Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> best way to take photos of a fish when you fish alone

Message Subject: best way to take photos of a fish when you fish alone
moondog
Posted 11/18/2015 2:50 PM (#793044)
Subject: best way to take photos of a fish when you fish alone

What have you guys found to work best to take a photo of a fish you have caught when you are fishing alone? what kind of camera are you using for quality photos? Do you use a tripod set up in the boat or is there a better way to hold the camera? I just want to hear what other people are using for this.
Flambeauski
Posted 11/18/2015 3:08 PM (#793047 - in reply to #793044)
Subject: Re: best way to take photos of a fish when you fish alone

I have a Canon, set to auto and timer, place it on the bow.
The most important thing is to practice before the season starts. Take some practice photos of yourself holding a tape measure. You'll see from the practice photos where to do your pose, how to hold the fish, etc.
And lots of practice will help when you catch a nice one and the adrenaline is going, so you don't screw around with the timer longer than you need to.
EsoxAddiction
Posted 11/18/2015 3:13 PM (#793048 - in reply to #793044)

While they are not the best quality, I use my phone (galaxy S5) setup with reverse camera and voice activation. I can see myself and the fish and just say "capture" and i can easily take pics. I have a small tripod with adjustable height and flexible legs to put it where i want.
14ledo81
Posted 11/18/2015 3:24 PM (#793051 - in reply to #793044)

I use my smart phone with an app called "timer camera". I attached some stiff rubber arm things (hard to explain) to an old golf shaft for my stand. The shaft goes in one of the pedstal holes.

Typically I put the phone on video mode, take the fish out of the net, measure it, show it to the camera, and then put it back in the net. Total time out of water to do this is usually around 10-15 seconds. I let the fish rest for a bit in the net while I change the phone to timer camera mode. I have it set for 10 pics with a 2 second pause in between. Then the fish goes back in.

I get some video of the fish (which I can pull stills from), and ten pics, while keeping the fish out of the water for a total of 30-40 seconds.
muskyman1122
Posted 11/18/2015 3:38 PM (#793054 - in reply to #793051)

I use a gopro with a yolo tech mount.. you can take a video and screen shot or take regular photos.
missourimuskyhunter
Posted 11/18/2015 4:18 PM (#793064 - in reply to #793044)
Subject: RE: best way to take photos of a fish when you fish alone

I use a waterproof camera on tripod setup on a certain part of the boat everytime and is already to go waiting in a compartment. Practice shots before you actually do it saves time and only has the fish in the net for a short period and about 20 seconds out of the water
allegheny river kid
Posted 11/18/2015 4:49 PM (#793072 - in reply to #793064)

I have a small video camera on a tripod in one boat and on a suction cup mount to the windshiled
in another boat. I upload the video to the computer and then pull photos off the video. At some point in every video you can pull a few good photos. I use a cheaper Kodak video camera the size of a cellphone and it works very well for me.
Toporanger
Posted 11/18/2015 5:15 PM (#793083 - in reply to #793044)

I fish alone 90% of the time, I just lie. Takes up less space and hassle.
JKahler
Posted 11/19/2015 12:36 AM (#793135 - in reply to #793044)

I take screen shots from gopro video, or just a picture of the fish in the net. Used to use a camera with a timer, but don't care if I have pics of myself with the fish that much. I did get my biggest alone in the dark this year, and some terrible pictures of it on the bump board and in the water. Ha! It happens.
169sportsman
Posted 11/19/2015 12:45 AM (#793136 - in reply to #793044)

I just set my phone on the dash or something and set it to video with the screen towards me. Can take screen shots from video if needed. My pic to the left was taken this way.
tbaatz
Posted 11/19/2015 8:15 AM (#793148 - in reply to #793044)

I use a window mount spotting scope base left over from my western hunting days. Simple device designed to clamp on a truck window and thread on to anything with a universal base. Just google "Spotting scope window mount" and you'll find multiple options. Simple, cheap and versatile. I've had a number of people see it on my counsel windshield and ask where they could get one. If your a tiller driver you can use plywood or whatever else you may have to clamp on a gunwale mount the base and camera and away you go.

WiscoMusky
Posted 11/19/2015 12:54 PM (#793207 - in reply to #793044)

I agree with 169sportsman, very simple solution that I have used as well
Shoot2Kill
Posted 11/19/2015 6:37 PM (#793244 - in reply to #793044)

I attach a length of rope to my net handle just long enough to clip it to the other side of the boat so you can net the fish then clip the handle in so the net doesnt fall in. You then have time to gather yourself and camera equipment while letting the fish rest a bit in the net while you get ready for the pics. Best piece of advice I ever received for fishing solo.
jasonvkop
Posted 11/19/2015 7:02 PM (#793246 - in reply to #793044)

I use a simple digital camera on a flexible tripod and attach the tripod to my steering wheel. Then I put the 10 second timer on, grab the fish, start the timer, and take the picture.
I believe some of the newer cell phones have face-forward cameras which can be voice activated. This will ensure the picture is to your liking and in focus before you take the picture.
Here are a couple solo pictures from this year.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(419Ae393yxL._SY300_.jpg)

(DSC00364.JPG)

(DSC00362.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 419Ae393yxL._SY300_.jpg (11KB - 324 downloads)
Attachments DSC00364.JPG (111KB - 333 downloads)
Attachments DSC00362.JPG (145KB - 302 downloads)
bpswing
Posted 11/21/2015 10:08 AM (#793468 - in reply to #793044)

I got a separate pedestal for the bow and inserted the part of the tripod with the screw on it to hold the camera. I use a Panasonic camera with a 10 second self timer. It has worked excellent and the quality is much better than a phone camera.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)