Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> eelpout festival

Message Subject: eelpout festival
Kingfisher
Posted 1/24/2015 11:32 AM (#750147 - in reply to #744453)
Subject: Re: eelpout festival

We have them here in Lake Michigan. I caught two of them while fishing in 56 feet of water for perch. I have heard them called Ling Cod, Lawyers, Eel Pout, Burbot and fresh water codfish. Ugly but they are supposed to be great eating with firm mild flesh throughout the entire body. e also used to joke around abut things like the perfect eel pout boat sponsors etc. interesting fish though. Mike
leech lake strain
Posted 1/24/2015 5:19 PM (#750193 - in reply to #744453)

used to catch a lot of 9 lbers on Leech was common with a few 10-13lbs here and there. A 2 person team could catch 70-90lbs of fish in a couple hrs back in the day but the festival has really hurt the numbers. Size is way down two of course a 7 lber is a good fish now it seems. A lot of people think they are just a worthless bottom feeder but in my opinion I think that the majority of there diet is crayfish, I would say maybe around 90% even. When the rusty crayfish invaded Leech Lake it dint help that the eelpout numbers were way down. Maybe the mile long weed beds would of standed a chance?
kevin cochran
Posted 1/26/2015 8:02 PM (#750477 - in reply to #744453)

Ate eelpout last week. The backstraps are best boiled in Squirt and we pan fry the tail section.
Eelpout fest is a party on the ice. There isn't any serious fishing that takes place. Decide to get out of control and you have to clean up when the party is over on Sunday or go to jail. Your choice. The clean up isn't bad.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)