Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Xi5 Nav Mode problems

Reply New post
Message Subject: Xi5 Nav Mode problems
Paul S
Posted 8/23/2015 4:53 PM (#781633 - in reply to #778105)
Subject: Re: Xi5 Nav Mode problems

This is great info. A couple questions since this is the motor I plan on getting for next year.
1) Do these problems occur only when using both the remote and pedal while in navigation mode?
2) If you stick to just the remote or just the pedal will you still have the problem? Can you even use the Navigation mode with the pedal only?
3) Is Navigation mode like Minn Kota's Autopilot? Point it and it goes straight or are you talking about following waypoints or mapping contour lines or both?
4) Do all of these motors have this same glitch or has Motorguide fixed the problem.
5) Does this FOB Motorguide send you completely fix the problem?

Thanks for any info.
Captain
Posted 8/24/2015 8:30 AM (#781706 - in reply to #781633)

Paul S - 8/23/2015 4:53 PM

This is great info. A couple questions since this is the motor I plan on getting for next year.
1) Do these problems occur only when using both the remote and pedal while in navigation mode?
2) If you stick to just the remote or just the pedal will you still have the problem? Can you even use the Navigation mode with the pedal only?
3) Is Navigation mode like Minn Kota's Autopilot? Point it and it goes straight or are you talking about following waypoints or mapping contour lines or both?
4) Do all of these motors have this same glitch or has Motorguide fixed the problem.
5) Does this FOB Motorguide send you completely fix the problem?

Thanks for any info.

1) I use my remote exclusively and have never had the issues described here. I did have my remote battery die on a trip and was forced to use the footpedal and again, did not have any issues. It seems to only be an issue if attempting to use both the footpedal and remote.
2) See #1
3) The heading lock in xi5 is not compass based. It is GPS based when you activate it it "splashes" virtual waypoints along that path at a certain interval and then continually adjusts and updates the path as you move along. If you want to navigate to waypoints then you have to get the Gateway Connect and hook the xi5 to your Lowrance Gen 2 (or newer) unit. Currently there isn't a "follow contour" feature, but it does follow routes that you have recorded either on the xi5 itself Or if you have the gateway connect and have routes on your lowrance.
4) what glitch are you referring to? the pedal/remote thing? As far as I know its with all of them, but as long as you don't use both items at the same time you are fine.
5) If there is a fix (which I am not sure there is) the dongle that would come from motorguide would reset your unit. I had an issue when I updated to the Gateway Connect and my xi5 lost some functionality. I contacted Motorguide and the next day I had the dongle, reset my motor and all was well again. They have great customer service!
Paul S
Posted 8/24/2015 9:04 AM (#781711 - in reply to #778105)

Thanks Captain for the question. One last question, on the pedal- I know button on the lower left is the anchor mode. Is the button on the lower right the Navigation Mode or do you need the remote for that? Can you do everything with the remote that you can the pedal?
Captain
Posted 8/24/2015 9:34 AM (#781715 - in reply to #778105)

You cannot do navigation from the pedal. The one on the bottom right is the prop on (continuous).
There are a TON of other features on the remote as well that you cannot do as well. Save route, record route, etc to name a few.
All of these features should be capable through the Gateway connect though. I know it was mentioned previously that you cannot do heading lock on the Gateway, but you can. I have turned mine on from the Lowrance. There are multiple screens that you may need to go through to get it, but its there.
Peltz
Posted 8/26/2015 10:34 AM (#782026 - in reply to #778105)

I bought the Xi5 in April 2015 and have used the remote and foot pedal simultaneously without problems. The only issue I have had is that the remote apparently got water in it and lost some functionality. When I took the cover off there was corrosion on the some of the circuits. I called MG and they sent me a replacement remote. They stated that the remote is made to be used in the rain, but somehow I had water intrusion. Overall I like the Xi5. It is quick, quiet, battery friendly and the anchor lock and heading lock are really good. The paint on the lower unit is not as tough as on the Minn Kota it replaced.
Dirt Esox
Posted 8/27/2015 8:37 PM (#782233 - in reply to #778105)

Received the update fob from Merc, hopefully it fixes the issue. I'll report back after trying foot pedal with heading lock turned on
MuskyTime
Posted 9/1/2015 12:28 PM (#782646 - in reply to #778105)

Thanks for the reply's! I will finally get the boat out this weekend and see if the update has fixed my issue.
Ed
Dirt Esox
Posted 9/7/2015 12:52 PM (#783491 - in reply to #778105)

It fixed mine...the only thing it still does is speed up randomly every couple hours while using speed control along with heading lock. Awesome motor for musky fishing now.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)