Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Good Sucker Rod/Reel combos

Message Subject: Good Sucker Rod/Reel combos
MartyTheMusky
Posted 10/8/2015 2:01 PM (#787788)
Subject: Good Sucker Rod/Reel combos

Musky Nation -
Looking to purchase my first Musky rod/reel combo and would like some advice. Read some good things about the Okuma Convector reel and an 8' heavy rod has been the norm in the articles I have seen.

What do you use and why should I?

Thanks for your time.

BNelson
Posted 10/8/2015 2:10 PM (#787790 - in reply to #787788)
Subject: Re: Good Sucker Rod/Reel combos

convector 20s are a good reel...any 8 to 9 foot XH rod will work... I'd also recommend 130 or 150 lb line...
Cloud7
Posted 10/8/2015 2:29 PM (#787793 - in reply to #787788)

St. Croix Premier PGM80HM Rod, its got a fiberglass blend in the blank for those cold days.
Shimano Tekota 500LC, doesn't cast the best, but reels good, and allows the combo to double as a trolling set up.

C7
MartyTheMusky
Posted 10/8/2015 4:21 PM (#787812 - in reply to #787788)

Thanks BNelson and Cloud 7...heard that the graphite rods can be dangerous (due to possibility of shattering) on the colder days. I would assume that's why the fiberglass blend was recommended by Cloud7. How critical is it to have a non-fiberglass rod and at what temps does it become likely for a graphite rod to shatter?
ToddM
Posted 10/8/2015 5:32 PM (#787820 - in reply to #787788)

I had a guy break two graphite rods on me in one day. The okuma convector, diawa sealine in the 20 and 27 size will be just fine. Your not letting out a lot of line, you don't need capacity. Get a cheap heavy duty fiberglass catfish rod. You don't need to spend 100+ on a sucker rod unless you think it makes you cool, part of the in crowd or need the sticker for your truck.
BNelson
Posted 10/8/2015 6:20 PM (#787827 - in reply to #787820)

I've used catfish rods and for the money there is nothing better than the 9 foot Musky Innovations trolling/live bait rods... I am not sure if they are still being made but if so... they are better than any catfish rod I used in the past and I used lots of them... the MI rods are a blend....love the length and have the backbone to put the screws to 50+ inch fish....
Mark Hoerich
Posted 10/8/2015 7:17 PM (#787831 - in reply to #787820)

ToddM - 10/8/2015 5:32 PM

I had a guy break two graphite rods on me in one day. The okuma convector, diawa sealine in the 20 and 27 size will be just fine. Your not letting out a lot of line, you don't need capacity. Get a cheap heavy duty fiberglass catfish rod. You don't need to spend 100+ on a sucker rod unless you think it makes you cool, part of the in crowd or need the sticker for your truck.

What's the best sticker for a Ford F-150 pickup?
bowhunter29
Posted 10/8/2015 9:05 PM (#787849 - in reply to #787788)

I'm making this post because it seems that there are some big misconceptions on what causes rods to break. Please don't read this as me coming across as a know-it-all, that's certainly not the case! I just want to take the opportunity to shed some light on a greatly misunderstood aspect of our sport.

Graphite rods break during sucker fishing due to the shock of the hookset. It has nothing to do with temps, that's an old wives tale. You won't fish in temps cold enough to make graphite brittle which takes a temp of about -350F. If you sucker fish in the summer with graphite rods, they will break just like they do in the fall.

A graphite/glass blend would be the best combo of power and durability.

Those of you that like to do some vertical jigging may want to look into a blend rod if you are a home run hitter on the hookset. I can't believe Bondy doesn't break a bunch of rods, that guy's a beast!

jeremy
Musky 77
Posted 10/10/2015 8:10 AM (#788001 - in reply to #787788)

Black River Live/Troll rods work great!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)