Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> The dismantling of the MN muskie program?

Message Subject: The dismantling of the MN muskie program?
dfkiii
Posted 4/7/2016 12:00 PM (#813049 - in reply to #812984)
Subject: Re: The dismantling of the MN muskie program?

thescottith - 4/7/2016 11:35 AM
Also, you expect all muskie fisherman to be perfect? you will always have bad apples in every bunch, Muskie Fisherman, Walleye fisherman, Cops, priests....etc.
People are People and a perfect group doesnt exist.... Dream for Utopia all you want...it will never happen....

Exactly, but accepting/allowing the bad behavior only serves to reinforce it. People's minds can be changed. Lead by example and correct bad behavior when you see it. If a few poorly behaved musky fishermen can see the light and be better citizens on the lakes then perhaps a few lakeshore owners will start off with a better perception.

While the road to "Utopia" may be a long one, we'll never get closer to it unless we're collectively willing take a few steps.
thescottith
Posted 4/7/2016 12:08 PM (#813051 - in reply to #813049)

Why Muskies are Bad? misconception in my mind. Just like people blaming wolves...Wolves are bad and savages and kill all the deer.? ah no. People by into Myths and such really easy, believe what they are told by friends or parents, authority figures without doing any real research or looking into things.
I know I see crazy stuff on the water from Every group of fisherman and none fisherman. I dont accept it but what can i do? you can try and educate people and hope for the best... but people are stubborn and set in there ways...I have met people that straight up say... I'm an AS#$#%$# and if you dont like...too bad..

Edited by thescottith 4/7/2016 12:09 PM
14ledo81
Posted 4/7/2016 12:08 PM (#813054 - in reply to #813048)

jonnysled - 4/7/2016 12:00 PM

yet
the walleye group
the crappie group
the sunfish group
the bass group
the priests
the cops

will all hit Gull Lake and enjoy the fishery this coming season. if all are the same, then why is the musky and the musky group being denied?

you really believe it's because they want to close the ramp to anyone but lake home owners?

Why does it have to be an either/or? Can it be a little of both?
esoxaddict
Posted 4/7/2016 12:12 PM (#813056 - in reply to #813048)

Been over a decade for me hanging around the musky crowd and chasing these fish...

Based on what I've seen and heard and experienced, it's a combination of misunderstanding the impacts of muskies in a lake, and perhaps more importantly not wanting a bunch of loud/foul mouthed musky fishing jerks fishing their lakes.

It's easy to generalize, and we all do it. There are a lot of great people in musky fishing. But there are also quite a few that likely leave a bad taste in the mouth of most people they encounter.

THAT is the biggest problem, IMO.

mnmusky
Posted 4/7/2016 12:19 PM (#813058 - in reply to #813056)

Who are these musky guys being obnoxious to on the lakes?
I fish very crowded musky lakes loaded with musky anglers and i can't recall a single incident where I thought a musky angler was out of line. Jet ski's and wake board boats? All the time. Lots of attitude in musky fishing but I can't say I've seen it on the water.
thescottith
Posted 4/7/2016 12:19 PM (#813060 - in reply to #813056)

^Bingo
People remember and concentrate on the bad, never mind all the muskie guys taking vets and the disabled fishing, doing cancer benefits, memorial funds or...
esoxaddict
Posted 4/7/2016 12:21 PM (#813061 - in reply to #813058)

mnmusky - 4/7/2016 12:19 PM

Who are these musky guys being obnoxious to on the lakes?
I fish very crowded musky lakes loaded with musky anglers and i can't recall a single incident where I thought a musky angler was out of line. Jet ski's and wake board boats? All the time. Lots of attitude in musky fishing but I can't say I've seen it on the water.

All it takes is one. 100 will go by unnoticed, but the one guy with the loud stereo, yelling and swearing in the boat, tearing around the lake at WOT, etc. is what people will remember.
dfkiii
Posted 4/7/2016 12:25 PM (#813062 - in reply to #813060)

thescottith - 4/7/2016 12:19 PM

^Bingo
People remember and concentrate on the bad, never mind all the muskie guys taking vets and the disabled fishing, doing cancer benefits, memorial funds or...

How are all of the genuine and notable deeds done by musky guys positively affecting people's experiences on the lake ? Answer: they don't. Focus on where the problem originates.

jonnysled
Posted 4/7/2016 12:27 PM (#813063 - in reply to #812984)

Where are the Musky guys who care so much about Mille Lacs just down the road? Now, I agree that misinformation is what it is but it is information. Information from any source gives life to opinion and the opinion of Muskies to general fishermen and lake home owners is not what you believe it should be. But the example is you come in big and leave a wake behind you when you leave town for the next frontier.
jvlast15
Posted 4/7/2016 12:42 PM (#813068 - in reply to #813063)

What a bunch we got here. What a bunch.
MartinTD
Posted 4/7/2016 12:49 PM (#813070 - in reply to #812984)

The sheer size of musky lures being thrown these days will also turn some heads. When the lure you're throwing is bigger than any fish they're catching, somehow that can be turned into a negative experience. That, and most people don't appreciate pounders and such being bombed anywhere near their boat while panfishing.

As musky fishermen we are not being treated fairly... haha. I can't help the fact my hands are bigger than theirs. HA

Edited by MartinTD 4/7/2016 12:57 PM
ToddM
Posted 4/7/2016 12:51 PM (#813071 - in reply to #812984)

Do they have bass tournaments on pelican? You know those guys in they're rocket ships casting around and under everyone's dock and boat? Is there big opposition?
jvlast15
Posted 4/7/2016 12:55 PM (#813073 - in reply to #812984)

I don't see this so much as a musky fisherman are terrible people argument. I do see this as a lake usage battle. Gull lake is already fairly popular. Once you throw muskies into the lake the boat traffic increases at a very large rate. The folk lore surrounding muskie fishing...big teeth, eat all the walleyes and every other fish, cant swim in the water, etc...gives the people who are against musky stocking a shield to hide behind. You can prove these facts wrong all you want, but they will still use this misinformation because they cannot use the real reason they do not want you to stock muskie: they do not want you on the lake they own property on.

Edited by jvlast15 4/7/2016 1:01 PM
Espy
Posted 4/7/2016 1:02 PM (#813076 - in reply to #813073)

jvlast15 - 4/7/2016 12:55 PM

I don't see this so much as a musky fisherman are terrible people argument. I do see this as a lake usage battle. Gull lake is already fairly popular. Once you throw muskies into the lake the boat traffic increases at a very large rate. The folk lore surrounding muskie fishing...big teeth, eat all the walleyes and every other fish, cant swim in the water, etc...gives the people who against musky stocking a shield to hide behind. You can prove these facts wrong all you want, but they will still use this misinformation because they cannot use the real reason they do not want you to stock walleyes: they do not want you on the lake they own property on.

I agree, I really don't think its the muskie fisherman persona that these people are against, after all, how many of these lake owners are encountering muskie fisherman on "their" lakes.

sworrall
Posted 4/7/2016 1:07 PM (#813080 - in reply to #813073)

jvlast15 - 4/7/2016 12:55 PM

I don't see this so much as a musky fisherman are terrible people argument. I do see this as a lake usage battle. Gull lake is already fairly popular. Once you throw muskies into the lake the boat traffic increases at a very large rate. The folk lore surrounding muskie fishing...big teeth, eat all the walleyes and every other fish, cant swim in the water, etc...gives the people who against musky stocking a shield to hide behind. You can prove these facts wrong all you want, but they will still use this misinformation because they cannot use the real reason they do not want you to stock walleyes: they do not want you on the lake they own property on.

You are not paying attention to the overall message being forwarded by the anti-Muskie crowd. Someone other than sled...what is the message to the uneducated public from the anti crowd about muskies and muskie anglers? THAT is being perpetuated and confirmed..over and over...by none other than us. Lots of words could have been quoted in the linked article on our behalf, but what exactly was quoted?
VonBraun
Posted 4/7/2016 1:13 PM (#813081 - in reply to #812984)

Aaron Meyer, co-chairman of the Minnesota Muskie and Pike Alliance, said the bills are fueled by fear-mongering by lakeshore property owners who say muskies will decimate walleyes and panfish.

"One thing they are good at is selling garbage," Meyer said of anti-muskie forces. "They don't own these lakes."

Does that sound like a good way for Musky anglers to win votes?
MartinTD
Posted 4/7/2016 1:15 PM (#813083 - in reply to #812984)

"One thing they are good at is selling garbage," Meyer said of anti-muskie forces. "They don't own these lakes."

Obviously these statements don't help a thing other than show an attitude which in turn is attributed to the muskie group at large. Isn't that the media for you though? I would imagine he said a lot more than that but that is what they decided to quote.

Edited by MartinTD 4/7/2016 1:17 PM
jonnysled
Posted 4/7/2016 1:15 PM (#813084 - in reply to #813081)

that group should punt and get off the field. i can't believe anyone would give them a nickel ...
jvlast15
Posted 4/7/2016 1:28 PM (#813087 - in reply to #813084)

Is that not how you win in politics these days? I am not going to turn this into a presidential race debate, but who is doing the best in the polls these days? The idiots that talk the loudest and make the biggest fuss. The qualified candidates that wait for their turn to talk get steam rolled or ignored. The ones that scream and yell and make fun do well. Its really sad that it is that way, but unfortunately, that's how it is. Is this really that different?
sworrall
Posted 4/7/2016 1:43 PM (#813094 - in reply to #812984)

Yes, it is.
Dirt Esox
Posted 4/7/2016 1:52 PM (#813097 - in reply to #812984)

I think it's funny that most of the commentary in this particular thread about Minnesota is from Wisconsin. The substance, however, is not funny.

I also agree that the attitude and behavior(the "bad azz" metal crowd as it were)of enough of the musky fishing public to be dangerous does not help the perception of the sport as a whole.

Edited by Dirt Esox 4/7/2016 2:01 PM
MartinTD
Posted 4/7/2016 1:58 PM (#813099 - in reply to #813097)

Dirt Esox - 4/7/2016 1:52 PM

I think it's funny that most of the commentary in this particular thread about Minnesota is from Wisconsin. The substance, however, is not funny.
QUOTE]

I think it's funny that Minnesotans criticized the WI-DNR for continuing to hold spring C.C. meetings. Allowing the public to provide input instead of the DNR managing as they see fit such as in Minnesota. Not saying either way is right or wrong but...

What the heck happened over there?
jonnysled
Posted 4/7/2016 1:58 PM (#813100 - in reply to #813097)

i grew up in MN, have fished Mille Lacs regularly over my lifetime, still have ties there and spend a week a month or more there (engaged to a mud hen) and pay money into the tax base being managed in this DNR situation ... but, I did laugh when the field goal went wide left so i do resemble your comment.
MTJ
Posted 4/7/2016 1:58 PM (#813101 - in reply to #813094)

I've already got cash in my back pocket to contribute to the MMPA at the show, I'm proud of the work Aaron has done for both our local MI chapter and on the state level and anyone who has ever fished muskies in Minnesota owes Underhill a debt that is impossible to ever fully repay.

There are a lot of jerks in our sport. Selfishness and envy bring out the worst in us on the water and we created some (but not all) of our own problems but we're up against an equally selfish force in the antis. We were fools to think that opening up all the lakes in the state to spearing would satisfy them.
jaultman
Posted 4/7/2016 2:04 PM (#813102 - in reply to #812984)

Quick question - do Wisconsin's non-musky fishermen share the distaste for muskies that is so common in Minnesotans?
jonnysled
Posted 4/7/2016 2:16 PM (#813103 - in reply to #813102)

no but Wisconsin fish are small, remember?

and, from a general perspective Muskies are revered here like Walleyes are in MN., it's paid the tourist money for a lot of years. you too could catch one as big as Louis did!!
rpike
Posted 4/7/2016 2:31 PM (#813108 - in reply to #813073)

jvlast15 - 4/7/2016 1:55 PM

I don't see this so much as a musky fisherman are terrible people argument. I do see this as a lake usage battle. Gull lake is already fairly popular. Once you throw muskies into the lake the boat traffic increases at a very large rate. The folk lore surrounding muskie fishing...big teeth, eat all the walleyes and every other fish, cant swim in the water, etc...gives the people who are against musky stocking a shield to hide behind. You can prove these facts wrong all you want, but they will still use this misinformation because they cannot use the real reason they do not want you to stock muskie: they do not want you on the lake they own property on.

I agree. I think people are down on muskie fishermen because they see more of us "all of a sudden" after a lake is stocked, and it's clear we are muskie fishermen because of the big lures, nets, etc. We travel to the new likes precisely because there are not as many muskie lakes. We are concentrated on the few lakes that hold muskies, and we stand out more because of the tackle we use.

So from that perspective, yes, stocking muskies in a lake will definitely increase the visible traffic on that lake - more so than stocking a new walleye lake would. There are thousands of walleye lakes in MN, the pressure is spread out much more.

The lake owners see more pressure on "their" lakes, and they don't like it. They know muskie anglers travel more, so they may be concerned about zebra mussels and milfoil appearing in "their" lakes. If ten more boats showed up at a landing to fish for bass or walleyes, they would not stand out from the crowd, even though the added pressure and chance of introducing aquatic invasives is no different.

None of the above means I agree with the no-stocking arguments. Of course, all the lakes in MN are everybody's lakes. I think there is an argument to be made that adding new muskie lakes would *reduce* the muskie fishing pressure on some of the existing lakes like Pelican because it would spread us out more.
sworrall
Posted 4/7/2016 3:11 PM (#813118 - in reply to #813101)

MTJ - 4/7/2016 1:58 PM

I've already got cash in my back pocket to contribute to the MMPA at the show, I'm proud of the work Aaron has done for both our local MI chapter and on the state level and anyone who has ever fished muskies in Minnesota owes Underhill a debt that is impossible to ever fully repay.

There are a lot of jerks in our sport. Selfishness and envy bring out the worst in us on the water and we created some (but not all) of our own problems but we're up against an equally selfish force in the antis. We were fools to think that opening up all the lakes in the state to spearing would satisfy them.

That's (first paragraph) a fact.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 4/7/2016 3:23 PM (#813119 - in reply to #812984)
Subject: RE: The dismantling of the MN muskie program?

Yup, muskie fishermen stand out the most!

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(02.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 02.jpg (83KB - 297 downloads)
jonnysled
Posted 4/7/2016 3:47 PM (#813126 - in reply to #812984)

If that picture is from one of the six you can rule out the not on my lake argument ...
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)