Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Muskie Expo

Message Subject: Muskie Expo
14ledo81
Posted 2/1/2015 7:08 PM (#751420)
Subject: Muskie Expo

Looking for some opinions here. I have nrver been to a muskie expo. I live about 3 hours from Wausau. Wondering if it is worth the drive.

If I do wind up going, is there anything "can't miss" I should know about?
Pepper
Posted 2/1/2015 7:30 PM (#751421 - in reply to #751420)
Subject: Re: Muskie Expo

Been driving 4 hours to the Mn Muskie show for ten years or more. Enjoy seeing all then new stuff and different stuff. Is it worth it. I would save a lot of $$ if I stayed home but I will likely go again this year
upnortdave
Posted 2/1/2015 7:35 PM (#751422 - in reply to #751421)

Its fun to go n talk musky n look at all the shiney stuff. Especially after a long cold winter nort of highway 8. Gets you fired up for open water. Wausau show only one I go to. Closes to home. Good show. Lots of venders n seminar speaker.
Musky Brian
Posted 2/1/2015 7:55 PM (#751424 - in reply to #751422)

never been to Wausau...but since you said you were asking for opinions...do I think a 3 hour drive is worth it to look at Musky tackle you can buy online or get anytime, and see a bunch of guys wearing nametags and jerseys? Not to me....
Sidejack
Posted 2/1/2015 10:09 PM (#751446 - in reply to #751420)

Made the trek last year and can't wait to make it again this year.
Lotsa great folks, custom/one of a kind baits, and killer deals to be had.
Self medicating beforehand makes it even more enjoyable.
sworrall
Posted 2/1/2015 11:18 PM (#751456 - in reply to #751420)

The Wausau show is well worth attending. Different vendors attend that show, great speaker line up, and a great facility. Good folks run it, too.
Top H2O
Posted 2/1/2015 11:40 PM (#751460 - in reply to #751424)

Musky Brian - 2/1/2015 7:55 PM

never been to Wausau...but since you said you were asking for opinions...do I think a 3 hour drive is worth it to look at Musky tackle you can buy online or get anytime, and see a bunch of guys wearing nametags and jerseys? Not to me....

Brian, sorry but I'm sorta Old school.... I enjoy interaction with Humans..... Thus Driving 3-4 hrs to a Muskie show and getting a room for one night is a way to get away from the LONGGG winter and Cabin Fever....Did I mention interacting with other Humans and Friends and making NEW friends..... Priceless .
If you can go to any kind of Show in the middle of the Freaking Winter, it will Boost your Moral.... Just saying.

Jerome
Cedar
Posted 2/2/2015 1:17 AM (#751462 - in reply to #751420)
Subject: RE: Muskie Expo

14ledo81
I live about 40 mi E of you, and this will be my 3rd time attending. It's a good show, and worth the drive in my opinion. If you get there early, you'll have plenty of time to cover everything at the show and hit a seminar or 2. Saturday gives you the most time, but had to go on Sunday last year, and still had enough time to cover everything I wanted. The drive back usually goes pretty quick with all of the stuff from the show going thru your head.

Not really any "can't miss" things unless you're looking for something specific, or there's a seminar that you "have to" go to.

It's a good escape from Winter.

Edited by Cedar 2/2/2015 1:19 AM
JKahler
Posted 2/2/2015 1:21 AM (#751464 - in reply to #751420)

I've driven there from Superior a few times, it's a good show.
14ledo81
Posted 2/2/2015 6:05 AM (#751473 - in reply to #751420)

Thanks for all the input. I had been thinking to try to go. Now my thoughts are confirmed.
happy hooker
Posted 2/2/2015 10:09 AM (#751508 - in reply to #751473)

Really,really consider a Saturday over nite,,this is the REAL enjoyment of the shows. Stay sati nite at one of the designated show hotels you get a discounted show special rate and rooms in Wausau are cheap anyways. Get to show early Sat spend all day then go attend the swapmeet and party get together afterwards then go back to the designated show hotel and party hangout in lobby with the musky guys staying there. Get a good nights sleep after on your feet all day and attending seminars that you enjoyed even more because you didn't have to think about the drive home. Wake up in mourning go down to the lobby breakfast room and have breakfast with a room full of musky people. Been to the Waseau show every year we drive over from Minneapolis this is a FUN show you see some different vendors bait makers from that part of state. Also of all the musky shows I go to this one I spend a lot of time in seminars because these are guys you don't hear too often or ever, young or different with some new ideas/slants. Definitely attend this show and I recommend an over nite.

Edited by happy hooker 2/2/2015 10:12 AM
Abu7000
Posted 2/2/2015 10:42 AM (#751515 - in reply to #751420)
Subject: RE: Muskie Expo

If you are willing to drive 3 hours, consider the show in the Twin Cities. It is much bigger, and has more seminars. It is a step up from what Wausaw has to offer (IMO). The drive is less than 30 minutes longer. A night at one of the show hotels is fun.
muskyhunter63
Posted 2/2/2015 10:58 AM (#751519 - in reply to #751508)

The Wausau show is the only one I will attend this year.
I live in southwest WI. and have gone to this show since it's inception.
My friend Rich organizes the show and I enjoy seeing him and the lineup
of speakers he has. This is the only show I have been able to sit and hear
Tont Rizzo speak! I enjoy that.
This show also has many vendors/lure makers that you don't normally see at other shows.
With gas prices what they are these days, a 3 hour trip up to Wausau is no problem for me after sitting around all winter thinking about musky fishing. At the Wausau show, I can talk fishing all day, see the latest lures and catch some seminars that you will not get at the other shows.
Ken
Flambeauski
Posted 2/2/2015 11:12 AM (#751525 - in reply to #751420)

It's a good show.
If you've never been to a show I suggest going, especially since this is the closest.
Last couple years Rollie and Helen's had a storewide sale the same weekend, if they do that again you'll save money by stopping there on the way to or from the show.
14ledo81
Posted 2/2/2015 11:21 AM (#751528 - in reply to #751525)

Flambeauski - 2/2/2015 11:12 AM

It's a good show.
If you've never been to a show I suggest going, especially since this is the closest.
Last couple years Rollie and Helen's had a storewide sale the same weekend, if they do that again you'll save money by stopping there on the way to or from the show.

Good call on stopping at R&H's.
semper esox
Posted 2/3/2015 8:15 PM (#751792 - in reply to #751528)

Wausau show is excellent and they even have a beer girl
esox911
Posted 2/4/2015 6:47 AM (#751833 - in reply to #751792)

Is it worth the drive just to buy a lure or 2--probably not--that can easily be done at home or much closer to home... But its a great show--I have attended it once--and also attended others. I have driven up to 2 hrs to go to a show and found the complete experience to be worth it---Makes for a Fun day---Would be a long day for you---But get up early--take a nice drive---And most likely you will be glad you did.
DJs Lures
Posted 2/7/2015 9:10 PM (#752471 - in reply to #751792)

semper esox - 2/3/2015 8:15 PM

Wausau show is excellent and they even have a beer girl

I can't believe you would leave out this type of info when telling me about the show!!!!!
Team Rhino
Posted 2/7/2015 9:17 PM (#752472 - in reply to #752471)

The Wisconsin show in Wausau is a great expo. Different from the rest and really great facility. Always a different lineup of speakers also. Team Rhino Outdoors is excited to have a booth there this year. Hope to have a few new customs we won't for Milwaukee this weekend.
Fin-Addict
Posted 2/8/2015 12:17 PM (#752541 - in reply to #751420)

Just thinking about some of the response above; makes me wonder. MUSKY EXPOS are a celebration! You can buy a bait... you can buy beer. .. you can buy tackle ALMOST ANYWHERE! What you can't do just ANYWHERE is meet the folks that actual build your favorite lures; ask them... face -to-face... the why, when, how. The custom lure painters, Outfitters, Guides, Resort and vacation packages WITH the folks that operate them.All around you, from before you hit the turnstiles until finally pulling yourself away... FELLOW MUSKY ANGLERS! ALL MUSKY ALL THE TIME. Opting to layover and hit both swap and Vendors activities gives you an unparalleled opportunity to speak with and mingle with some of the best known names in the business in a relaxed and informal setting that is a Networking Dream Event!
Just as some anglers seem only to concern themselves with the numbers... How Big: How Many... Other, more enlightened, members of the Musky Community relish the lifestyle, fraternity and periphery beauty that is weaved throughout the fabric of our reverent life's journey for this elusive and awe inspiring "Monarch of Freshwater"...
Wanna know what you don't know. .. You gotta go! A celebration and soooo much more.
MUSKY CLAN
HoosierDaddyOutdoors

Edited by Fin-Addict 2/8/2015 12:19 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)