Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... >
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Wisconsin Trolling proposal

Message Subject: Wisconsin Trolling proposal
ESOX Maniac
Posted 2/16/2015 9:53 AM (#754002 - in reply to #753999)
Subject: RE: Wisconsin Trolling proposal

CEK- That's never going to happen........to many tourist dollars involved, much like snowmobiles running a trail all day/night behind or in front of your house!

Have Fun!
Al
CEK
Posted 2/16/2015 10:24 AM (#754007 - in reply to #754002)

I understand it won't happen, but that shouldn't stop those who care for our waters from trying to stop it!
dirtybird
Posted 2/16/2015 10:30 AM (#754009 - in reply to #754002)

I'm not an avid troller by any mean and when i look around at surrounding states that allow trolling it has not seemed to hurt their fishing. In fact they seem to have much better fishing than we do. I primarily fish a lake in Wisconsin that allows trolling and I can count on one hand how many guys I see out there a year trolling for muskie. If it passes it unlikely people are going to flock to northern Wisconsin to go troll out all the fish in the lakes. Go 50"+ like Minnesota and we shouldn't have to worry about too many fish being kept period.
kjgmh
Posted 2/16/2015 10:55 AM (#754017 - in reply to #753527)
Subject: Re: Wisconsin Trolling proposal

I predict WI will legalize pot before they legalize 3 line trolling. After all the potheads are too lazy to cast the push for 3 line trolling statewide will finally get enough support to get it done.
CiscoKid
Posted 2/16/2015 11:48 AM (#754031 - in reply to #754009)

dirtybird - 2/16/2015 10:30 AM

I primarily fish a lake in Wisconsin that allows trolling and I can count on one hand how many guys I see out there a year trolling for muskie. If it passes it unlikely people are going to flock to northern Wisconsin to go troll out all the fish in the lakes. Go 50"+ like Minnesota and we shouldn't have to worry about too many fish being kept period.

I don't get this by the pro-troller crowd. I hear time and time again that not many actually troll on the lakes they are allowed to. So then why do you want it so bad if you don't plan on doing it based on the comment of " I primarily fish a lake in Wisconsin that allows trolling and I can count on one hand how many guys I see out there a year trolling for muskie"?

There are certain lakes in Northern WI that will be TARGETED by those trolling. Mark my words. Everyone is drooling at the thought of trolling some of the little, deep cisco based lake gems. Guaranteed I will join the crowd (yes, crowd) when it opens up! You would be foolish not to.
jonnysled
Posted 2/16/2015 11:51 AM (#754032 - in reply to #753527)

i agree with Travis ...
Jeff78
Posted 2/16/2015 11:53 AM (#754033 - in reply to #754031)

Agree completely Travis. I suspect that many of the members here were not around when backtrolling was legal in the early 90"s. Our shack was on a small deep lake, that opening weekend there were guides backtrolling 6 wide with planer boards. If people can troll they will.
Beaver
Posted 2/16/2015 12:46 PM (#754044 - in reply to #753527)

I have never wanted trolling to become law more than I do now. Without it, I'm done fishing for muskies. I can't stand up in a boat for very long much less cast lures while doing it. And we all know that you need lots of room and a high seat to cast while seated. One line trolling will keep me on the water. I too remember the backtrolling fiasco. That was the fault of the people that wrote the language. I was in Vilas County and saw Lake Michigan rigs trolling planer boards and down riggers in reverse. I thought that I was seeing things.
MartinTD
Posted 2/16/2015 1:09 PM (#754053 - in reply to #753607)

Beaver - 2/13/2015 5:12 PM

Right now I can troll all over WI with my disabled fishing license, but can only use an electric motor.

But you're done fishing muskies if it doesn't become law? I don't get it. I'm sure plenty of the pro-trolling crowd would be fine with being limited to a trolling motor.

Edited by MartinTD 2/16/2015 1:13 PM
CiscoKid
Posted 2/16/2015 1:30 PM (#754060 - in reply to #754044)

Beaver - 2/16/2015 12:46 PM

I have never wanted trolling to become law more than I do now. Without it, I'm done fishing for muskies. I can't stand up in a boat for very long much less cast lures while doing it. And we all know that you need lots of room and a high seat to cast while seated. One line trolling will keep me on the water. I too remember the backtrolling fiasco. That was the fault of the people that wrote the language. I was in Vilas County and saw Lake Michigan rigs trolling planer boards and down riggers in reverse. I thought that I was seeing things.

Beav I understand your scenario, and my comment is not directed towards you.
esoxaddict
Posted 2/16/2015 1:36 PM (#754062 - in reply to #753999)

CEK - 2/16/2015 9:37 AM

I am curious why you folks that view motor trolling as the end of the WI northwoods as we know it aren't leading the charge to ban wakeboard boats, wakeboarders, and jet skis from our precious northern waters?
I have way more issue with those obnoxious sobs than anyone trolling around two lines at 1-6 mph.
Well?

We're making progress on that front as well.

(1). Personal Watercraft.
(a). Shall only be operated in a "slow-no-wake"
manner within the shore zone and within 200 feet of any other personal
watercraft, boat, pier, dock or buoyed restricted
area.
(b). Hours of operation shall be limited to the hours
between 10:00 A.M. and 5:00 P.M. local time.

dirtybird
Posted 2/16/2015 1:41 PM (#754063 - in reply to #754044)

I prefer to cast and that is my method of choice and I simply stated what I saw on a popular lake that receives very little trolling pressure.
esoxaddict
Posted 2/16/2015 1:47 PM (#754065 - in reply to #753527)

Beav, have you looked into getting the special permit? I'm not sure how that process works, but it's in place for a reason. Nobody wants to see guys who have injuries, disabilities, or are just plain too old to cast have to hang up their musky hats.

Travis is right. There are lakes that WILL be targeted. There are enough people complaining here because they want to go troll those little potholes that the point doesn't even need to be argued. "I wanna go up there and troll all those little gems" is not justification enough to change laws. Neither is the argument that "It won't hurt the fisheries!" How do you know? Because you can troll on this and that lake and there is still good fishing to be had? What would those lakes be like if you couldn't troll? We're talking about lakes that are small in size, with healthy populations of fish that are only healthy because of a lack of fishing pressure.

That aside, has anyone considered that the health of the fishery is not the only concern? What about not ruining the fishing experience for those folks who really just want to go out there and enjoy total silence and only share the lake with a handful of other boats?

History has shown that in almost every case, if you give people an opportunity to abuse something and destroy it for others, they absolutely WILL.

CiscoKid
Posted 2/16/2015 1:49 PM (#754066 - in reply to #753999)

CEK - 2/16/2015 9:37 AM

I am curious why you folks that view motor trolling as the end of the WI northwoods as we know it aren't leading the charge to ban wakeboard boats, wakeboarders, and jet skis from our precious northern waters?
I have way more issue with those obnoxious sobs than anyone trolling around two lines at 1-6 mph.
Well?

Because my issue isn’t with noise, but rather with what can happen to certain resources. I am sure trolling will become legal at some point, and when that happens I am praying that my “sky is falling” doubts are for nothing. As if they are not the outcome will be much worse for us on those waters than those missing out on being able to cast and drag a sucker at the same time.

I keep hearing there is no evidence of the detriment that trolling will cause based on other waters that allow it. However I am not so sure those other waters have the same scenario as many of the new waters that would be impacted.
M Winther
Posted 2/16/2015 2:05 PM (#754068 - in reply to #754065)

What about not ruining the fishing experience for those folks who really just want to go out there and enjoy total silence and only share the lake with a handful of other boats?

if my 9.9hp 4-stroke motor disturbs you that much, perhaps it's time to buy yourself a private lake. you don't get to fish public waters and then complain when the public shows up.

esoxaddict
Posted 2/16/2015 2:23 PM (#754072 - in reply to #753527)

It's not your motor I am concerned about. I am concerned with catering to the desires of a few at the expense of something that will likely only be changed for the worse, and perhaps forever.

If it ain't broke...
ToddM
Posted 2/16/2015 3:24 PM (#754083 - in reply to #753527)

Of coarse, once you troll, you will become an expert fisherman. It is an option to catch fish. The problem isn't catching them, isn't that what everyone is trying to do? It is keeping them. There are plenty of small lakes with musky in them outside of northern Wisconsin that allow trolling. I would like to be able to take my grandfather out and troll for whatever. Bad fisherman will be bad trollers. Trollers make no more noise than a pontoon or a ski boat.

Edited by ToddM 2/16/2015 3:26 PM
BenR
Posted 2/16/2015 3:27 PM (#754085 - in reply to #753527)

I say 3 lines legal in all lakes in 2016. Just a hunch:-)
CiscoKid
Posted 2/16/2015 4:10 PM (#754095 - in reply to #753527)

Question for you that are for trolling? How would you feel about me, or anyone else, trolling fish up from 30-40' down? Not that depth of the lake, but let's say I am over 70' of water and run my baits at 35'. How about if I started doing that when the water temps are say 76-79 degrees? What about 80+?

M Winther
Posted 2/16/2015 4:15 PM (#754097 - in reply to #754072)

esoxaddict - 2/16/2015 2:23 PM It's not your motor I am concerned about. I am concerned with catering to the desires of a few at the expense of something that will likely only be changed for the worse, and perhaps forever. If it ain't broke...

http://youtu.be/g6jNA78oGZQ

start watching at about the 3:30 mark. apparently even fishing from a quiet kayak doesn't pass muster with some people's view of what is and is not acceptable use of "my lake."

if it ain't broke...

CiscoKid
Posted 2/16/2015 4:18 PM (#754098 - in reply to #754044)

Beav I would be all for them re-evaluating the disabled permit, and have that changed to gas motor rather than electric motor. You could probably get that in effect before the current proposal would get implemented.
jonnysled
Posted 2/16/2015 4:33 PM (#754100 - in reply to #754095)

CiscoKid - 2/16/2015 4:10 PM

Question for you that are for trolling? How would you feel about me, or anyone else, trolling fish up from 30-40' down? Not that depth of the lake, but let's say I am over 70' of water and run my baits at 35'. How about if I started doing that when the water temps are say 76-79 degrees? What about 80+?

I agree with Travis
jonnysled
Posted 2/16/2015 4:35 PM (#754101 - in reply to #754098)

CiscoKid - 2/16/2015 4:18 PM

Beav I would be all for them re-evaluating the disabled permit, and have that changed to gas motor rather than electric motor. You could probably get that in effect before the current proposal would get implemented.

I agree with Travis
ESOX Maniac
Posted 2/16/2015 6:35 PM (#754147 - in reply to #754101)

Sounds like this should be a one line/one lure rule for the 17 counties, either casting or trolling. It works for me in MN & Canada. I think Beav would be happy with that too.

Have fun!
Al
ToddM
Posted 2/16/2015 6:48 PM (#754158 - in reply to #753527)

What is keeping someone from fishing for them now under those conditions?

Edited by ToddM 2/16/2015 6:50 PM
CiscoKid
Posted 2/16/2015 6:58 PM (#754166 - in reply to #754158)

ToddM - 2/16/2015 6:48 PM

What is keeping someone from fishing for them now under those conditions?

Nothing except there is no efficient way to do it while casting, and thus catch would be lower. Throw in trolling, and I can now effectively and efficiently target that zone all day long. I am drooling at the thought.

Just asking a simple question Todd. So, what would you think?
Headlock
Posted 2/16/2015 7:22 PM (#754173 - in reply to #754095)

CiscoKid - 2/16/2015 4:10 PM

I want a chance to catch some of those big girls that live deep. I think the bigger problems are sucker dunkers and spearing but it is what it is. Fished in Vilas for a lot of years and have caught some hawgs but very rare I just want to give it a whirl. The row troller will be gone forever if this holds true. Will miss those days in that also.
jonnysled
Posted 2/16/2015 7:27 PM (#754176 - in reply to #754173)

"The rowtroller will be gone forever" = yes ...
M Winther
Posted 2/16/2015 7:33 PM (#754177 - in reply to #754166)

CiscoKid - 2/16/2015 6:58 PM
ToddM - 2/16/2015 6:48 PM What is keeping someone from fishing for them now under those conditions?
Nothing except there is no efficient way to do it while casting, and thus catch would be lower. Throw in trolling, and I can now effectively and efficiently target that zone all day long. I am drooling at the thought. Just asking a simple question Todd. So, what would you think?

Travis...why are you trotting out a biological harm argument that's not supported by evidence from other fisheries that allow trolling? Is it possible? Yes. Does it happen? Not to any meaningful degree.

jonnysled
Posted 2/16/2015 7:35 PM (#754179 - in reply to #754177)

^ all lakes are the same ... and there are lots of saturday to saturday tourists in madison i'm sure ...
Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... >
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)