Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> tackle boxes

Message Subject: tackle boxes
smj617
Posted 11/25/2009 7:33 PM (#409808)
Subject: tackle boxes

Why are musky tackle boxes so limited and expensive? Its ridiculus. All I need is a box that will hold about 30 medium sized musky lures (nothing over 10") and about 15 large safety pin style spinnerbaits. And maybe a compartment that will hold some leaders, pliers, and odds and ends. There are a couple of boxes that look promising but they dont either hold spinnerbaits or the compartments are way to deep or they just plain cost to much. Bass anglers are lucky, they have a million boxes to choose from. Looks like I will just have to make something.
muskie_man
Posted 11/25/2009 7:44 PM (#409811 - in reply to #409808)
Subject: Re: tackle boxes

Just get ya some clear planos and throw them in there.
Performance_Tuned
Posted 11/25/2009 8:56 PM (#409823 - in reply to #409811)

Seriously, I feel you pain. I use one of Bass Pro Shops boat bags that are made of canvas and are pretty water proof when they are zipped closed. In this I carry 4 Plano
3730 boxes and 4 Lock and Lock food storage boxes from wally world. All these are placed in the bag like books on a shelf and I can see what is in each one. These bags come with a sturdy shoulder strap and loops that I use to hang a binder style worm wallet that holds my spinnerbaits. The one I have is made by storm lures and I got it on clearance at walmart. It will easily hold 1 M&G size spinnerbait in each worm bag.
This set up would easily carry the gear that you mentioned and won't break the bank as
BPS tends to routinely put these bags on sale.

Almost-B-Good
Posted 11/26/2009 7:50 AM (#409851 - in reply to #409808)
Subject: RE: tackle boxes

I hear ya!

My favorite, a Plano Phantom double sided box is just about worn out. It easily holds about 30 normal sized musky lures, takes up little room in the boat and is easy to open without taking up another acre of room like the hinged big hanging style boxes. I have a little canvas zipper bag I call my "everything" bag that completes my traveling equipment. In it are my release tools, files, leaders, camera, sunscreen, bug spray, asprin, rolaids, plastic trailer tails, scale, tape measure, sucker sinkers, jerkbait weights, extra swivels/snaps, and maps.

Why can't they leave a good thing alone! Every time I get a box that is really functional they discontinue it and replace it with something that is disfunctional! I had it happen with my Plano 7777 walleye/pike and salmon boxes, and as you said, the bass boxes are the only ones that seem to still be made with fishing in mind.

You have to wonder just who is designing those boxes and for what?
sworrall
Posted 11/26/2009 9:19 AM (#409869 - in reply to #409808)

We pay up to $50 for a GIANT lure yet complain when a tackle box designed specifically to hold the things costs about 20% of the intended contents? $400 for a reel, $120 to $300 for a rod...it's because we want, as a group, to use and store securely our HUGE gear.

Just invest in a Just Encase and you will never need another box...and he'll build you your box to order if you like.
Tackle Industries
Posted 11/26/2009 9:31 AM (#409872 - in reply to #409808)

I have about 100 Plano 3700 series boxes and love them. But, I saw that Just Encase this year at the MN show and its real close to making my shopping list for the shows in 2010. That thing looks like it was built by an engineer who fishes for musky. Nice box and well thought out. JMO
James
piker
Posted 11/26/2009 9:34 AM (#409874 - in reply to #409808)

I 100% agree with wath sworral said.
PIKEMASTER
Posted 11/26/2009 9:44 AM (#409875 - in reply to #409808)

smj617 you are so right, the Bass guys they have alot of choices that don't cost a arm and leg like the encase boxes, also they are so heavy you need a forklift to get the box in and out of your boat. Plano is coming out with alot of new plastic boxes, ck out there web site. Also LAKEWOOD has alot of new stuff coming out. I spend a lot of $$$ on reels and baits, guess I have a hard time spending as much or more $$$ as I do for a reel on a clear plastic tackle box. If I had a Ranger I would spend the $$$ to have it as a casting deck, I guess guys leave them in year round, I don't see way you would take them out but to clean the box once a year.

Edited by PIKEMASTER 11/26/2009 12:14 PM
justencase
Posted 11/26/2009 11:28 AM (#409896 - in reply to #409875)

On this Thanksgiving Day, I want to say thank you to the many customers who own a Just Encase ClearView tackle box. This is approximately the one year anniversary of bringing the product line to market following field testing.

It would be great to see postings and/or blog entries on M1st and on my website blog at www.justencase.com/newblog from those of you who have purchased and actually used a Just Encase ClearView tackle case over this past season.

Maybe your feedback would add some perspective to this M1st posting....

Bob Schmitt
[email protected]
www.justencase.com/newblog
sworrall
Posted 11/26/2009 1:06 PM (#409911 - in reply to #409808)

PIKEMASTER;
I have two Just Encase tackle boxes, and one custom case for the OFM Underwater recording studio. My Just Encase boxes are not allot heavier actual weight-wise than my Lakewoods are, and are securely locked inside my rig. I can see which lure is in which compartment, and the box is vented so my lures dry nicely even though the lid is locked shut. I don't own a folk lift, and I'd guess you don't own a Just Encase.
jackson
Posted 11/30/2009 8:05 AM (#410230 - in reply to #409808)

Although i have a few tackle boxes for musky lures, i have used other ideas. you can take a 5 gallon bucket and put pieces of 1.5 or 2" PVC pipe inside. Hang the lures inside the PVC tubes. It works just like most of the tackle boxes. You can even buy lids for 5 gallon pales.
Steve Jonesi
Posted 11/30/2009 12:03 PM (#410251 - in reply to #409808)

I've used just about every tackle storage system ever devised over the last 30+ years and this Summer, picked up a Just Encase. A smaller version, but tall enough for Super Models and Rubber. I was able to store my camera, essential tools and all misc. terminal tackle in the drawer at the bottom. I fished with several different guys this year and was able to carry with me, all I would need for an adventure, no matter the location(lake) or duration. Cost??? If you're fishin' muskies, you've already gone to the Dark Side so you should know better not to question cost. LOL X 10,000. Ya know how a Muskie Fisherman/Woman becomes a Millionaire????? They start with 2!!!! Seriously, low cost can often mean "Cheap" and when considering "value", durability is a top priority. I will be investigating another Just Encase this Winter.
bn
Posted 11/30/2009 12:28 PM (#410256 - in reply to #409808)

for me, the best thing I have found are just the 3700/3730 Plano's and some soft sided tackle box bags...I've got a Shimano one that holds 3 of the plano's and another bigger one that holds 5....when I go on weekends to Vilas or other places I can easily fit the lures I need in one of those...the JustEncase ones look nice but I still like the versatility of $5 Planos...
Flambeauski
Posted 11/30/2009 3:18 PM (#410277 - in reply to #409808)

Everyone's situation is different. If I had a 20 foot boat that I fished out of 100% of the time the Justencase is great. Suppose I'm fishing with a friend who has a 17 foot boat and a Justencase of his own. We wouldn't have room for the beer or the dog. Styrofoam minnow buckets will hold about 10 lures and cost about a dollar. When it comes to spending on fishing stuff I need to pick my battles.
IMO the Justencase boxes look awesome just not that convenient if you lack space or jump from boat to boat.
indianafisher
Posted 11/30/2009 6:31 PM (#410306 - in reply to #409808)

Gander Mountain in indianapolis has the green flambou(sp)hanging tackle boxes that are normaly for sale at $50 when they rang it up came out to 19.95. One heck of a deal if you ask me.
sworrall
Posted 11/30/2009 8:18 PM (#410322 - in reply to #410277)

Flambeauski - 11/30/2009 3:18 PM

Everyone's situation is different. If I had a 20 foot boat that I fished out of 100% of the time the Justencase is great. Suppose I'm fishing with a friend who has a 17 foot boat and a Justencase of his own. We wouldn't have room for the beer or the dog. Styrofoam minnow buckets will hold about 10 lures and cost about a dollar. When it comes to spending on fishing stuff I need to pick my battles.
IMO the Justencase boxes look awesome just not that convenient if you lack space or jump from boat to boat.

I fish a 16'9" boat most of the time. I have a Just Encase box I move from that boat to my 20 footer, to friend's boats, and back to my 1690 all the time. Its compact but efficient design allows plenty of room in my rig for other stuff. Remember, you can get any size Just Encase you wish as a custom build. Not a bit inconvenient, and I'm not sure why you would assume it would be unless you order a really large one.
PIKEMASTER
Posted 12/1/2009 8:15 AM (#410366 - in reply to #409808)

]smj617 - 11/25/2009 7:33 PM

Why are musky tackle boxes so limited and expensive? Its ridiculus. All I need is a box that will hold about 30 medium sized musky lures (nothing over 10") and about 15 large safety pin style spinnerbaits. And maybe a compartment that will hold some leaders, pliers, and odds and ends. There are a couple of boxes that look promising but they dont either hold spinnerbaits or the compartments are way to deep or they just plain cost to much. Bass anglers are lucky, they have a million boxes to choose from. Looks like I will just have to make something.

The encase boxes are nice but they start at $100.00 for the smallest one !!!!!
smj617 wants some ideas that don't cost starting at $100.00
Read his post
MikeHulbert
Posted 12/1/2009 8:54 AM (#410375 - in reply to #409808)

Don't forget out the custom boxes that Mark can build from Muskie Bumper, maker of the best bump boards out there. He did this box for me. 55 inches long, holds over 200 lures. Cost of one of these is ALOT cheaper than you think....just a few bucks more than a monster Lakewood. Mark can make them with a lid as well. I didn't want one on my box, but some people do. You can stand on this box without any issues what so ever. Custom built boxes for any boat that will hold over 200 baits for around $200...pretty sweet deal if you ask me! I also want to add that each slot is 4.25x4.25 inches, plenty big enough for 3 pounders in one square. The box also has short "legs" on it that keep it above my drain and seat bases.

Edited by MikeHulbert 12/1/2009 8:59 AM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(PBox1.jpg)

(PBox2.jpg)

(PBox3.jpg)

(PBox4.jpg)

(PBox6.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments PBox1.jpg (37KB - 1470 downloads)
Attachments PBox2.jpg (25KB - 486 downloads)
Attachments PBox3.jpg (33KB - 1201 downloads)
Attachments PBox4.jpg (35KB - 2178 downloads)
Attachments PBox6.jpg (18KB - 493 downloads)
sworrall
Posted 12/1/2009 9:47 AM (#410383 - in reply to #409808)

I did read his post, PM. So did everyone else here. He said Muskie boxes are 'limited and expensive'. As compared to what....a reel? Good high quality rod? A few baits?

The Just Encase isn't limited, one can be designed to fit any specific need. And by comparison to the gear he seems to want to store in the box, not all that expensive. He didn't set a low end price; nor did he set a high end price.

And, some very 'inexpensive' options were suggested. I just feel skimping on the box you store $500 to $2000.00 worth of baits in makes no real sense.

bturg
Posted 12/1/2009 9:54 AM (#410389 - in reply to #410375)

If you want a cheap setup there are a number of them out there, Plano Boxes in a duffel, Plano muskie boxes etc. The reality is everyone has a different need and a different budget. There are cheap rods, cheap reels, cheap tackle storage systems etc. But try jamming your $25 pounders, 14" Jakes, And SuperModels into the small slots and holes in the lower end products and you will see a need for something bigger and better. Spend what you want and can afford.....if you can afford the best you will only have to buy it once....and that is what value is really about.
Muskerboy
Posted 12/1/2009 2:26 PM (#410434 - in reply to #409808)

These aren't a bad price and they have a couple in musky size.
http://www.bbbaitbox.com/
muskyjackson
Posted 12/1/2009 5:16 PM (#410454 - in reply to #409808)

heres what i did for a tackle box, and it only cost about 20 bucks! you get an old milk crate and then get some pvc downspout for gutters and cut that down to size and put them in the milk crate. it works perfectly and will hold probably up to 40 or 50 baits.
rob.s
Posted 12/1/2009 7:46 PM (#410472 - in reply to #409808)

I use the musky crate also. Small to medium size baits i use 3'' pvc pipe .

(musky 001.jpg)

(musky 002.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments musky 001.jpg (127KB - 1586 downloads)
Attachments musky 002.jpg (89KB - 528 downloads)
Steve Jonesi
Posted 12/2/2009 7:05 PM (#410581 - in reply to #409808)

Hahahaha.I sold my 20 footer and was in and out of 14-17' boats all season with the model I have. Aw heck, ya don't even need a box for a couple Cowgirls and a fist full of Rubba.LOL. Stupid fish.
Chasin50
Posted 12/2/2009 8:27 PM (#410602 - in reply to #409808)

Everyone has different needs and frankly my own needs change depending on whether I am trolling or casting, and what lake I plan to fish. IMOHO, there is no perfect boxt in general... I think finding a box for a very specific need is the way to go about this...

If you can find a readily availble box that suits your needs for a certain situation, great, you will save money... More than likely a custom is going to be your best bet at the perfect box for you.

I personally have tried many different boxes through the years. One of my favorites for trolling baits is no longer available that I know of, but it was a guy selling large grey Plano boxes with clear inserts. Seems to me it was a tool and die guy doing this on the side. I can get 100 wileys in one of those bad boys... And, it is nice and compact.

I now also use the deep plano boxes to hold various baits. I put these in/out of the boat as needed depending on where I fish.

Most recently, I bit the bullet on 2 Justencase boxes. Bob was very helpful through the design process for my very specific needs. Nothing too fancy, but very specific end use.

I also have a couple lakewoods I use just for casting baits. I may also make the switch away from those if i can find a better solution. Justencase is a strong possibility.

In short, can't have just one, and there is no perfect "one".
muskyroller
Posted 12/2/2009 9:02 PM (#410608 - in reply to #409808)

I use the Musky Bucket from Rollie and Helen's. It works great for boat hopping. I can store larger dawgs in the middle and spinnerbaits wherever I choose. I then super glued velcro straps around it and store my "tools" between two pieces of velcro.

Works for me, right around 25$

Steve
JRedig
Posted 12/2/2009 10:20 PM (#410618 - in reply to #409808)

I can say without question, avoid the bucher "big game" tackle box. I got one as a present and it is a NIGHTMARE to get lures out of. Any rubber baits bigger than a regular bulldawg or 8 inch crank get hung up in the box and you have to pull everything out together to unhook it. Or maybe i finally found a use for my hook pic...
Sway
Posted 7/8/2010 12:40 PM (#449021 - in reply to #409808)

I don't think anyone mentioned the Special Mate boxes, more specifically the model 134c5 and model 8225s. Anyone use these?

http://www.jacksonlures.com/Commerce2/Mate.htm
Makintrax73
Posted 7/8/2010 3:24 PM (#449054 - in reply to #409808)

smj617 - 11/25/2009 7:33 PM

This tackle bag:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_1...

It is on sale for $25. Buy the bag along with 3 plano 3730's - they fit exactly into the main compartment, or you can mix and match 3730's and 3700's. You can fit another smaller Plano in the front compartment for leaders, etc., and there are two side pockets for release tools, maps, etc. All in less than $50.
Lay In A Line
Posted 7/11/2010 10:33 PM (#449478 - in reply to #409808)

Lakewood Products make quality musky boxes in different sizes and configurations. Lakewood is a family owned company located north of Green Bay. Steve has always be a huge supporter of our local MUSKIE'S Inc chapter. Check out their fine products.

http://www.lakewoodproducts.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_...

Kevin
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)