Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Is tranx worth the hype

Message Subject: Is tranx worth the hype
MstrMusky
Posted 4/25/2014 7:38 AM (#708733 - in reply to #707784)
Subject: Re: Is tranx worth the hype

I went back and forth on PG vs. HG as well. I wound up with the PG. Logic was that if I wanted to go faster, I could crank faster (more easily). I don't regret it. Even with the PG, I was almost blowing the Spanky baits out of the water. My buddies were laughing at me and how fast the baits were moving. I handed one buddy my rod & reel with the Tranx...and after a handful of casts he decided he was getting one. He just got the PG a few weeks ago...
bcram555
Posted 4/25/2014 8:31 AM (#708742 - in reply to #707784)
Subject: RE: Is tranx worth the hype

I originally bought the HG thinking it would be best for everything. I originally thought, it gets 43 inches per crank, and will be great for reeling in slack line, and if it is a little tougher to pull big blades because of the higher gear ratio I won't have to turn the handle as fast because it gets so much line per turn and so that will make up for it and it will work well. I WAS WRONG. It's great for throwing rubber or any kind of jerk bait and reeling in slack. It's also great for small bucktails. But I found that it's just too hard to turn the handle and crank in 10's and bigger for long hours. So I bought the PG and its night and day difference. So much better for big blades. I'm surprised anybody uses the HG for big blades but it looks like some do. I'm not saying they are wrong for using the HG, but I think far more guys use the PG for big blades.
Sidejack
Posted 4/25/2014 8:36 AM (#708743 - in reply to #707784)

Might just be the hype but I still say the PG-13 is the most appropriately rated choice for big rubber.
Baby Mallard
Posted 4/25/2014 8:46 AM (#708744 - in reply to #708742)
Subject: RE: Is tranx worth the hype

I used the HG the entire season last year and it's the nicest reel I have ever used.  I caught more fish the previous year with my revo toro though.
dami0101
Posted 4/25/2014 10:40 AM (#708758 - in reply to #707784)

I think if you buy a rod or reel expecting it's going to catch you more fish, you are doing it wrong. Yes we all want to catch more fish, but to me new equipment is about having a more enjoyable experience while out on the water. I bought my PG with the expectation that it would make bringing in big blades easier and the extra line pickup will help with the burning. So I'm expecting a more enjoyable experience and if I catch more fish great.
pnkocher
Posted 4/25/2014 6:39 PM (#708844 - in reply to #708758)

I love my Tranx HG and PG, but my best year on bucktails was with a Calcutta 400B, so you never know. Sometimes muskies like max speed, sometimes they do not, and it's hard to slow down.

I use the PG for 10's/13''s. I use the HG as well for big blades....but if you're tossing them for days on end, PG is the way to go. I have used an HG for seven straight days tossing bucktails - it was fine - I used the PG I the following year and it was way better.

People that talk about how they can easily use an HG with big blades for days on end usually don't mention that they replaced the original handle with a power handle like a Shimano LJV. Why did they do that? Because it makes it easier for them to reel in big blades!!!
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)