Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> places to visit.

Message Subject: places to visit.
chuckski
Posted 5/7/2024 9:15 AM (#1028267)
Subject: places to visit.

When up north any old museums, baitshops, bars, restaurants ,resorts, and landmarks? What do you like to see?
jasonvkop
Posted 5/7/2024 10:17 AM (#1028268 - in reply to #1028267)
Subject: Re: places to visit.

'Up north' where? Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, etc?
North of 8
Posted 5/7/2024 10:28 AM (#1028269 - in reply to #1028268)

If in Rhinelander area, the historical society has some neat places at Hodag park. Replica of logging camp, a historical one room school house, a CCC camp building, a sawmill, railroad station, a building with classic outboards dating back decades. If history is of interest, it is a great place. The logging camp started it back in the 50s.
Also has some old machinery, like a train like steam engine with skis, that pulled log sleds. Hi Wheel device for pulling large logs, restored steam engine.
Ranger
Posted 5/7/2024 10:38 AM (#1028270 - in reply to #1028267)

Guntzviller's Spirit of the Woods Museum
11060 S. US-31
Williamsburg, MI 49690

Free admission, this place is a private museum near Traverse City MI. Two long generations of a family that collected all sorts of old cool stuff. Amazing collections of antique fishing and hunting gear, Native American artifacts and taxidermy. They sell a lot of very cool stuff, including a big selection of Minnetonka Moccasins.

The owner Voss knows his fishing, too. Terrific to talk with, and his wife is a charm.
Guzzler
Posted 5/7/2024 12:38 PM (#1028275 - in reply to #1028267)

We almost always go to Rollie and Helens every time we are up in Vilas Co. And some of the old taverns have some fabulous food. P.I. Pub, Sayner Pub, and Spangs has terrific pizza. Boulder Beer Bar had good all-around food and homemade appetizers but Iam unsure what they have now. Lots of really good restaurant choices too - Marty's and Blink Bonny's has always been good to us! We used to stay at Skyview Lodge/Supper Club but it is no longer open. That is too bad because it was an icon. We go to bent's camp every couple of years and enjoy the 60" replica muskie mount there. Sometimes life is about the beer as well. Too many choices to mention there! I always enjoy Vilas Co!
VMS
Posted 5/7/2024 12:48 PM (#1028276 - in reply to #1028267)

If in Longville, MN

Frosty's ice cream. Just don't go on Wednesdays between Memorial Day and Labor day. Turtles everywhere!!

If you want to shop a little, the shops of Walker (Reeds sports) are nice to walk through once in a while. Or...if you get ambitious and want to go a little further south... Nisswa. Nisswa is maybe a bit more spendy, but still a nice respite if you are into those kinds of things.

Oh..and if in that area...a trip to Itasca state park is a nice day trip. Climb the Fire tower, explore the trails, make the traditional walk across the mouth of the Mississippi River....

Bring the bicycles and enjoy the old railroad beds from Hackensack to Walker, and Walker to Park Rapids... Lots to do if you want multiple recreational activities.
esoxaddict
Posted 5/7/2024 5:55 PM (#1028287 - in reply to #1028276)

I'm embarrassed to admit it, but aside from the local eateries and beverage establishments we do not do any toursty things, which is probably why my wife hates fishing trips. There's a bunch of places I'd love to visit, you know - like a real vacation. But when it comes to choosing whether to fish of do anything else, I always just fish. And at the end of a trip when we had 4 fishless days out of 7 I think: "#*#*, we could have gone here or there or there or there..."
7.62xJay
Posted 5/7/2024 7:07 PM (#1028288 - in reply to #1028267)

Never taken a fishing vacation yet. I would love to explore a local areas tavern in the pm on a weekend when the 3am alarm sounds in the morning to get up and drive and hammer new water. But I cannot bring myself to leave my boat loaded with gear just sitting in a parking lot.
I'm not much for museums and the like, but if I ever have time id like to hit the UW Madison Geology museum one day.
Clark A
Posted 5/7/2024 9:09 PM (#1028290 - in reply to #1028267)

Prince of Wales Northern Heritage Centre in Yellowknife, NT. A bit south is the Mepps Factory in Antigo, WI..
miket55
Posted 5/8/2024 8:23 AM (#1028295 - in reply to #1028290)

Clark A - 5/7/2024 10:09 PM

A bit south is the Mepps Factory in Antigo, WI..

A bit south indeed.... let's not forget the Suick facility just a few miles northeast of Antigo..

Edited by miket55 5/8/2024 8:26 AM
R/T
Posted 5/8/2024 9:37 AM (#1028301 - in reply to #1028267)

Spent a day last summer taking the ladies to the Apostle Islands. Took a boat tour out of Bayfield. My role was chauffeur but I did enjoy listening to the history given by the tour guide on the boat. Did not have time to check out much of the town given the length of the tour but did have lunch on the deck at the Bayfield Inn. Recommend.
chuckski
Posted 5/8/2024 10:46 AM (#1028305 - in reply to #1028267)

Inspired by a old post last year talking of the old days and a trip I took 30 years ago. I love to fish but also love to eat and see places and history and the greatest sport of all people watching.
I have book I bought back in 1992 The Best Of The NorthWood's Wisconsin and all have four books on Wisconsin Supper Clubs and a book Bottoms Up about Wisconsin Bars and Breweries.
Born in 1960 I was the last of the legal 18 year old drinkers so I remember going to resorts to drink but the best was in the early 1980's and going to the famous Mint Bar in Eagle River and also getting to go to Barefoot Charlie's on HWY 45 by Land O' Lakes. The Mint closed down in early 80's and Charlie's burnt down around the same time.
I also took a couple trips to Hayward from Eagle River (1983ish) to see the Fishing Hall Of Fame and the Moccasin Bar.
I've been to Walker MN. in the late 1990's and Reed's is a great place to shop.
I love Sammy's Pizza been to both Grand Rapids and Cloquet and every time I've been to Cloquet Gordy's High Hat has been closed for the season in the fall. We have eaten at the Rhinelander Pub for forever and made trips down to the Cookery in Sugar Camp when Grandma lived in Eagle River. As a teenager we would go to Church at St. Peter's The Fishermans Perish in Eagle River and then out to Hardee's. Hardee's sat out in the parking lot of Mckeever's where Trig's is now. St. Peter's was taken down because it could now made proper Wheel Chair access. Besides going to Hardee's we would only eat out twice a summer, once to Eliason's "some place else" and "The White Stag".
A couple times in the 80's we went to Sunday Brunch at the Oneida Village Inn in Three Lakes kinda off the beaten path.
Of all the time I spent in Eagle River I do not eat there. The mint Bar had great hamburgers or we would go eat at Honey Bear for fish fry or go breakfast at the little kittyy Flaire by St. Germain or up to Sayner to the Sayner Pub for pizza.
Blink Bonnies has the Wait from hell, (except if you go during a Tornado watch) Whitetail Inn is so, so and we all been to Paul Bunyan's in Minocqua. in the early 90's I got sunburnt took the day off from fishing left Grandma's in Eagle River and took a drive all over the place. I stopped for lunch at the Sayner Pub then went to Pat's bait shop on Plum Lake and the public pier on Plum Lake then off the boat landing on North Twin (and I kick myself for not stopping at the Holiday Lodge) with has since burnt down then up to Land O' lakes to see the Ott Hybrid and up to Bond Fall on the U. P. then back home
Been to R&H since the early 90's. I could go on forever.

chuckski
Posted 5/9/2024 8:26 AM (#1028323 - in reply to #1028267)

We share our memories and it preserves the past but there are way more places to go and see. Thanks for the suggestions!
ThedockisIN
Posted 5/9/2024 2:00 PM (#1028335 - in reply to #1028267)

When I was 10 years old (62 years ago) we fished Lower South Long Lake near Brainerd. There was a small grocery with a talking parrot. I went there every day just to teach the parrot some swear words. Way more interesting than Paul Bunyan in Brainerd, although Bunyan said Hi.

Greg Ide
Ciscokid82
Posted 5/12/2024 6:56 AM (#1028377 - in reply to #1028267)

Chuck
No need to ask a question. Just tell your stories because clearly you want to!
chuckski
Posted 5/12/2024 7:39 AM (#1028378 - in reply to #1028267)

When you get older you will understand all the memories that make life great and looking for the next generation of newer places or place we don't know about. Yes it's fun to tell stories and the hear story's too!
Ciscokid82
Posted 5/12/2024 8:46 AM (#1028380 - in reply to #1028267)

I have memories, thanks!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)