Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Learned something new this year

Message Subject: Learned something new this year
FISHFINDER101
Posted 12/15/2014 2:44 PM (#744174)
Subject: Learned something new this year

Its only been the last few years that I have basically focused on targeting musky. I have attended a lot of seminars/meetings, watched a lot of videos, visit M1 just about everyday, build alot of my own lures now and I could go on. I'm always looking for new ideas, what others are doing and trying to learn as much about musky fishing as possible. When I look back to where i was 3-4 years ago to where I am now, I'm far from an expert, but I'm amazed how far i've come and all the new things i've learned along the way. I think the most important thing ive learned is to just keep putting time in on the water and documenting my experiences along the way. I stuck to a few of my go to lures and tried to really learn how to use them effectively. I'm a big fan of Inline spinners and they seen the water the most probably. I also like to use a black unweighted suick a ton, those have put the most fish in my boat over the last few years. This past year I had really high expectations and was hoping for more fish in the boat and really felt like i was starting to figure things out. Well I had a tough start to my season using the old reliables. Finally I made it a point to try something different, i had to change what i was doing, I knew there were fish around and i just had to figure out how to get them to bite. I decided to build a couple spinner baits, I was fishing back river channels alot with a lot of wood and weeds and wanted a lure that i could run through cover and roll over the down trees. I put together a fire tiger skirt with a #6 silver and #8 copper colorado blade and within mintues of casting had a musky smashing it. I missed 10 fish this day, so now i had to figure out why I was not getting a good hook set. I added a trailer hook and made sure to keep both hooks sharp and this helped a lot, also i feel i just started getting used to the lure and the strike. This particular lure was catching fish when nothing else would. I really felt like i took what i learned over the last few years and made the right adjustments based on what i learned and turned my season around! I'm curious to hear if anyone else would like to share something they felt they learned last season that made a difference.

Edited by FISHFINDER101 12/15/2014 2:49 PM
Mark Hoerich
Posted 12/15/2014 6:52 PM (#744211 - in reply to #744174)
Subject: RE: Learned something new this year

Way to go Elijah, sometimes you have to have the confidence to think outside the box, and try something different. You did just that, and found the key on with that bait. Nicely done. Sometimes we may find ourselves using the same water, and same baits without trying another angle.
Recently I had nothing going with my usual Fall pattern of success, so I turned the tables and tried a completely different and much shallower area of water for me on this particular lake, and ended up with a few really nice fish for the weekend.
Change it up, take a shot...you just never know what might happen.
Jeremy
Posted 12/15/2014 9:03 PM (#744250 - in reply to #744174)
Subject: Re: Learned something new this year

Nice post Elijah. I've been at this game on/off semi-seriously for 3o+ yrs now. Last time I tossed a Suick was in the '80's on Little Boy lake. Didn't think enough to re-tie my 36# Dacron back then. Lazy! Got hit by a decent (I guess) fish and broke off on the set.

That fish came to the surface twice trying to shake that bait. I've felt for the critter ever since. Anyways, for some odd reason I decided to give them another try this summer and got nicely surprised. Took a PB! I had just one new HI bait and it gave me lots of fun over the season.

Now I have a dozen and plan on getting the most out of each of a few different colors, sizes and configs. of that bait.

Keep at it. I hear black is one of the better colors... Mine took a Perch color but I have a bunch of different offerings now for next season!

I "used" to be 99% topwater. I'm taking a short break from that now!

Jeremy.
FISHFINDER101
Posted 12/17/2014 8:43 AM (#744474 - in reply to #744174)

Normally my black suick will let me know if the fish are in, I like it that much. Two years ago when I started to get the hang of using it, I had action on that one lure everytime I went out. I either raised a fish, had a strike or caught a fish. I love the black wood suick, by far one of my favorites. I've thrown that lure so much that i can now basically make it do whatever i want it to do.
SHO-NUFF
Posted 12/17/2014 9:09 AM (#744482 - in reply to #744174)

Thanks for the great post---- I believe you've touched on the "ONE CONSTANT" of musky fishing/hunting----that being--- THERE ARE NO RULES. The BEST part of musky fishing is the fact that every situation is different---every day on the water is a "work in progress" and what worked yesterday may NOT work today. That is what makes musky fishing UNIQUE/SPECIAL ---- knowing that I know NOTHING about the sport has put over 500 fish in my boat---- just keep casting---- take care----Pat Elza
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)