Please register or Login
MuskieFIRST | WalleyeFIRST | SalmonFIRST | IceFishing | WhitetailFIRST | BassFIRST | OutdoorsFIRST Upload
Piscifun

Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 4 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Why Have Millenials Rejected Hunting and Fishing??

Message Subject: Why Have Millenials Rejected Hunting and Fishing??
Smell_Esox
Posted 1/16/2018 1:27 PM (#889885 - in reply to #889543)
Subject: Re: Why Have Millenials Rejected Hunting and Fishing??

Millennial sportsmen and women give me hope. They appear to be less interested in harvesting and more knowledgeable about conservation. I think baby boomers (which I am at the tail end of) are split. You have those that pushed the conservation and catch and release ethic, but you also had a high percentage of boomers that were extremely harvest oriented. I think those that do participate in hunting and fishing will be a far more conservation minded participant. I just hope that enough of them participate so that our game and fish habitats can be sustained.
Top H2O
Posted 1/17/2018 9:42 AM (#889917 - in reply to #889878)
Subject: RE: Why Have Millenials Rejected Hunting and Fishing??

musky-skunk - 1/16/2018 10:34 AM

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170315005391/en/Camping-U.S...
https://e360.yale.edu/features/greenlock-a-visitor-crush-is-overwhel...

Just another quick thought... look at the rough age of the people in the two pictures in the second article and you will see a ton of Millennials doing challenging things outdoors. They show the half dome hike; 16 miles round trip and the narrows hike; 10 miles round trip. Hiking, camping, climbing/mountaineering, trail running, mountain biking, kayaking/paddle boarding, slack lining, scuba diving/snorkeling, skydiving, nature photography and many more are growing at impressive (or alarming) rates. National Parks are being overwhelmed and retail stores that specialize in outdoor activities are seeing record sales and growth. On my adventures I can say that people under the age of 40 are the majority. Though when someone over 50 is on the trail young people often gravitate towards them and the conversations are very fun and encouraging. I think we need to promote hunting and fishing with youth and make some sacrifices to mentor more. Unlike them we have the boats, the tackle, the hunting ground etc., we need to make the time as well. The idea however that young people are not desiring the outdoors and that connection with nature is false.

Agree with this. Adventure Sporting is growing like crazy. My seven Kids also like fishing and hunting when they can. It seems to me that when they turned 20 or so, they found other outdoor things to do instead of the video games .
Us "Older" folks need to give the younger people more opportunities to get out in the woods and out on the Lake.
Ranger
Posted 1/18/2018 1:38 AM (#889965 - in reply to #889543)

The original poster is a whining crybaby who believes a bunch of BS about a group of people who are not like him. Up yer butt buddy, let other folks decide their own values and behavior.
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 1/18/2018 2:38 AM (#889966 - in reply to #889884)

DRPEPIN - 1/16/2018 1:00 PM

I think what we are all missing is the fact that the younger generations are not getting involved with the clubs and organizations that shape the future of fishing and hunting.

Maybe they have heard complaints from the old-timers that run said clubs?
ToddM
Posted 1/18/2018 5:36 AM (#889967 - in reply to #889965)

Ranger - 1/18/2018 1:38 AM

The original poster is a whining crybaby who believes a bunch of BS about a group of people who are not like him. Up yer butt buddy, let other folks decide their own values and behavior.

How did you know he has a butt buddy?
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 4 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Lake of the Woods TourismThe Tuffy X-170

(Delete all cookies set by this site)