Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Picking Next Trip Location?

Message Subject: Picking Next Trip Location?
BNelson
Posted 3/5/2018 1:37 PM (#895074 - in reply to #895043)
Subject: Re: Picking Next Trip Location?

why are they easier to catch on LOTW? I'll go out on a limb and say it's because there are way more fish and way more water to fish.. Eagle is in reality tiny compared to LOTW... Eagle fish see wayyyy more boats/pressure than LOTW fish in general in my opinion... pressured fish are simply harder to catch. how many legit 56"ers have been caught on Eagle the last 10 yrs? 1 resort posted pics of 2 55s and a 56 last year on LOTW .....both are great bodies of water.....some other interesting data. and I know lots of guys don't register fish but this is just a sampling....since 2008 2 biggest fish registered in muskies inc from Eagle were 54". same years, 6 fish from 54.5" to 56" registered from lotw... I wish I had enough time and money to spend 10 days on each every summer and fall...

Edited by BNelson 3/5/2018 2:30 PM
sworrall
Posted 3/5/2018 2:48 PM (#895084 - in reply to #895074)

BNelson - 3/5/2018 1:37 PM

why are they easier to catch on LOTW? I'll go out on a limb and say it's because there are way more fish and way more water to fish.. Eagle is in reality tiny compared to LOTW... Eagle fish see wayyyy more boats/pressure than LOTW fish in general in my opinion... pressured fish are simply harder to catch. how many legit 56"ers have been caught on Eagle the last 10 yrs? 1 resort posted pics of 2 55s and a 56 last year on LOTW .....both are great bodies of water.....some other interesting data. and I know lots of guys don't register fish but this is just a sampling....since 2008 2 biggest fish registered in muskies inc from Eagle were 54". same years, 6 fish from 54.5" to 56" registered from lotw... I wish I had enough time and money to spend 10 days on each every summer and fall... :)

'Eagle fish see wayyyy more boats/pressure than LOTW fish in general in my opinion... pressured fish are simply harder to catch.' ---Depends on which part of LOTW. The Angle is getting pounded. Other areas have been for a decade or more. And it shows. Some areas are not, and that's the key, I think. That too will change as folks pick up on it.

I can attest to the growing numbers in Eagle. I also remember the discussion 5 years back on LOTW from biologists up there as a group of large year classes matures and comes to age as predicted. A good muskie angler can go to either and have a great trip or a bad one. A REALLY good muskie angler would do better...on either lake. I've seen more really big fish on Eagle as of late, but that's limited to a maximum of one trip a year to both, and both trips under a week, which isn't conclusive.
BNelson
Posted 3/5/2018 2:51 PM (#895085 - in reply to #895084)

they already have....
sworrall
Posted 3/5/2018 2:54 PM (#895087 - in reply to #891889)

Inevitable, eh?
BNelson
Posted 3/5/2018 2:56 PM (#895088 - in reply to #895087)

more and more musky fishermen every year, big boats, map chips, and cheap gas the last couple years.. makes a big lake fish a lot smaller than it use to
esoxaddict
Posted 3/5/2018 3:03 PM (#895090 - in reply to #895088)

Our overall average size has gone up on Eagle just about every year since 2006. I thought it was just us getting better at it!
Musky Brian
Posted 3/5/2018 5:48 PM (#895102 - in reply to #895090)

esoxaddict - 3/5/2018 3:03 PM

Our overall average size has gone up on Eagle just about every year since 2006. I thought it was just us getting better at it!

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(49CEF823-9425-4EAF-BAAF-F75F29A80CD5.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 49CEF823-9425-4EAF-BAAF-F75F29A80CD5.png (16KB - 344 downloads)
Pointerpride102
Posted 3/5/2018 8:44 PM (#895128 - in reply to #895090)

esoxaddict - 3/5/2018 3:03 PM

I think what Brian is trying to say is.....

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(IMG_6621.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_6621.JPG (44KB - 296 downloads)
Dan111
Posted 3/12/2018 2:20 PM (#896242 - in reply to #891889)

if you drive about 12 hours east there is a place called georgian bay where everyone catches a 50 incher
Ernie
Posted 3/13/2018 7:47 PM (#896496 - in reply to #891889)

If 50+ is the goal I’d say Eagle. If you want more “numbers” with a shot at a 50+ then LOTW.

How about Rowan on a fly-in? You guys deserve it!
dickP
Posted 3/14/2018 11:14 AM (#897619 - in reply to #891889)

So much water,so little time.Fortunately some of the best waters never get mentioned.
Propster
Posted 3/14/2018 3:14 PM (#897663 - in reply to #897619)

dickP - 3/14/2018 11:14 AM

So much water,so little time.Fortunately some of the best waters never get mentioned.

Do tell Mr P. You may pm me
dtaijo174
Posted 3/14/2018 4:49 PM (#897709 - in reply to #897619)

dickP - 3/14/2018 11:14 AM

Please share!

Edited by dtaijo174 3/14/2018 4:50 PM
dickP
Posted 3/14/2018 5:11 PM (#897715 - in reply to #891889)

Wingra???
Propster
Posted 3/14/2018 5:27 PM (#897723 - in reply to #897715)

dickP - 3/14/2018 5:11 PM

Wingra???

:)

Edited by Propster 3/14/2018 5:28 PM
Fishboy19
Posted 3/15/2018 6:04 PM (#898936 - in reply to #892655)

BNelson - 2/16/2018 10:55 AM

Eagle is tougher than LOTW, but the fish are longer and heavier on average as well.???

I beg to differ. I've watched results from lots of guys going to both lakes for ~10 yrs. I've been going to LOTW since 2011.
While I do think the upper end fish might be longer in Eagle.. with the advent of the 54" size limit from what I've seen the avg size might be a touch better on Lotw now than eagle.. last year my boat had 29 fish with 11 over 48 and 16 over 45... 4 over 50 to 52... while we haven't popped a 54 yet... we have seen enough to know we have our shots... I also see plenty of pics of average to skinny fish from Eagle every year posted on facebook...
both great bodies of water, but guys that think fish are skinny or not long on lotw clearly haven't fished there much, or at all.

I beg to differ. I definitely phrased it wrong, cause I did mean the high end of the spectrum more than anything. Eagle has genetics on its side and history. Its capable of longer fish. Growing a freak! Spotties out east, Minnesota and the great lakes. They can get to the high 50s” regularly.
I can see your a good angler, and don’t take offense. I been going to LOTW since 1992. Lots of 50’s in my group to 53.5” with girth’s to 24” in August. I don’t fish anywhere near Sabaskong or the Angle. Saric televises it for everybody, and they all go and it’s still a great place. Occasional nice one like anywhere else. I started out at Red Wing. You can have all the numbers areas and I’ll never post a fish on Facebook, nor will my guys. The internet is wonderful thing but it’s not everything. My largest are all from LOTW and one 54.5” out east. LOTW is the best Lake overall for catching numbers and low 50’s in the world. Lake of the Muskies, no doubt, and I highly recommend it to all levels of anglers
Maybe you’ve never experienced Eagle in late October casting lures or soaking a sucker. It is a lot smaller and gigantic all at the same time. I’ve seen some giants. Believe what you want, but I firmly believe the Holy Grail lives there, and somebody’s going to get her one day, but maybe they won’t tell, or post it on Facebook. I hope they don’t.
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 3/17/2018 2:34 PM (#899156 - in reply to #891889)

Lake Ouachita for stripers, in lieu of Kinkaid for pre-spawn muskies. Blasphemy, I know.
DonPursch
Posted 3/21/2018 6:27 PM (#899645 - in reply to #896496)

I spent many years on Rowan and fished the others mentioned here and
There is No comparison. And there are very few hunters that fish there on a regular basis. If you fish Rowan one time for 4 days you will never be the same. Why you can’t get your great boat in there, and that’s a big deal I get it, absolutely No pressure on these fish great population of little and well the other level of true giants, and they live there lives there and never see a lure, the negative about Rowan is that there is SO MUCH FOOD great food white fish brown and black suckers lake trout they eat what ever they want when they want. I have seen many incredible fish there hen they spawn
When they follow when they eat like a monster following an bait with the tail of a 8lb
Trouts tail sticking out of its mouth just things like that. I have many encounters with these fish and never really came forth and told the stories because no one would ever believe me, and would say I’m just trying do drum up business. Well I’m not there any more but the lake and the remarkable fishery will Never change. Just sayin Thanks to the ones that have come to really see what’s there. Looking forward to go back and just go FISHING on my own. Every cast is an Expression of Hope !
muskysaloon
Posted 3/21/2018 9:20 PM (#899665 - in reply to #899645)

Had the honor of chatting with you at a fishing show Don. This is why my group fishes trout water, nothing compares in beauty or what lies in the depths.
BNelson
Posted 3/22/2018 2:17 PM (#899726 - in reply to #891889)

Fishboy19 wrote:
"I beg to differ. I definitely phrased it wrong, cause I did mean the high end of the spectrum more than anything. Eagle has genetics on its side and history. Its capable of longer fish. Growing a freak! Spotties out east, Minnesota and the great lakes. They can get to the high 50s” regularly.
I can see your a good angler, and don’t take offense. I been going to LOTW since 1992. Lots of 50’s in my group to 53.5” with girth’s to 24” in August. I don’t fish anywhere near Sabaskong or the Angle. Saric televises it for everybody, and they all go and it’s still a great place. Occasional nice one like anywhere else. I started out at Red Wing. You can have all the numbers areas and I’ll never post a fish on Facebook, nor will my guys. The internet is wonderful thing but it’s not everything. My largest are all from LOTW and one 54.5” out east. LOTW is the best Lake overall for catching numbers and low 50’s in the world. Lake of the Muskies, no doubt, and I highly recommend it to all levels of anglers
Maybe you’ve never experienced Eagle in late October casting lures or soaking a sucker. It is a lot smaller and gigantic all at the same time. I’ve seen some giants. Believe what you want, but I firmly believe the Holy Grail lives there, and somebody’s going to get her one day, but maybe they won’t tell, or post it on Facebook. I hope they don’t.""

I get it Fishboy, I do.. I guess I go by real world results...not what people say they SEE in the water... stats are stats, data is data. Are there or have there been any 56+ caught in the last 10 yrs on Eagle? I have not heard of one. It seems to me that soooo many guys go to Eagle and say they have seen 56+ inchers. Most of those seeing these mythical beasts haven't put a 52 in the boat but yet can tell everyone they see 56+ fish. Muskies are dumb, let's be honest, if they are there shouldn't they be caught once in a while? I have been on Eagle, we saw big fish no doubt, maybe there were more there 20 or 30 yrs ago? I can say we have had shots at 54-55 inch fish each year on lotw...that's just 2 guys, 1 week. Do I think Eagle is a great lake, yes. I just sort of have to chuckle at soooo many seeing 56+ inchers but yet we never hear of one caught... they aren't really that smart....lots of the guides and resort owners are the ones that seem to feed the lore of the lake, they have a vested interest... Those same resort pages on FB would definitely promote a 56 incher caught wouldn't they?? Just like the Resort page on LOTW that posted those 3 fish over 55"just last year alone! I do hope you catch the holy grail on Eagle some day.. and I hope you share the pic with the musky world...
I'm sure there are some crazy big ones in both lakes....it's fun to have choices..

Edited by BNelson 3/22/2018 2:26 PM
Musky Brian
Posted 3/23/2018 9:38 AM (#899804 - in reply to #891889)

I’ve always felt that Lac Seul is the crown jewel of Canada in terms of world record potential,or for simplicity, 55+ caliber fish. I have certainly seen the most photos of fish in that caliber coming from there, and I also know that it gets probably quite a bit few less anglers per season versus a few others due to the remoteness and lack of camps in the NE corner. While I fully understand many people don’t register fish, MI data for those that do suggests Lac Seul is kicking out the most of that size without even considering the fact that is with a smaller group of anglers. Quite a few big guns on record who agree. If you have ever had a chance to get up there, it’s a pretty special place. Truly feels like you could find a giant that has never seen a bait...just talking about it has me dying to go back someday.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)