Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : < ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Now viewing page 8 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Wisconsin Trolling proposal

Message Subject: Wisconsin Trolling proposal
jonnysled
Posted 2/23/2015 8:28 AM (#755645 - in reply to #755635)
Subject: Re: Wisconsin Trolling proposal

there is a lake that used to boast a fantastic pike population including some dandies ... a local guide took some folks from Appleton and they took some friends and so on and so on and so on ... until almost anything with any meat on the bone was removed out of the lake. the local lake association has since shut off the landing that was used so that nobody can fish out there anymore ... too bad. i was there before they got there and after releasing all the pike over 28 and keeping a few here and there. some of the meat hauls i saw made the spearing pictures used to get folks excited look pretty tame in comparison.

as soon as a lake is invested in, once limits are set the meat hunters will come and erase the progress regardless the method ... sad, but true. good news though is the same people have another "group" of people to blame and the wheel goes round and round.

anglers think they should use canoes, torches and spears, they probably think we should use oars ... but, we're the ones who are right.

Edited by jonnysled 2/23/2015 8:41 AM
sworrall
Posted 2/23/2015 8:43 AM (#755646 - in reply to #753527)

Lots of lakes like that. ice angling rips up 'hot bite' lakes every year. Good news is they leave, the fishing comes back, and it takes a long time for the hordes to figure it out.
dfkiii
Posted 2/23/2015 8:45 AM (#755647 - in reply to #753527)

With a daily bag limit of 5 fish it seems like the DNR is encouraging the harvest. They certainly have the ability to adjust the regs on a lake by lake basis, so maybe the PANW (Pike Alliance of Northern Wisconsin) could dump some cash into SW's favorite PAC and something will get done.
ToddM
Posted 2/23/2015 8:49 AM (#755648 - in reply to #753527)

This is like watching the Daytona 500, what lap are we on now?
sworrall
Posted 2/23/2015 8:56 AM (#755649 - in reply to #755629)

jonnysled - 2/23/2015 7:32 AM

so, based on what i've read ... then, what is so bad about spearing? just another method, right?

What's bad about spearing? The State has no control over the process and the politics has taken (predictably) decades to begin to moderate, just like it took decades for the Tribes to re-establish their rights within the law. Other than that, it's the way it is. Reality, and no matter how you spin it, we take way more fish than they do.

sled made an interesting point. Whether netting, spearing, or angling, if the Tribes take their quota, they take their quota, and it doesn't matter how it's accomplished. There are limits set, and most years the Tribes don't take all they announce and the limits go up just before season opens. Is spearing why we have little tiny limits? Yes. Is it 'wrong'? No, it's 'law' and a result of two Treaties our Government made with theirs.

Ice spearing is another issue only because of reporting, one no one seems to be able to get their arms around to get it added to the TAC.
sworrall
Posted 2/23/2015 9:02 AM (#755651 - in reply to #755647)

dfkiii - 2/23/2015 8:45 AM

With a daily bag limit of 5 fish it seems like the DNR is encouraging the harvest. They certainly have the ability to adjust the regs on a lake by lake basis, so maybe the PANW (Pike Alliance of Northern Wisconsin) could dump some cash into SW's favorite PAC and something will get done. ;)

I don't have a 'favorite PAC', but I wish there was one to try to protect big Pike waters like there is in MN. There was a lake that was a zero bag for Pike, and then a very limiting slot. Want to know why the limits were removed just as the big Pike were really showing up? The biologist in charge became concerned about the walleye population suffering.

jonnysled
Posted 2/23/2015 9:10 AM (#755654 - in reply to #753527)

i just get a kick out of anglers claiming "nothing will change" ...
Nershi
Posted 2/23/2015 9:17 AM (#755655 - in reply to #753527)

I would definitely agree ice fishing has much more of an effect than trolling with one line. There are several small lakes in MN that used to be great walleye fishing and catching large walleyes (27+) was pretty common if you knew what you were doing. Very few people targeted the walleyes in the summer and most that did weren't too good at it. The good walleye fisherman (trollers or otherwise) targeted larger bodies of water. Once ice fishing exploded 5-10 years ago the little lakes that were walleye gems got destroyed within a few winters. They have never came back and probably won't because they get pounded so hard every winter.

In MN we can only fish two lines in the winter and very few people use unmonitored set lines (tip ups) so I would imagine ice fishing to be even more detrimental in WI where three lines are allowed and just about everyone has at least one tip up out.

Edited by Nershi 2/23/2015 9:20 AM
sworrall
Posted 2/23/2015 9:17 AM (#755656 - in reply to #753527)

Of course things will change. People will be trolling. And we are not used to that up here.

If the thing gets signed by the Governor, which may not happen.
jonnysled
Posted 2/23/2015 9:25 AM (#755658 - in reply to #755656)

all tip-up lines in WI must be monitored ... unmonitored lines will get you a fine, so only difference on ice to MN is 3 vs. 2 lines.

ToddM ... it's gonna be a green-white-checker
Propster
Posted 2/23/2015 9:28 AM (#755661 - in reply to #755651)

sworrall - 2/23/2015 9:02 AM

dfkiii - 2/23/2015 8:45 AM

With a daily bag limit of 5 fish it seems like the DNR is encouraging the harvest. They certainly have the ability to adjust the regs on a lake by lake basis, so maybe the PANW (Pike Alliance of Northern Wisconsin) could dump some cash into SW's favorite PAC and something will get done. ;)

I don't have a 'favorite PAC', but I wish there was one to try to protect big Pike waters like there is in MN. There was a lake that was a zero bag for Pike, and then a very limiting slot. Want to know why the limits were removed just as the big Pike were really showing up? The biologist in charge became concerned about the walleye population suffering.

You would think the biologist would know, but that seems contradictory to everything I have read and heard. The presence of larger pike, keeping stunted panfish and hammerhandles in check among other things, would have actually been a boon to walleyes - both size and numbers I think.
ToddM
Posted 2/23/2015 9:30 AM (#755662 - in reply to #755658)

jonnysled - 2/23/2015 9:25 AM

all tip-up lines in WI must be monitored ... unmonitored lines will get you a fine, so only difference on ice to MN is 3 vs. 2 lines.

ToddM ... it's gonna be a green-white-checker

I will agree to not to spin you through the grass if you agree not to put me up in the catch fence.

Other than tradition, I just don't see much changing.
Nershi
Posted 2/23/2015 9:43 AM (#755666 - in reply to #755658)

Of course they do but that doesn't mean that they are.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen flags go up and several minutes later someone finally looks out the window of their shack and go pull up their throat hooked fish. That is unmonitored set lines, just very difficult for a C.O. to write a ticket for.
jonnysled
Posted 2/23/2015 9:53 AM (#755668 - in reply to #753527)

WI is no different than a line in the ice in MN. was the point. places like Montana are where true set-lining is legal.

unattended lines in both states are not legal ...

Millsie1
Posted 2/23/2015 11:01 AM (#755683 - in reply to #753527)

If the bass fishing has become so good why is it not promoted? Bass fisherman will travel. I'm going to go over to the Minoqua chain this summer. Sled, Want to go and show me around?
jonnysled
Posted 2/23/2015 11:15 AM (#755687 - in reply to #755683)

Millsie1 - 2/23/2015 11:01 AM

If the bass fishing has become so good why is it not promoted? Bass fisherman will travel. I'm going to go over to the Minoqua chain this summer. Sled, Want to go and show me around?

good question and a bit of a dichotomy ... the chamber is tuned in as much as getting phone calls for people running tournaments and accommodating, but they aren't out there soliciting them. the fisheries interests are for sure tuned in another direction (walleyes). it would be an even bigger conflict if there became an lmb vs. walleye agenda ...

seems to me that in Wisconsin smb's get respect and lmb's are treated as if they are carp. i tend to operate that way too ... i mean, lmb's are fun but fishing em is like being seen with a fat-chick ... but, they are so #*^@ fun!!

would love to show you some of the spots that i've found out there ... it's a hoot!! get your wacky-worm bite sensors tuned in!! September is a top-water bite that will leave you speechless!!

One of the challenges is to get them to take turns!! LOL, funniest piece of the picture story is there could very well have been an eagle in that net picture too if we hadn't screamed and shoo-ed it away!

Edited by jonnysled 2/23/2015 1:01 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(10603579_10203620202438446_1368315919595520156_n.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 10603579_10203620202438446_1368315919595520156_n.jpg (99KB - 235 downloads)
Mr Musky
Posted 2/23/2015 11:21 AM (#755689 - in reply to #753527)

All they have to do to clear up the position fishing with live bait problem is to "allow" trolling in the counties that currently don't allow it is to use electric motors only. Problem solved.

Edited by Mr Musky 2/23/2015 11:23 AM
ToddM
Posted 2/23/2015 12:13 PM (#755694 - in reply to #755683)

Tradition
sworrall
Posted 2/23/2015 12:43 PM (#755704 - in reply to #753527)

The bass fishing is that good. There's LOTS of incredible bass fishing, bot SMB and LMB up here now. Kind of like going home for me.
Millsie1
Posted 2/23/2015 3:22 PM (#755724 - in reply to #755687)

jonnysled - 2/23/2015 11:15 AM

good question and a bit of a dichotomy ... the chamber is tuned in as much as getting phone calls for people running tournaments and accommodating, but they aren't out there soliciting them. the fisheries interests are for sure tuned in another direction (walleyes). it would be an even bigger conflict if there became an lmb vs. walleye agenda ...

seems to me that in Wisconsin smb's get respect and lmb's are treated as if they are carp. i tend to operate that way too ... i mean, lmb's are fun but fishing em is like being seen with a fat-chick ... but, they are so #*^@ fun!!

would love to show you some of the spots that i've found out there ... it's a hoot!! get your wacky-worm bite sensors tuned in!! September is a top-water bite that will leave you speechless!!

One of the challenges is to get them to take turns!! LOL, funniest piece of the picture story is there could very well have been an eagle in that net picture too if we hadn't screamed and shoo-ed it away!

Great pic, Jon! I'll take you up on it this summer for sure! I love bass fishing. Not as much as musky but close.
North of 8
Posted 2/23/2015 4:30 PM (#755734 - in reply to #753527)
Subject: RE: Wisconsin Trolling proposal

It seems very few folks actually fish for bass on the lake where we live in northern WI, but there are some very nice fish. Couple years ago we were at the boat landing as volunteers for the clean water/clean boat program and a couple guys from the Milwaukee area came in off the lake. Had gone out early, fishing for crappie and had kept a nice batch for eating. The one guy commented about it being his first time on the lake and he could not get over how many nice small mouth they had caught and released fishing little plastic jigs for crappie. He said it got to be a pain because of replacing the little plastic tails. He asked if we got a lot of bass fishermen on the chain, and I told him no one I had talked to as a volunteer was ever after bass. He was really surprised.

I have caught some nice bass on muskie lures and one of my favorite photos is of a nephew frowning while holding up what had to be a five pound small mouth. He thought he had hooked his first musky when it hit and was really disappointed. My son said he didn't want a photo before he released it but was talked into it.
dfkiii
Posted 2/23/2015 4:51 PM (#755739 - in reply to #753527)

Love the bass fishing in our area. I've caught a few football sized smallies on topwaters while fishing for musky. Pound for pound, the toughest freshwater fish out there.

Never caught any trolling though.
esoxaddict
Posted 2/23/2015 6:21 PM (#755760 - in reply to #753527)

The LMB fishing is ridiculous compared to ten years ago. We used to catch them from time to time, but they were usually small, and few and far between.

We'll usually spend an afternoon targeting LMB, until we realize that we just drove 7 hours to catch the same fish we can catch around here, 15 minutes in any direction. That's probably why LMB fishing isn't really catching on "Up North"...

It may be a fun bonus for the locals who aren't used to such a thing. But for the tourists, I'd suspect it's not much of a draw considering every farm pond, forest preserve lake, park district lake, and retention pond down here in the circus has ample opportunities to catch LMB in the 2-3# range. Your average vinyl sided house-on-top-of house subdivision down here has at least one pond where you can catch LMB to your heart's content after work while still wearing your tie and dress shoes.

sworrall
Posted 2/23/2015 6:44 PM (#755766 - in reply to #753527)

And you can troll for 'em, too
Jerry Newman
Posted 2/23/2015 8:52 PM (#755799 - in reply to #755766)

When (not if) the trolling ban is lifted, and all the walleyes and muskies are decimated, at least there will still be LMB to fall back on. Trolling LMB... haha, could start a new “Club North” LMB trolling tradition... Buck Perry approved 

Edited by Jerry Newman 2/23/2015 8:53 PM
esoxaddict
Posted 2/24/2015 12:29 AM (#755817 - in reply to #755766)

sworrall - 2/23/2015 6:44 PM

That might save you from having to step around the McDonald's bags, empty bait containers, beer cans, empty cigarette packs, and dirty diapers you usually find strewn along the shoreline down here.

And if you think I'm kidding about the diapers, I'm not. I encounter at least one a year.

Ahh life in the sewer...
Reef Hawg
Posted 2/24/2015 9:35 AM (#755849 - in reply to #755817)

esoxaddict - 2/24/2015 12:29 AM

sworrall - 2/23/2015 6:44 PM

That might save you from having to step around the McDonald's bags, empty bait containers, beer cans, empty cigarette packs, and dirty diapers you usually find strewn along the shoreline down here.

And if you think I'm kidding about the diapers, I'm not. I encounter at least one a year.

Ahh life in the sewer...

Hey, if the bass are big enough, a guy might need a diaper. Just sayin.
Cfollow
Posted 3/1/2015 7:35 PM (#756775 - in reply to #755666)

Nershi - 2/23/2015 9:43 AM

Of course they do but that doesn't mean that they are.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen flags go up and several minutes later someone finally looks out the window of their shack and go pull up their throat hooked fish. That is unmonitored set lines, just very difficult for a C.O. to write a ticket for.

This one made me laugh. Do you have to sprint to the flag that is up? If so, what does an individuals 40 yard dash time need to be?
It's difficult to write a ticket because it isn't unattended, Einstein!
beerforthemuskygods
Posted 3/1/2015 8:00 PM (#756779 - in reply to #753527)

Makin' some popcorn...
Nershi
Posted 3/1/2015 8:04 PM (#756780 - in reply to #756775)

Cfollow - 3/1/2015 7:35 PM

. Do you have to sprint to the flag that is up? If so, what does an individuals 40 yard dash time need to be?
!

Well it depends if they are holding their breathe or not.

The point to the tip up comment was merely that you have higher hook mortality with the use of tip ups. Wi folks love tip ups! Lol
Jump to page : < ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Now viewing page 8 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)