Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Outboard cut out of WOT

Reply New post
Message Subject: Outboard cut out of WOT
tolle141
Posted 8/7/2015 1:54 PM (#779539)
Subject: Outboard cut out of WOT

Hi Team,

First time this has happened to me, so I'm a bit nervous. Was running across the lake WOT and suddenly the engine cut out. Pumped the fuel line pump and it pumped really easily. No problems on the way back to the dock ~1/2 mile. Another observation I've had is that it typically runs 44mph, but this summer has been in the 41-42 range.

Millions of questions running through my head, so hoping you guys might be able to answer some of them:

Hand pump on fuel line - how stiff should this be? Seemed a lot easier to pump than it normally is. Back to normal stiffness now. It often sits almost horizontal which I've heard is bad (Due to placement in crestliner fish hawk)

Stabilizing gas - I start doing this very heavily in the september (1.5 to 2x strength). Doesn't run until late-April and often I don't burn all of it up until mid-July (though I do add fresh gas during the summer months to dilute the old stuff. Do you anticipate any problems here?

Any other thoughts?
Thanks!

2004 Honda 135 Four Stroke
tolle141
Posted 8/7/2015 2:02 PM (#779540 - in reply to #779539)
Subject: Re: Outboard cut out of WOT

I'll add that I run seafoam through it all season.
Shep
Posted 8/7/2015 2:28 PM (#779544 - in reply to #779540)
Subject: Re: Outboard cut out of WOT

No reason to run more than the recommended amount of Stabil. But even the amount you use shouldn't cause that problem.

I'd say the primer bulb check valve is suspect, or perhaps the fuel filter need to be replaced.

Typical in hot air temps to lose some MPH.

Edited by Shep 8/7/2015 2:30 PM
debygd
Posted 8/12/2015 11:52 AM (#780079 - in reply to #779539)
Subject: RE: Outboard cut out of WOT

I'm currently dealing with the same issue, but mine is on a new boat. It actually seems like you've run out of gas. The outboard dealer has tested the engine. While they initially thought it was a bad lift/fuel pump, they determined it is a "fuel delivery" issue and suspects a partially restricted fuel line. They ran it with a clear fuel line and identified a consistent flow of bubbles. Apparently the restriction is only bad enough to affect performance at WOT. I'm told it could be an air leak (possibly from the check valve) as well. Was there any work done that may have pinched or kinked a fuel line?
Shep
Posted 8/12/2015 11:57 AM (#780080 - in reply to #780079)
Subject: RE: Outboard cut out of WOT

Bubbles suggest an air leak.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)