Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Adding weight to Bucktails

Message Subject: Adding weight to Bucktails
southern comfort
Posted 5/4/2024 1:12 PM (#1028217)
Subject: Adding weight to Bucktails

I am looking to modify some of my Bucktails by adding weight to them. Any tips or experience on options for adding weight to a Bucktail.
OH Musky
Posted 5/4/2024 2:42 PM (#1028221 - in reply to #1028217)
Subject: Re: Adding weight to Bucktails

This is probably "shade tree mechanics" but I attach a tear drop sinker via a split ring to the front hook clevis or ring. Can be added or removed without disassembling the lure. Depending on the size/weight, it can act as a rudder somewhat, controlling spin (of course, bending the shaft at the eyelet does that, too).
mikie
Posted 5/5/2024 3:46 PM (#1028234 - in reply to #1028217)

If you are adding weight to increase drag, try adding a grubtait to the last hook. m
Masqui-ninja
Posted 5/5/2024 7:37 PM (#1028237 - in reply to #1028217)

The very best way is to cut the wire and re-build with weight on a new wire. Beware though, this had led to many of us making our own bucktails.
anderj85
Posted 5/5/2024 8:15 PM (#1028239 - in reply to #1028217)

If you are trying to get them deeper, weighted leaders seem to be more effective.
miket55
Posted 5/5/2024 9:07 PM (#1028240 - in reply to #1028221)

OH Musky - 5/4/2024 3:42 PM

This is probably "shade tree mechanics" but I attach a tear drop sinker via a split ring to the front hook clevis or ring. Can be added or removed without disassembling the lure. Depending on the size/weight, it can act as a rudder somewhat, controlling spin (of course, bending the shaft at the eyelet does that, too).

Don't know what you mean by a teardrop sinker, but I do the same with a bell sinker aka "Bass Casting Sinker".. I wonder if there's a bit more sound produced by the sinker clinking and clanking off the hook and other hardware.. I haven't really paid any attention.
Rudedog
Posted 5/8/2024 5:50 AM (#1028292 - in reply to #1028217)
Subject: RE: Adding weight to Bucktails

I have done for many years exactly as OH Musky stated.
Add a teardrop (bell) sinker to shaft using split ring up by front treble on big bladed tails for easier casting in wind. Has worked well for me with no issues ever noticed.
...and can add or remove easy without changing lures.
chuckski
Posted 5/8/2024 8:39 AM (#1028296 - in reply to #1028217)

As we talked about on this sight people fishing Tigers with smaller lures (I do that too) last year I tried to throw Mepps 4# and 5# with 65 pound braid. (got my first backlash in years for my trouble) I bought some 50# braid to change it out then changed my mind. I dug out a old 7 foot Fenwick glass rod and put a old 1979 Ambassador 5500A and instead of adding weight to the Spinner I made some smaller sized leaders and put a 1/8 oz egg sinker for castability. I also bought some twin bladed Mepps #5 with tinsel so with my new 50# braid and custom leaders I should be in business. Except I'll be casting from shore here in Colorado LOL.
Ogandrews
Posted 5/8/2024 9:04 AM (#1028297 - in reply to #1028217)

I build all of the bucktails I throw and build all of them with split rings behind the skirt to add extra weight, as well as a split ring in the beads for weight/extra hook. If you are adding less than 1 oz you can get away with putting it all in the back, but if you are trying to add a bunch of weight than spread it out front and back. I have some blades I build with 3oz of lead in them and if you spread the weight out they will still run flat. Too much weight in the back can make them run crooked and the blades can stall easier. I have also found that on offset blades adding a sinker up in the beads can increase how much they wobble. When I build say an 8/9 I will usually put 1/4 oz behind the skirt, split ring on top of it, and then another 3/8 oz sinker up in the beads to get the most wobble. This lets me fish it shallow without burning it but I can also add however much weight I want and get whatever depth I want out of it. Build your own blades, it’s fun to me and you can make stuff so much cheaper than store bought and make them just as good once you get the hang of it
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)