Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Best Backpack Style Tackle Box for Shoreline Fishing

Message Subject: Best Backpack Style Tackle Box for Shoreline Fishing
Brett Carroll
Posted 4/14/2014 3:09 PM (#706732)
Subject: Best Backpack Style Tackle Box for Shoreline Fishing

Looking for a good backpack style bag/box that I can use fishing smaller creeks for musky. I've seen a lot of backpacks but none seem large enough to hold a decent amount of musky lures and tools.

Anything good anyone has seen?
hawkeye9
Posted 4/14/2014 3:41 PM (#706737 - in reply to #706732)
Subject: RE: Best Backpack Style Tackle Box for Shoreline Fishing

Have you looked at Wild River bags?
MD75
Posted 4/14/2014 3:53 PM (#706740 - in reply to #706732)
Subject: Re: Best Backpack Style Tackle Box for Shoreline Fishing

Simms Full Day pack...Will hold a couple of Planos, tools and a small lunch. Lots of tie off points for water bottles and Boga Grip if you use one. Well made and looks good too! I also have a Marmot CAM backpack that is nice for shorter trips and has held up well...
sworrall
Posted 4/14/2014 11:12 PM (#706832 - in reply to #706740)

Wild River. We have several, and really like the bags, they are designed to carry fishing tackle, but we use them for many purposes.

They have a new bag out we use for our camera gear and electronic stuff, has an optional solar panel and a rechargeable battery pack to charge and power your phone, etc. We charge our Aqua-Vu micros, and camcorders with the pack when needed in the field. This is top quality gear all the way from the makers of CLC work gear.

The backpacks feature a stowed rain guard, are bright orange inside so you can see what's in the compartments, the flaps unzip and then serve as a shelf to work on, the bags are lighted (which is nice at dusk and after dark) and are overall very functional. Beat anything we have ever used. They are not cheap, but in this case you really do get what you pay for. And, the company understands quality and durability. CLC builds some of the best work gear out there.

Pictured first is a Camo Recon we use for river fishing, ice fishing, and field trips. Second is a Bass and Pike bag lit up after dark.

www.gowildriver.com

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(DSC_0187 (Copy).jpg)

(WR.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC_0187 (Copy).jpg (130KB - 256 downloads)
Attachments WR.jpg (143KB - 255 downloads)
anzomcik
Posted 4/15/2014 5:26 AM (#706845 - in reply to #706732)

I was in the same boat so to speak as you are, I couldn't find a bag I liked. I also got frustrated with the amount of messing around that came with a back pack, it might sound silly but taking it off, unzipping ,pulling out boxes, opening then to grab baits, reverse order to put things away... got old for me.

So I made my own bag to carry baits when shore fishing. I know it isn't perfect and people will always criticize but its the best system I have found for shore fishing.

Its large enough to carry 8-12 baits, more than enough for a couple hour bank trip, it has its own area for tools. I think its a pretty nicely thought out bag for musky fishing. Its quickly thrown over a shoulder, I can change baits with out taking it off by opening the flap everything is right there. It solved many of the issues I had with back packs.

I also have it double as a travel bag when I am fishing in another persons boat. So if you cant find a store bought bag you like, maybe think of building your own and making it fit your needs, like I did with this one. Maybe it will spark an idea for you.

photo photo2_zps9c1b562d.jpg
 photo photo22_zps3f5872d6.jpg
 photo photo12_zps88602721.jpg
 photo photo4_zps03e90353.jpg
TJones
Posted 4/15/2014 7:38 AM (#706853 - in reply to #706732)

That is a really nice bag AZ... I don't really like the hassle of backback type bags either. Closest thing I've found to a bag like AZ made is one of the surfcasting plug bags. I think mine is a precision pack with is a cheap but OK bag... there are much better ones on the market. None quite as optimized for bigger musky baits like AZs however... at least that I found
tolle141
Posted 4/15/2014 12:02 PM (#706913 - in reply to #706732)

Kelty Redwing 50. You can stuff at least 3 of the big Plano's and have tons of space for your tools, etc. Zips almost all the way to the bottom as well so you can just lay it down. Great backpack.

http://www.rei.com/product/848267/kelty-redwing-50-pack
Slamr
Posted 4/15/2014 12:34 PM (#706922 - in reply to #706913)

tolle141 - 4/15/2014 12:02 PM

Kelty Redwing 50. You can stuff at least 3 of the big Plano's and have tons of space for your tools, etc. Zips almost all the way to the bottom as well so you can just lay it down. Great backpack.

http://www.rei.com/product/848267/kelty-redwing-50-pack

I have this backpack, it's a frickin miracle of size and durability. When the zombie apocalypse hits, I'm at least ready with something to carry everything with.
Ebenezer
Posted 4/15/2014 3:26 PM (#706956 - in reply to #706732)

I have only two big Planos of lures in my small backpack. Plano #2 is mostly backup rubber. If I know the trip is going to be short, I never feel shorted with only one Plano of lures. Tools go to a side pocket. Water, select munchies, celebratory flask, lightweight rain jacket and I'm all set for a creek expedition.
black_dawg
Posted 4/15/2014 8:23 PM (#707029 - in reply to #706732)

Check out Camel Bak's website. I have a few of their bags that are absolutely awesome. One has 2 combat deployments, probably 100 plane rides as a carry on and checked baggage, strapped to my motorcycle for 10,000 miles, and every other trip that has required a small bag. It's still just as good as the day I bought it. Pricey, yes. Cargo and hydration in one pack. And nearly indestructible.

My recommendation: http://shop.camelbak.com/Military-Tactical/linchpin/d/1123_c_401_cl...
Chain Gang
Posted 4/17/2014 10:52 AM (#707333 - in reply to #706732)

Look into some of the stuff savage gear has out. I don't shore fish but it looks cool for those that do.
sworrall
Posted 4/17/2014 12:44 PM (#707357 - in reply to #707333)

The new Wild River Nomad XP charging lighted bag with optional solar panel. Charges phones, tablets, etc, pretty much anything with a USB charge cord.

This thing is cool, we'll have it in use as soon as the freaking snow that fell this week is gone.

(DSC_1446.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC_1446.jpg (228KB - 263 downloads)
Mojo1269
Posted 4/17/2014 12:56 PM (#707361 - in reply to #707357)

Can you put a 3700 Sized Plano in that Steve?
Brett Carroll
Posted 4/17/2014 12:56 PM (#707362 - in reply to #706732)

I guess I'm going to have do some research. My original thought was that there would only be 1 or 2 decent bags and that was it. I always just carried around a school backpack but the straps on that are starting to break. Also, wanted something a bit larger that can carry more. The major key I think with the bag is to have an easy access to my tools for getting a fish unhooked. Shore fishing can be a pain and in some spots its almost impossible to land a fish. Going to have to look at all the details to figure out what I want.

Thanks!
Masqui-ninja
Posted 4/17/2014 1:43 PM (#707375 - in reply to #707362)

I thought it would be cool to add some lure tubes to one of these welding backpacks

http://www.revcoindustries.com/newbsx/extreme-welders-gear-pack-p-5...

I suppose the helmet part could hold a lunchbox or jacket...
scmuskies
Posted 4/17/2014 2:56 PM (#707392 - in reply to #706732)

Get one of these bags:

Fleet Farm bag

Cabelas 3700 bag

And better straps for them, like these:

Bag straps - Phenix straps are the best if you can find them

Been using the fleet farm bag & better straps for 5+ years now - easy to carry, can fit 3 of the deep 3700 size boxes in it, all the tools I need, + side pockets for even more fun! The pre-made bags typically lack on good straps from ones I've tried on & you'll be saving money over them with this combo. I did upgrade to the Cabelas bag above this year due to a hard/rubberized bottom which will be better for throwing it in the truck or on rocks, etc.
Chain Gang
Posted 4/17/2014 5:09 PM (#707418 - in reply to #706732)

http://www.fishingmegastore.com/lure--tackle-boxes_2451.html?filter...
Brett Carroll
Posted 4/18/2014 9:49 AM (#707534 - in reply to #706732)

I actually split my time between disc golf and fishing. If I have the 2 1/2 year old with me its disc golfing because with the shore it can be tough to manage. If he's with the wife I'd rather go fishing. Problem is that I got rid of my bag that would have been perfect for carrying lures/tackle. Love the idea on the straps too...makes sense!
muskyroller
Posted 4/19/2014 8:53 PM (#707770 - in reply to #706732)

Did some searching and looking at prices I found the Cabela's Advanced Angler's Backpack...63$ on sale. It also comes with 3 plano 3650. My only concern is will 3650s hold any musky lures? Are the partitions removable, making the trays longer?

May 15 Cabela's opens up in Woodbury. Hope they have this bag at the store so I can check it out in person, before buying online.
Mojo1269
Posted 4/20/2014 4:07 PM (#707846 - in reply to #706732)

I have been using a Patagonia BLack Hole 35 the last 2 years. Holds 2 3700's plus ther is room for other stuff in the cavity and plent of room in the top for plastics, leaders, tools etc...or

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/black-hole-pack?p=49330-0
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)