Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Largemouth Bass Population in WI Northwoods

Message Subject: Largemouth Bass Population in WI Northwoods
callworth
Posted 4/12/2015 6:39 PM (#764583)
Subject: Largemouth Bass Population in WI Northwoods

So the WI northwoods is seeing a large population increase in LMB for many lakes. Lakes where it was uncommon to get one in a full day, now its more of a nuisance when targeting panfish. I know some lakes the DNR is considering upping the bag or lowering the size. What sort of impact do you think this has on the musky population in northwoods? Are musky fry becoming bass food? Will more bass just mean more food for adult musky? What do you think caused the influx?

Thoughts?
jonnysled
Posted 4/12/2015 7:25 PM (#764588 - in reply to #764583)
Subject: Re: Largemouth Bass Population in WI Northwoods

they are taking the place of walleyes that have succumbed to harvest pressure.
dfkiii
Posted 4/12/2015 7:37 PM (#764591 - in reply to #764583)

If as many 12 inch largemouth bass were kept for the table as 12 inch walleye, this would be far less a problem. Thankfully, the new slots being put in place will help the walleye recovery.
NathanH
Posted 4/12/2015 7:45 PM (#764595 - in reply to #764588)

jonnysled - 4/12/2015 7:25 PM

they are taking the place of walleyes that have succumbed to harvest pressure.

X2 walleye fishing is dying a slow but certain death. That's why I'm making the change to Muskie a fish with a future and folks working hard to improve the fishery and expand it.
tolle141
Posted 4/12/2015 7:59 PM (#764597 - in reply to #764583)

Honestly I doubt this is going to have any sort of impact on the muskie or walleye population. Panfish make up a significant part of the bass diet, so maybe you'll see some improvement in size structure over time.

One thing I've observed is that largemouth seem to average a pound or more heavier in lakes with significant rock bass populations. Maybe that's just coincidence though.
callworth
Posted 4/12/2015 8:20 PM (#764602 - in reply to #764583)

Since the spike the population in LMB here are my observations of the lake i fish:
- rock bass has drastically been depleted
- walleye are bigger, but there are less
- musky we had our best year in catch rate since 2007. Over the last 7 years the lake averages ~60 muskies over 32 inches. Last year we had 111 caught
sworrall
Posted 4/12/2015 8:24 PM (#764604 - in reply to #764597)

tolle141 - 4/12/2015 7:59 PM

Honestly I doubt this is going to have any sort of impact on the muskie or walleye population. Panfish make up a significant part of the bass diet, so maybe you'll see some improvement in size structure over time.

One thing I've observed is that largemouth seem to average a pound or more heavier in lakes with significant rock bass populations. Maybe that's just coincidence though.

The fisheries folks are clear that the increase in LMB in the Northwoods is directly proportional with a decrease in Walleye, and the bass are hard on the 'eyes. There is some damage done on YOY muskies too. All in all unless the lake is zero NR and 100% stocked, the LMB need to be knocked back.
Tomahawk/Minocqua chain is 5 bag no size limit. I think the Chip is, too. Anyone know?
Headlock
Posted 4/12/2015 8:39 PM (#764606 - in reply to #764583)

Honest question. How are the LMB to eat. Never have tried them.
dfkiii
Posted 4/12/2015 8:50 PM (#764607 - in reply to #764606)

Headlock - 4/12/2015 8:39 PM

Honest question. How are the LMB to eat. Never have tried them.

10-12 inchers taste like fish. I never kept anything larger.

I believe the Chippewa Flowage has a limit of 5 largemouth of any size.
Weevil
Posted 4/12/2015 8:52 PM (#764608 - in reply to #764583)

LMB are surprisingly good. I kept a few last year when they were hammering my musky lures.
sworrall
Posted 4/12/2015 8:53 PM (#764609 - in reply to #764583)

We like them fried really well. Not over 15" though.
milje
Posted 4/12/2015 9:45 PM (#764612 - in reply to #764609)

sworrall - 4/12/2015 8:53 PM

We like them fried really well. Not over 15" though.

I eat em up to 18" all the time. On bigger fish I cut each fillet into 3 pieces, belly, tail and backstrap, I butterfly the backstrap so it doesn't have to cook as long.

Let me know what lakes need some bass removed and I'll gladly come help.
NathanH
Posted 4/12/2015 9:45 PM (#764613 - in reply to #764609)

I too agree with the above good eating 15 inches and under. I taken to cut down the population.
WiscoMusky
Posted 4/13/2015 12:41 AM (#764621 - in reply to #764583)

I too enjoy eating LMB, I have never had a problem with their taste. But in terms of their impact on the fishery, I would suspect that if the lake being stocked is introduced to fry and not fingerlings, then the bass would have a much higher impact
esoxaddict
Posted 4/13/2015 3:28 AM (#764626 - in reply to #764583)

It's just been the last 5-6 years from what I've seen. We're catching a LOT of them in places where you never even saw one 10 years ago. And yes, the walleye populations are suffering. I'm not sure if the LMB are filling the hole left due to over harvest of walleyes, of if the walleye populations are suffering due to to the explosion in LMB. I trust the experts that some harvest is needed, and we'll be doing that this year. I haven't eaten one in a long time, but the smaller bass in the 12" - 15" range are good. Nice texture to the fish, decent taste, but they are more "fishy" than a lot of other freshwater species. They taste like they smell...

Beaver
Posted 4/13/2015 6:15 AM (#764628 - in reply to #764583)

Personally, I like seeing the bass take over some lakes. More bass = less stunted panfish, and almost every lake in northern WI is full of stunted bluegills. They can change all of the regs that they want, but I will still release all of the bass that I catch. I hate the way that they taste. so I'm not going to keep them just because some people consider them a problem. You mean all of the geniuses that run things didn't know that when they removed the walleyes from the lakes that other fish would take over? I enjoy going "up north" and catching lots of quality smallies every day. I am a multi-species fisherman, and it's not going to break my heart if I don't catch any walleyes. I knew that they couldn't last forever after they started jamming steel into the heads of the walleyes that were trying to spawn. What will those poor natives do if they kill off all of the walleyes? It serves them right if they do. I can still go elsewhere if I want to catch walleyes. Maybe the pike up there might actually grow past 36" and we'll have a pike and bass and panfish fishery that we don't have now. A couple of years ago they sqwaked about the Smallmouths taking over. Now it's the Largemouths. Get used to it, because this is the world that we live in where the sacred walleye is hunted to oblivion to feed the poor and starving natives.

Edited by Beaver 4/13/2015 6:30 AM
btfish
Posted 4/13/2015 7:03 AM (#764632 - in reply to #764628)

Just my opinion but bass fishing is a great transition for kids to go from gills, to bass, to muskie. There is no way my son would be the muskie fisherman he is today with the release ethics he has without bass fishing when he was 7-10 years old.

Plus they are a bunch of fun to catch each season before the muskie fishing heats up. I hope we don't go crazy and wipe them out.

And oh by the way, it is not just lakes that get speared, (because we fish several that don't get speared) so?

Have a good day.
jonnysled
Posted 4/13/2015 7:05 AM (#764633 - in reply to #764628)

newsflash ... anglers are as big if not a bigger problem than natives on walleyes. sorry, but just tired of hearing the same old crap from a 2 week a year vantage point. case in point ... the restoration of walleyes on Kentuck. they disappeared in 1 year by angler harvest.

bass cleaning ... bleed them and cool the meat right away and when filleting pull out the mud line. they are in the same family as bluegills and taste great.

milje ... jump in with me this year, we could use the help and i'll show you some fantastic LMB fishing.

Edited by jonnysled 4/13/2015 7:18 AM
doubledeuce
Posted 4/13/2015 10:19 AM (#764649 - in reply to #764633)

jonnysled - 4/13/2015 7:05 AM

newsflash ... anglers are as big if not a bigger problem than natives on walleyes. sorry, but just tired of hearing the same old crap from a 2 week a year vantage point. case in point ... the restoration of walleyes on Kentuck. they disappeared in 1 year by angler harvest.

bass cleaning ... bleed them and cool the meat right away and when filleting pull out the mud line. they are in the same family as bluegills and taste great.

milje ... jump in with me this year, we could use the help and i'll show you some fantastic LMB fishing.

I know I'm not much of a threat to the fish populations.
ToddM
Posted 4/13/2015 11:32 AM (#764658 - in reply to #764583)

White people are the problem? C'mon we blame others!
Grass
Posted 4/13/2015 12:39 PM (#764666 - in reply to #764583)

I'm with Beaver on this one. If LMB are doing well in a lake I'm OK with that. Don't make them a scapegoat for a walleye fishery that is in decline.
About 10 yrs ago the DNR removed the size limit on LMB on the lake that I fish most often to try to increase harvest of LMB. But instead of keeping small bass to eat, it just increased the harvest of all bass, particularily the biggest fish in the lake. What was once a trophy LMB fishery, is now a lake that is full of small bass and the walleye fishery is unchanged.
The other thing that bothers me about this is that alot of people don't know the difference between LMB and SMB. They just hear that the bass are eating all of the walleyes and they keep every bass they catch whether it's SMB or LMB.
hunterjoe
Posted 4/13/2015 1:26 PM (#764674 - in reply to #764583)

Soak them in milk for an hour or so before cooking them. That really gets rid of any "bad" flavor that they have. Been doing this for many, many years. Even fool my grandmother who won't eat bass but loves walleye. Soak the bass in milk before cooking and tell her it's walleye. About every time, "this is some of the best walleye I've ever had."
jonnysled
Posted 4/13/2015 1:32 PM (#764675 - in reply to #764674)

^good advice ... i bet most of the "taste" is coming from the mud line that is simple to remove. it will be a stronger bond to the skin near the tail of the fillet and runs right down the middle. you can grab it and comes right out in one piece. cut out any meat along the lateral line that is darker red in color. it's an easy cut to do and all your "fishy' taste goes away completely. i'll try the milk soak too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utwHVRQ8Kpg

video is a striper, but same concept. red meat = bad ...

Edited by jonnysled 4/13/2015 1:50 PM
esoxaddict
Posted 4/13/2015 2:06 PM (#764680 - in reply to #764583)

This is a must-do for many species of saltwater fish as well. A lot of the fish that people won't eat is actually pretty tasty if you follow the method Sled posted above. May try the milk thing myself...
milje
Posted 4/13/2015 6:25 PM (#764724 - in reply to #764633)

jonnysled - 4/13/2015 7:05 AM

Let me know when. My parents are moving their house (literally moving the whole thing across town), so my old man will be busy all summer so besides taking the neighbor kid out in my row troller it'll be just me almost all year.
dfkiii
Posted 4/13/2015 7:26 PM (#764730 - in reply to #764583)

I'm going to try sled's fillet technique and hunterjoe's "fool grandma" milk trick too. I catch a ton of the 12"ers off the dock. I used to throw them back, now I'll just throw them into the hot oil.
Pointerpride102
Posted 4/13/2015 7:59 PM (#764734 - in reply to #764666)

Grass - 4/13/2015 12:39 PM

I'm with Beaver on this one. If LMB are doing well in a lake I'm OK with that. Don't make them a scapegoat for a walleye fishery that is in decline.
About 10 yrs ago the DNR removed the size limit on LMB on the lake that I fish most often to try to increase harvest of LMB. But instead of keeping small bass to eat, it just increased the harvest of all bass, particularily the biggest fish in the lake. What was once a trophy LMB fishery, is now a lake that is full of small bass and the walleye fishery is unchanged.
The other thing that bothers me about this is that alot of people don't know the difference between LMB and SMB. They just hear that the bass are eating all of the walleyes and they keep every bass they catch whether it's SMB or LMB.

You can't see why the walleye fishery remains unchanged?
tolle141
Posted 4/13/2015 9:23 PM (#764755 - in reply to #764604)

sworrall - 4/12/2015 8:24 PM

tolle141 - 4/12/2015 7:59 PM

The fisheries folks are clear that the increase in LMB in the Northwoods is directly proportional with a decrease in Walleye, and the bass are hard on the 'eyes. There is some damage done on YOY muskies too. All in all unless the lake is zero NR and 100% stocked, the LMB need to be knocked back.
Tomahawk/Minocqua chain is 5 bag no size limit. I think the Chip is, too. Anyone know?

Interesting, that's the first time I've heard of that. Are these lakes that have historically had largemouth? Seems weird that they'd suddenly have a population.

Personally I think they taste fine. Mix em in with the walleyes, crappies, and northerns and you'll have a hard time picking them out.
sworrall
Posted 4/14/2015 12:16 AM (#764775 - in reply to #764755)

These waters have always had some LMB. Now they are literally teeming with them.

Another trick is soaking the fillets in lemon lime soda for a half hour.
Mark Hoerich
Posted 4/14/2015 8:38 AM (#764793 - in reply to #764674)

hunterjoe - 4/13/2015 1:26 PM

Soak them in milk for an hour or so before cooking them. That really gets rid of any "bad" flavor that they have. Been doing this for many, many years. Even fool my grandmother who won't eat bass but loves walleye. Soak the bass in milk before cooking and tell her it's walleye. About every time, "this is some of the best walleye I've ever had."

Same goes for diver ducks by the way...soak the breasts in milk overnight.
Except Cans, they are fine without it.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)