their boat motor. The mark's reaction would be priceless. A raccoon in a house is something the brain could handle a little bit easier than a missing lower unit. That would definitely make for a "square peg doesn't fit into round hole" scenario.

Redlineracer12
Posted 6/7/2016 11:42 AM (#819651 - in reply to #819495)

Nope you're not paranoid. I take all my rods and tackle boxes out of the boat when I'm leaving it outside overnight (whether that's docked or in a parking lot on the trailer). When on the trailer I also cover it after taking out all the goods just to keep people from peeking. It's a huge hassle as it involves taking trolling motors off and the whole 9 yards but worth a little more piece of mind. I don't know how you guys do it that don't have garage parking for your rigs.

Half the reason I want a new boat is just so I can get big enough rod lockers and tackle storage to lock things up inside it.
btfish
Posted 6/7/2016 2:04 PM (#819685 - in reply to #819651)

This is a very good post and one everyone should take to heart. Lots of good comments already.

First it is no secret that (honest guys are honest) & (bad guys will get into anything they want - Locked or not) But keeping things out of sight will reduce temptation.

Let me bring up one more point. Be nice to the guys you share the docks with. It's a long story so I will keep it short. But one year on LOTW 2 (hot shots) (for lack of better terms) acted like they owned the dock, never helped others tie up, or lend a helping hand, and never ran their boat lights. They also talked morning an night how great they were but NEVER gave any of the guys struggling to catch fish any advice. (Get the picture)

Well guess what, one of the other boats on the dock who was struggling to catch fish decided to leave a few days early. The next day when the hot shots came down to there boat (they did have a Tranx anymore). I can't prove it but I know in my mind the guys who left early took it. The resort owner hardly even responded when the guys told him about it.

But that's not the only time I have seen things taken out of boat (EVEN ON LOTW). Now the resort owners will always tell you, no problem leave everything. I would too if I was trying to run a business. Who would go to a place that is known to have theft issues.

One of the main reasons I purchased my Tuffy 1760 is so I can put my 8'6" rods away and can put most of my tackle in compartments if I want too. Many times I don't even lock it up but it is put away which helps me sleep at night.

Also if you guys own a cabin with a garage, I would recommend installing a security system. I know of so many things that have been taken it would make you sick. (Log Splitters, chain saws, small outboards, and even utility tractors) and let's face it the Police force or Sheriffs department in the north are lean outfits so they will never find it and the locals can pattern your movements very easily.

It is a sad reality.

Wood_Duck
Posted 6/7/2016 7:49 PM (#819754 - in reply to #819495)

Anytime I have to stop somewhere where I'll be out of direct line of sight I cram all my stuff in the 4Runner. It's a pain in the butt, but lose one Tranx/LT rod and you're out $7-800.
BigC
Posted 6/8/2016 11:29 AM (#819849 - in reply to #819495)

They took my portable gas tank twice last year, right out of my driveway. First time I got all the way to the launch and was doing the final checklist and I was like something's missing...oh my freakin gas tank.

Second time I had just stopped at home for a quick bite to eat was home maybe 45mins before heading back out and they snagged it again. Middle of the day on a pretty busy street. Now it has a chain attached to it and a nice note for anyone that might be thinking about taking it and what I think about them.

Gear always travels in the car and is locked up, trolling motor and gas tank now get locked away each and everytime.

We live in a different world.

Edited by BigC 6/8/2016 11:31 AM
Fishysam
Posted 6/8/2016 12:31 PM (#819858 - in reply to #819495)

So I travel with a Honda eu2000 generator well not that it is a deterrent to theft but inside the oil change pannel there is a note "property of Sam xxxx.... Not to be sold or exchanged please call 701........" Lol also i have a bike chain and lock so it wouldn't be easy and it's not in sight. Out of sight keeps interest down.
chrisshow80
Posted 6/8/2016 9:59 PM (#819951 - in reply to #819495)
Subject: RE: Am I just being paranoid?

Thieves... terrible. Wether people realize it or not thievery is ripe and among us. As i drive down the road and see these "bernie" stickers on vehicles i can not help but think as William Shakespeare said.... " i would not put a thief in my mouth to steal my brains."
djwilliams
Posted 6/9/2016 5:29 PM (#820061 - in reply to #819495)

When I stop to eat I can see the truck and boat. When I go into Fleet Farm someone stays at the boat. I pull the boat up next to my place at the lake. I do leave my stuff in the boat at the dock when I leave it the dock cause there are 50 boats with better stuff. Never lost anything in 24 years of going up. Lucky.
sjb42
Posted 6/10/2016 8:32 PM (#820202 - in reply to #819495)

Yeah that has happened to me also so you are not paranoid. Thieves are waiting for just such a chance to strike. I tell people look with your eyes not your hands.
7ovr50
Posted 6/12/2016 1:47 PM (#820324 - in reply to #819495)

My rods are always locked up. My deck boxes pad locked and bolted to the floor. I always leave a few " won't ever be used" baits in easy reach to protect my go to tackle when ever the boat is out of sight in case some one with sticky fingers is around take the easy ones leave my go to s alone My spare tire is locked and chained to the trailer and I have 'theft proof' locks on the trailer and hitch pin. Oh ya all this is just at the dock when I fish solo while parking or getting my trailer. I 've been ripped off at the dock before. And to top it off I have the trailer ball welded and locked and a "Club" on my truck while fishing!! If I could do more I would. How's that for "normal"?

Edited by 7ovr50 6/12/2016 1:54 PM
gregk9
Posted 6/12/2016 11:59 PM (#820378 - in reply to #819495)

For you guys that had rods stolen out of your boat - these are rods laying there, not locked in a rod locker, yes?

7ovr50 - where the heck do you fish that you're getting ripped off at the dock??
sjb42
Posted 6/13/2016 11:54 AM (#820426 - in reply to #820324)

70ovr50 I have all those measures too, and yes I've heard of solo fisherman docking their boat to get the truck and trailer and then they get ripped off. Thieves are brazin and daring and don't care about anything but their addiction being fed. Muskie fisherman be warned, people know Muskie fisherman got a lot of expensive gear. That's ringing the dinner bell for would be thieves.
esoxaddict
Posted 6/13/2016 12:34 PM (#820432 - in reply to #819495)

This is why I cringe when I see the guys with Musky Hunter, Muskies Inc./etc decals plastered all over their trucks and boats.

May as well put a sign up that says "tons of expensive stuff on board, help yourself!!"

AndrewR
Posted 6/17/2016 11:28 PM (#820983 - in reply to #819495)

In October 2008 I got front window smashed in at a boat landing in Boulder Jct. WI. Whoever did it walked away with 4 musky rods but left all the bait boxes behind. Pretty sure it was a hunter on foot..... seen a guy dressed in orange snooping and scoping around the landing about an hour after we had launched....

Lesson learned since then. I never leave anything valuable in tow vehicle. And boat-less people who hang out at boat landings are weird and creepy people.

As for leaving the boat unattended...... When towing boat and having to park it somewhere while running errand or out for a meal, I will keep my rig covered and strapped down. Lockers locked up also. Make it hard for the clowns. Additionally if I have to run into somewhere for a few minutes and have a buddy along with me, I'll make him guard and patrol until I return, and vice-versa.... Also, if I'm really close to home, I'll drop off the boat at the crime-free residence and I can run out to town then.

Unfortunately I have a few acquaintances in 2015 who had items stolen from their boats from various locations throughout Vilas Co. Broad daylight, public places. It's sad how desperate some people can be.

Don't leave your treasures exposed, and available for the taking.
pitch'n
Posted 6/18/2016 6:29 PM (#821015 - in reply to #819495)

I like to hide a cheep small trail cam that looks over my rig when parked, easy to hide one if you think about it. If you get hit you have photo's for the Cops. they know most of the local scum-bags..Also have a tip-up alarm rigged with a mono trip wire in the boat when it's at the dock overnight ...Yes I'm paranoid, but also pro-active.
mm3
Posted 6/19/2016 9:55 AM (#821048 - in reply to #821015)

For me this whole thing is kinda sad. Good to know, but really disappointing. I've fished the harbors in Chicago for salmon and seen some pretty weird sh** - that's why I don't do it anymore. I like to go up north for the wilderness and solidarity. I've stayed summers with my grandparents in Northern Wisconsin since I was a kid and been going back ever since. I was always fully aware (grandpa kept a loaded .38 and shot gun ready to go) that anything could happen - especially with no police around. I also realized there are a few poverty areas that were prone to this kind of thing. However, some of the broad daylight stuff and areas that you are talking (Vilas, Boulder Junction, WI north woods etc.) is down right scary (and pathetic).

Edited by mm3 6/19/2016 9:57 AM
gregk9
Posted 6/19/2016 10:36 AM (#821050 - in reply to #821048)

mm3 - 6/19/2016 9:55 AM

However, some of the broad daylight stuff and areas that you are talking (Vilas, Boulder Junction, WI north woods etc.) is down right scary (and pathetic).

Down right disgusting!! I'm assuming this this fishermen stealing other fisherman's stuff?? That's just wrong on sooo many levels!!!!!
Pepper
Posted 6/19/2016 3:49 PM (#821073 - in reply to #819495)

I guess I have been lucky so far nothing has been taken even with leaving all the stuff in the boat at the dock or in the parking lot at the motel overnight.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)