Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> All the info on the Ban on Muskie stocking, what we need to do.

Message Subject: All the info on the Ban on Muskie stocking, what we need to do.
BLIZZAK
Posted 3/20/2016 6:28 PM (#810623 - in reply to #810617)
Subject: Re: All the info on the Ban on Muskie stocking, what we need to do.

Watch "Steel Dragon - Stand Up And Shout!" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/Jaz-KmTid3U

This is what we need to do !!!
blkdrs
Posted 3/20/2016 6:32 PM (#810625 - in reply to #810161)

It looks as though a Companion Bill has been added SF 3059:

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bills/bill.php?b=senate&f=SF3059&ssn=0&y=...
Muskiefool
Posted 3/20/2016 6:37 PM (#810626 - in reply to #810161)
Subject: RE: All the info on the Ban on Muskie stocking, what we need to do.

No hearing scheduled in the Senate, we'll see if it gets one. I think it will depend on the House hearing on Tuesday and what comes out of that.
NathanH
Posted 3/20/2016 7:33 PM (#810637 - in reply to #810626)

I feel bad for the people in the area because this could result in major tourism dollars in the next decades if it goes well.
BNelson
Posted 3/21/2016 9:10 AM (#810715 - in reply to #810161)

curious what if anything muskies inc is doing on this? we pay $35 per person per year seems to me this is a good cause for some of our dues to be put to use
Sorgy
Posted 3/21/2016 9:27 AM (#810717 - in reply to #810715)

Bnelson,
The MN chapters have been sharing this information with their chapter members. Everyone is encouraged to e-mail or call to give some input on this issue. The president of M.I. has written a letter that will be read in the committee hearing.
M.I. along with the MMPA are in contact with the legislators and will be heard.
Everyone is still encouraged to make calls or e-mails if you have not already done so.

Steve
BNelson
Posted 3/21/2016 10:35 AM (#810726 - in reply to #810161)

right, each individual chapter in MN, I get that... but what about the national org? They have a Facebook page with 4500 followers and have said nothing on their page about this. I have emailed all my musky buds to write emails and have done so myself and I live in WI and feel like I alone have done more than Muskies Inc nationally based on what I have seen ....
Muskie Treats
Posted 3/21/2016 10:47 AM (#810728 - in reply to #810726)

The big thing when you're writing to a legislator in regards to a bill that is about to be heard is to in the first sentence or header state your opinion. It's usually the aids that look at the emails and they do a quick for or against with these emails to give the legislator a heads up as to where public support is. Absolutely speak of your personal experiences, but lead with your position.

Shawn Kellett
Muskie Treats
Posted 3/21/2016 10:49 AM (#810729 - in reply to #810161)

Bnelson, Carol Phillips has been in contact with his legislator (and others) as well as has sent a statement regarding the International's position.
BNelson
Posted 3/21/2016 10:54 AM (#810730 - in reply to #810729)

thanks Treats.... good to know ... just seems like the Anti's have organized a lot more than those of us who support the new waters being stocked....
Muskie Treats
Posted 3/21/2016 11:18 AM (#810734 - in reply to #810161)

I wouldn't necessarily say that. We've had more ink on our side then theirs. We've got dozens of people working behind the scenes at the moment. We have a presence at the capital (granted they have an actual legislator). We just haven't been crying a river.

It is scary that it has actually gotten this far, but it speaks to the work that everyone's been doing. These people's ONLY chance now is through through the Capital as they've been blocked on any other front they've brought this fight.
Llunge Hunter
Posted 3/21/2016 11:18 AM (#810735 - in reply to #810161)

Dear Respected Legislators:

I am writing to you today to express my opposition to the proposed bill HF3207, which would prevent the DNR from expanding Muskellunge into new waters of MN. There a few key details that I would like to point out that my opposition rests on:

I understand that a fair amount of controversy exists about muskies in the state today surrounding specific lakes the DNR would like to stock. Whether or not those lakes are the right fit for muskies should be left up to the DNR. I do feel the DNR should consider both biology and public interest. In my opinion, it is not your job to micromanage the DNR. Please let them do their jobs.

This law is far too broad. To limit the expansion of muskies into ANY new lake is ridiculous. Muskie fishing is a growing sport and brings a good amount of money to local economies near good Muskie waters. Whether or not the specific proposed lakes today are the right fit for muskies doesn’t mean that those lakes, or any other lake, might be a perfect fit tomorrow, next year, or 10 years from now. To completely eliminate the potential for expansion of musky waters is unfair for the growing number of Minnesotans that enjoy Muskies and benefit economically from them.

Muskie fishing is a fantastic part of living in Minnesota and one that I personally love to do with my family and friends. I hope to be able to continue to do so in the future and pass the heritage of the sport to the next generation. If you aren’t familiar with the excitement of Muskie fishing and would like to know firsthand, you’re welcome in my boat anytime. Please consider my thoughts on this bill.

Sincerely,

Casey Boutain
Starbuck, MN

Muskie Treats
Posted 3/21/2016 11:23 AM (#810737 - in reply to #810161)

^ Perfect!
MJH
Posted 3/21/2016 12:07 PM (#810752 - in reply to #810161)

Hearing to be held tomorrow (Tuesday, March 22) on HF3207. If you can make it to oppose the bill please do so.
http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/bills/billnum.asp?Billnumber=HF320...
Will Schultz
Posted 3/21/2016 1:16 PM (#810759 - in reply to #810161)

Representatives,

I am writing to express concern over HF 3207 and to ask that you please not support this bill. HF 3207 would potentially stop future stocking of muskellunge in some Minnesota waters is not how fisheries management should be conducted in MN or any other state. As an avid fisherman, of all species, I find it disappointing that a small but vocal group has convinced legislators that fisheries should be managed based on feelings and not science. The concerns of these groups are unfounded and their position is based on feelings and not sound scientific resource management. The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources hires biologists with the experience to make correct fisheries management decisions, the legislature is not the place to make these decisions. The legislature should be supporting the rights of sportsmen per the MN Constitution: Sec. 12. Preservation of hunting and fishing. Hunting and fishing and the taking of game and fish are a valued part of our heritage that shall be forever preserved for the people and shall be managed by law and regulation for the public good. [Adopted, November 3, 1998]

HF 3207 is not management for the public good.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely, Will Schultz

Edited by Will Schultz 3/21/2016 1:19 PM
Propster
Posted 3/22/2016 11:06 AM (#810849 - in reply to #810161)

Word is that the bill will be amended right off the bat in committee today. Stay tuned...
Lundbob
Posted 3/22/2016 2:33 PM (#810872 - in reply to #810161)

I did get 1 response from the reps i emailed. "I am on your side"
Propster
Posted 3/22/2016 3:19 PM (#810882 - in reply to #810161)

They are working on a compromise, but may get defeated outright. Lots of feedback against
mnmusky
Posted 3/22/2016 3:22 PM (#810883 - in reply to #810882)

What's to compromise? Should have been trashed hours ago.
Propster
Posted 3/22/2016 3:51 PM (#810885 - in reply to #810161)

You really don't understand how the game is played do you. Even though I agree with you.
Pointerpride102
Posted 3/22/2016 4:38 PM (#810890 - in reply to #810161)

The bill made it through the committee to the general register for a full house vote. For a little bit I had hope that it was going to get killed in the committee because it got hammered in testimony. Everyone here should send a big thank you to Rep. Metsa for his comments and questions. He was spot on with all of his questions and his verbal thrashing of this bill.

I don't know what more there is to do beyond continued emailing and contacting the representatives. It may be worth mentioning that not all musky anglers are members of muskies inc. One of the main people tied to this bill tried to claim that because there are only 7500 muskies inc members nation wide that the sport isn't growing as claimed by the DNR. A completely false misrepresentation of the data.
Baldyhook
Posted 3/22/2016 4:42 PM (#810891 - in reply to #810161)

Well that sucks! I was hoping it would never make it our of committee. Any thoughts on the chance it gets passed and if so the chance that Governor Dayton would sign it. Might not be a bad idea to stay in contact with his office as well if it makes it that far.
Pointerpride102
Posted 3/22/2016 5:59 PM (#810896 - in reply to #810161)

I have no clue on what the bill's chances are from this point forward.
Baldyhook
Posted 3/22/2016 6:14 PM (#810899 - in reply to #810161)

Here is a link about today's committee hearing and Youtube video on the page. Take a look and listen:
http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/sessiondaily/SDView.aspx?StoryID=1...
castmaster
Posted 3/22/2016 6:36 PM (#810905 - in reply to #810161)

Pointer,
Do you know what the sales numbers are on the Walleye stamp?
Baldyhook
Posted 3/22/2016 7:02 PM (#810906 - in reply to #810905)

Found these figures from 2012. Walleye stamp validation: 27,477. Couldn't find anything more recent.

Edited by Baldyhook 3/22/2016 7:10 PM
Baldyhook
Posted 3/22/2016 7:09 PM (#810908 - in reply to #810161)

For 2013 it was 21,064 and for 2014 it was 19,467.
Nershi
Posted 3/22/2016 7:16 PM (#810909 - in reply to #810899)

Baldyhook - 3/22/2016 6:14 PM

Here is a link about today's committee hearing and Youtube video on the page. Take a look and listen:
http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/sessiondaily/SDView.aspx?StoryID=1...

Thanks for posting. The supporters of this bill didn't have very good facts to support their position.

For those in the know, please keep us up to date with the status of this and let us know who we can contact to show our support for the MN muskie program.

Edited by Nershi 3/22/2016 7:16 PM
Propster
Posted 3/22/2016 7:54 PM (#810914 - in reply to #810161)

Here is a first hand report from Travis who there today to testify against the bill. I didn't even realize you could sign up to do such a thing. Good to know. Also, it would seem we should really be writing our own emails.

"Today was a sad day in my opinion. For the first time in my life I went to bat at our state capital in response to something i believe in. Then I saw how our government really works and realized how much of a joke it is. That bill had zero chance to be killed today because chairman Hackbarth was pushing it through before the hearing even began. He didn't listen to anything anybody said, even though every human in that room could tell it was a bad bill. The committee tried to kill it because there was zero facts or reasoning behind the bill despite certain lakeshore owners that didn't want muskies. The only hope is that tomorrow it doesn't pass through the next level. From what I learned today the only person that really matters will be the chairman tomorrow. Apparently the chairman tomorrow is on our side. I guess we will see. The biggest thing that stood out to me today was the lack of support from anglers. When I signed up to speak today I was the only person opposed to the bill to testify. There were 12 lakeshore owners there to testify for the bill. Muskies inc did also sign in to testify but that was it. Also, there were comments from the committee about all of the copied and pasted emails from Muskie anglers. I guess if we are going to be contacting our representatives, it might be wise for people to actually speak their minds instead of copying someone else's emails. Hopefully tomorrow is a brighter day."
Pointerpride102
Posted 3/22/2016 8:00 PM (#810916 - in reply to #810905)

castmaster - 3/22/2016 6:36 PM

Pointer,
Do you know what the sales numbers are on the Walleye stamp?

I don't. Sorry.
Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)