Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Knots

Message Subject: Knots
muddymusky
Posted 6/24/2016 9:37 PM (#821742 - in reply to #811802)
Subject: RE: Knots

Palomar
Muskiemetal
Posted 6/25/2016 8:25 AM (#821757 - in reply to #811802)
Subject: Re: Knots

30 years using a Trilene knot, never has failed once.
debygd
Posted 7/2/2016 11:29 PM (#822583 - in reply to #811802)
Subject: RE: Knots

Palomar for me too.  North American Fishing Club did a knot study a few years back.  The Palomar wasn't the strongest knot, but in testing, the knot strength exceeds line strength and didn't require a PhD to tie it.

Edited by debygd 7/2/2016 11:42 PM
esoxcpr
Posted 7/4/2016 4:30 PM (#822692 - in reply to #811802)

There is no perfect knot, each one had benefits and drawbacks. For example, the Palomar is one of the easiest to tie, but it's break point is only 91% of the line strength. The Trilene is also one of the most common and easiest to tie but will slip if used on superbraids and the break point is only 87% of the line strength. Both the Uni knot and the San Diego Jam have a high break strength of 94% of the line strength but both are more difficult to tie. Most good anglers know several different knots and use the best for whatever situation they find themselves in. Also keep in mind testing break strength of a knot and shock break strength as frequently encountered in real life fishing situations can be very different.

I personally use the Double Uni knot for tying larger test superbraids to leaders for musky fishing, the Double Trilene knot for monofilament applications and the Palomar when using smaller diameter superbraids for walleyes or bass. When tying my 80 pound superbraid to the 17 pound mono backing on my musky reels I use a double uni to double uni knot as I believe it has the best break strength when tying similar diameter lines together (80 lb suoerbraid has the same diameter as 17 lb mono which is why I use it for backing). Bottom line is there really is no right or wrong answer you just need to use what you are comfortable with and meets your criteria (ease of tying, break strength, etc)
PIKEMASTER
Posted 7/4/2016 8:26 PM (#822710 - in reply to #811802)

Fishing Fool knot
Shellback
Posted 7/5/2016 10:55 AM (#822742 - in reply to #811802)

I always tell folks that the best knot is the one you can tie in the dark in 40 seconds. For beach tarpon the connection I use is called an improved bristol, and unfortunately every tutorial I've seen on this knot is dead wrong. I typically use 30/40lb spectra + 60lb flourocarbon. I know you guys use heavier stuff, and occasionally so do I. I'll use a section of 40lb mono to connect my braid, the use a blood knot to connect heavier flouro to that section of 40. As for the bristol itself, it starts with a surgeon's loop. Every tutorial I've seen says I should be using a bimini to double the line, which is kinda silly. The bimini is a good knot for providing a little extra stretch protecting lighter class leaders, but when you tie one in a material like spectra which has no stretch, it's just a big bulky mess that does absolutely nothing. The bristol itself is a very simple knot with a very small profile. I build the majority of my rods with #6 running guides, and I can bring the knot inside the tip without worrying about it hanging up. To tie it, take the tag end of your mono/flouro and pass it through your surgeon's loop. While keeping your loop pinched open make 5 passes down around the loop, then 4 passes up, then pass your tag end back through the loop the opposite side that you went in. Don't pull the tag end. When you're ready to cinch it down, pull from behind the double line. It'll lock if you did it right, it'll pull right out if you didn't. I fish at night for fish that are 90lbs or better on custom wood plugs that aren't easy to replace. I also have 3 counties that have depended on my knots for almost 8 years. This one is proven. If I can find someone to help me do a video I'll post it up.
Chemi
Posted 7/5/2016 7:01 PM (#822782 - in reply to #822742)

Shellback - 7/5/2016 11:55 AM I always tell folks that the best knot is the one you can tie in the dark in 40 seconds. For beach tarpon the connection I use is called an improved bristol, and unfortunately every tutorial I've seen on this knot is dead wrong. I typically use 30/40lb spectra + 60lb flourocarbon. I know you guys use heavier stuff, and occasionally so do I. I'll use a section of 40lb mono to connect my braid, the use a blood knot to connect heavier flouro to that section of 40. As for the bristol itself, it starts with a surgeon's loop. Every tutorial I've seen says I should be using a bimini to double the line, which is kinda silly. The bimini is a good knot for providing a little extra stretch protecting lighter class leaders, but when you tie one in a material like spectra which has no stretch, it's just a big bulky mess that does absolutely nothing. The bristol itself is a very simple knot with a very small profile. I build the majority of my rods with #6 running guides, and I can bring the knot inside the tip without worrying about it hanging up. To tie it, take the tag end of your mono/flouro and pass it through your surgeon's loop. While keeping your loop pinched open make 5 passes down around the loop, then 4 passes up, then pass your tag end back through the loop the opposite side that you went in. Don't pull the tag end. When you're ready to cinch it down, pull from behind the double line. It'll lock if you did it right, it'll pull right out if you didn't. I fish at night for fish that are 90lbs or better on custom wood plugs that aren't easy to replace. I also have 3 counties that have depended on my knots for almost 8 years. This one is proven. If I can find someone to help me do a video I'll post it up.

I believe that's what's called the "improved Bristol knot". Here's a vid:

https://youtu.be/70wSxW5IMxE 

Shellback
Posted 7/5/2016 7:56 PM (#822789 - in reply to #822782)

Chemi - 7/5/2016 7:01 PM

Shellback - 7/5/2016 11:55 AM I always tell folks that the best knot is the one you can tie in the dark in 40 seconds. For beach tarpon the connection I use is called an improved bristol, and unfortunately every tutorial I've seen on this knot is dead wrong. I typically use 30/40lb spectra + 60lb flourocarbon. I know you guys use heavier stuff, and occasionally so do I. I'll use a section of 40lb mono to connect my braid, the use a blood knot to connect heavier flouro to that section of 40. As for the bristol itself, it starts with a surgeon's loop. Every tutorial I've seen says I should be using a bimini to double the line, which is kinda silly. The bimini is a good knot for providing a little extra stretch protecting lighter class leaders, but when you tie one in a material like spectra which has no stretch, it's just a big bulky mess that does absolutely nothing. The bristol itself is a very simple knot with a very small profile. I build the majority of my rods with #6 running guides, and I can bring the knot inside the tip without worrying about it hanging up. To tie it, take the tag end of your mono/flouro and pass it through your surgeon's loop. While keeping your loop pinched open make 5 passes down around the loop, then 4 passes up, then pass your tag end back through the loop the opposite side that you went in. Don't pull the tag end. When you're ready to cinch it down, pull from behind the double line. It'll lock if you did it right, it'll pull right out if you didn't. I fish at night for fish that are 90lbs or better on custom wood plugs that aren't easy to replace. I also have 3 counties that have depended on my knots for almost 8 years. This one is proven. If I can find someone to help me do a video I'll post it up.

I believe that's what's called the "improved Bristol knot". Here's a vid:

https://youtu.be/70wSxW5IMxE 

It is. That's why I called it an improved bristol at the beginning of the post, lol! That's actually the best video I've seen, once you get some practice it's quick too. Thanks for posting that up. It also helps if you cinch it down in one fluid motion, without pulling the tag end.
mnpat
Posted 7/5/2016 8:46 PM (#822793 - in reply to #811802)

I use an Fg knot tied line to line and put the swivel next to the lure. It's over twice as strong as tying a Palomar to a swivel. for night fishing it's great as it allows you to wind the knot into the guides and not worry about damaging your rod with the swivel. As soon as you feel the knot start your figure 8. The knot is very small in diameter as no wraps are required by the flouro leader. I use 50 lb braid in saltwater and have no problems applying over 20lbs of drag.
Good luck
vegas492
Posted 7/6/2016 9:19 AM (#822820 - in reply to #811802)

Palomar. Did a little test once to see how strong the knot would be. Nothing was better or even close to Palomar.

Now if I'm tying line to line or flouro to braid? Blood knot, which I think is also a surgeon's knot.
MikeDircz
Posted 7/6/2016 2:10 PM (#822844 - in reply to #821584)

Palomar, hands down. Super tough, no slippage and no breakage. I watched Dan Altman burn the tail with a lighter for an even safer version.
tkuntz
Posted 7/7/2016 11:30 AM (#822931 - in reply to #811802)

How many of you guys burn the tag end to make a "ball" in lieu of fraying line? I do on every knot I tie with braid. I've never had a knot slip down to the melted ball, but I still do it out of paranoia.
Mark Hoerich
Posted 7/7/2016 11:57 AM (#822937 - in reply to #822931)

The Joe Bucher Power Knot.
IAJustin
Posted 7/7/2016 4:48 PM (#822967 - in reply to #822931)

tkuntz - 7/7/2016 11:30 AM

How many of you guys burn the tag end to make a "ball" in lieu of fraying line? I do on every knot I tie with braid. I've never had a knot slip down to the melted ball, but I still do it out of paranoia.

Never, just sharp scissors.. lots of big muskies and 100Lb + fish that pull 10x what any muskie would.
djwilliams
Posted 7/10/2016 1:21 PM (#823163 - in reply to #811802)

I use an improved clinch knot and I take the line through the eye of the hook 2x before counting 5 loops on the knot.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)