Please register or Login
MuskieFIRST | WalleyeFIRST | SalmonFIRST | IceFishing | WhitetailFIRST | BassFIRST | OutdoorsFIRST Upload

Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: sworrall, Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Biology -> Late fall fatties

Message Subject: Late fall fatties
Will Schultz
Posted 12/8/2017 1:45 PM (#886408 - in reply to #884888)
Subject: Re: Late fall fatties

tcbetka - 11/22/2017 12:32 PM

So this tells me that while the fish's overall metabolism is likely diminished in the fall due to falling water temperatures, the rate of digestion likely isn't.

Could they be crapping all over your boat because the rate of digestion had slowed so much that they're eating beyond their digestive rate? Late fall muskie poop is very different from summer muskie poop and appears to be less digested (more scales, bones, etc).
tcbetka
Posted 12/10/2017 3:21 PM (#886570 - in reply to #886408)
Subject: Re: Late fall fatties

I suppose it's possible, but generally speaking the gastrocolic reflex dictates...in with the new, out with the old. So that means that if there's food in the stomach, there's poop in the bowel--and it's heading for the great outdoors. That said, the fish aren't always pooping *voluntarily* mind you. Some of it is pressure from angling and some of it is certainly from their autonomic nervous system stimulus, related to the catch.

The other thing is that I really don't know how any animal is going to out-eat their rate of digestion. They would be satiated to the point of not wanting to eat any longer, simply because (I'd think) they wouldn't be able to physically get any more food into their stomach. Then again my dog seems to ALWAYS want to eat, even when she's just eaten. But I think that's more of a psychological thing--as you saw that night we were eating pizza while watching the football game.

So I tend to think that although the fish may indeed have a somewhat slowed rate of metabolism, it isn't nearly as significant as we might think. Don't forget that we anglers tend to think of warm water temperatures in the summer because the surface temperatures exceed 70 degrees. But in all reality the fish are going to seek out water temperatures most desirable to them...which means finding deeper/cooler water. Therefore the temperature drop between summer and fall months, in terms of its significance on their metabolic rate, really doesn't seem as significant as we like to make it out to be.

At least that's my thinking anyway.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)