Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Easy big fella. Don't buy her a drink. There's a hook in there somewhere."
- (Added by: Beaver)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> intro/question

Message Subject: intro/question
KENNYW
Posted 7/8/2015 8:54 PM (#775467)
Subject: intro/question

Hello all! My name is Ken and I'm from central Pa. I've been lurking around here for a couple years watching and learning from you guys. Seeing the custom work you guys produce is nothing short of amazing. I'm a tech ed teacher, so I know my way around the shop really well, and I'm learning the air brushing/epoxy game day by day.

I've been working on producing some 4 and 5 inch trolling shads. My first batch came out great, but did not run great. I did not add weight, and I'm thinking my lip design needs tweeked. I know the answer to my question will have lots of "depends on", but speaking of weight, how much is generally added, and where would you recommend putting it in a small shad bait? I travel to chautauqua a few times a year, and like trolling 15-25 down over 35 foot of water. Thanks in advance guys. I'll post some pics soon.
FISHFINDER101
Posted 7/9/2015 12:31 AM (#775494 - in reply to #775467)
Subject: Re: intro/question

I haven't dabbled much in the wood working with baits much, but if it were me and I wanted to get a start I would probably cut open a couple of the baits out there close to what I was making and take a look inside. I also read one time that it may help to put the blank in the water before cutting to see what side floats up and that more than likely could be the top of the lure. Make a few lures and slowly add weight as needed to get the desired depth. That's my two cents

Edited by FISHFINDER101 7/9/2015 12:36 AM
Landonfish
Posted 7/9/2015 5:33 AM (#775499 - in reply to #775467)

Take the baits u have already made. Do they sit upright in water? If so good. for weighting take the hooks off and lay them on the edge of the table and find the balance point. You can try adding some weight there. The general rule of thumb is if you add weight in front of that line the less wobble your bait will have. Weight behind the line is more wobble. And if you draw a line from your line tie to your tail hook keep the weight below that.
KENNYW
Posted 7/9/2015 6:04 PM (#775628 - in reply to #775467)

Great tips guys, thank you.
musky513
Posted 7/10/2015 1:15 PM (#775735 - in reply to #775467)

I usually add weight between the back of the lip and the first hook hanger. Sometimes it's also needed right behind the belly hook hanger. The amount will vary with the wood/material you use. Cedar takes quite a bit in general as it is very buoyant. Most of the baits I make are cedar flat side crankbaits btw.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)