Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: For every winner there are dozens of losers...odds are, you're one of them
- (Added by: sorenson)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> First attempts at musky baits!!

Message Subject: First attempts at musky baits!!
Eastman03
Posted 4/13/2016 11:00 PM (#814024)
Subject: First attempts at musky baits!!

Lots of trial and error, and patience. And lots and lots of reading. This forum along with many others and youtube has been most helpful. Still no where near perfection by any means, but hoping to get a musky on my own crankbait this fall.  Thanks to all those who post results and tips, and advice, it all helps!

Plow drying photo image_5.jpeg

photo image_11.jpeg

Problems with Etex.

photo image_12.jpeg

Second paint job just finished tonight.  Still need to get the process down better, and stop scratching the paint.  Also need to find a better mesh and figure out how to make the fins and gills a bit better.  Overall very happy with it.

photo IMG_2211.jpg

rougarou
Posted 4/14/2016 12:58 AM (#814031 - in reply to #814024)
Subject: Re: First attempts at musky baits!!

looks as if your are putting to much on or not using a wheel
mnmusky
Posted 4/14/2016 10:48 AM (#814067 - in reply to #814024)

Love the yellow one. I swear fish give more attention to blurry/mottled paint with simple, 2 or 3 color contrast.
unless your making a display, collector bait, I see no need to spend more than 5 minutes painting a lure. I'm sure I'm in the minority here. .of course lure action /performance trumps all and pretty paint tends to drive sales and price. The bait people have been waiting 2 hours to buy is a good example of a great performing bait with basic, fast paint jobs.
rougarou
Posted 4/14/2016 4:17 PM (#814099 - in reply to #814024)

all detail work that i do is thin paint way down so you can spray at about 5-6 lb presure remember to seal wood then before painting put on base coat usually white even if epoxey
Eastman03
Posted 4/14/2016 6:16 PM (#814109 - in reply to #814024)

Yup I agree. I almost always have some
Combination of black orange or blue silver. I'm sure the musky won't be to particular of my side fin at 4 mph. Lol. Thanks for the compliments. I believe the etex was too thick for sure ( also my turner was not level). I sorta have it down. Still some bubbles but I can live with that.
I dipped the wood in spar urethane and put a layer of etex under the primer before the paint job. Hope to do a couple layers of etex on top now that I'm done paint.

Have any of you added glitter? Can I mix a real fine glitter into my first top coat of etex? Or how would you add it?
Thanks for the low pressure tip. Haven't messed really at all with pressures yet.
rougarou
Posted 4/14/2016 7:30 PM (#814116 - in reply to #814024)

i warm the etex before i mix as far as bubbles hit with heat gun and agin after you apply let the etex sit 5 min before applying look for bubbles hit with gun agin
ESOX Maniac
Posted 4/15/2016 12:28 AM (#814157 - in reply to #814024)
Subject: RE: First attempts at musky baits!!

Very nice....keep experimenting! ... The final epoxy finish needs a wheel or you can thin it more and wait for setting. But, those may run perfect w/ the protruberance's. FYI- craft shop's have really great patterns - lace, etc. Impervious finishes are overrated. It's better to have the bait chewed up and the finish ruined, than to not catch anything!

Have fun!
Al
Landonfish
Posted 4/17/2016 6:35 AM (#814319 - in reply to #814024)

You can mix glitter into your clear coat or I buy aerosol glitter and just spray on the bait before clear coat.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)