Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Panfish profile baits

Message Subject: Panfish profile baits
mm3
Posted 11/22/2014 2:08 PM (#741227)
Subject: Panfish profile baits

I mostly use lures that have long narrow minnow type profiles like perch and suckers. I have more confidence in them because I believe it matches the food source on most of the lakes I fish. I also use some Cisco and Shad type profiles on some of the other lakes I fish as well. However, I rarely use panfish (bluegill, crappie etc.) type profile baits and I only have a few. Do any of you guys use panfish profile lures and do you do well with them? Will you throw them on any lake at any time or certain lakes/certain times.
FISHFINDER101
Posted 11/25/2014 3:36 PM (#741665 - in reply to #741227)
Subject: Re: Panfish profile baits

Check out some of the muskie kombat lures, like the sidewinders. I also have limited time using lures like this, but plan on trying a few out next season. I'm sure just like a lot of other lure types, some will work better on different lakes and different times of the year though. I usually tend to stick with around 5-10 baits on a regular basis because i have found a time and place for them. I also like to try out new things and have been eyeing up these all year.
ToddM
Posted 11/25/2014 9:44 PM (#741702 - in reply to #741227)

Look at Ben Modica's modivator glide baits. Good stuff. H2o tackle nitros in all versions as well as the cranky x.
Ray Fuller
Posted 11/26/2014 1:53 AM (#741713 - in reply to #741227)

Checkout a Crane 105,its one of my favorite baits.
mm3
Posted 11/26/2014 8:54 AM (#741724 - in reply to #741227)
Subject: RE: Panfish profile baits

Thanks for the input. Yes the Crane 105 is one of the panfish profile baits I always wondered about. I was really looking for input as to whether these panfish profile baits work as well as narrow profile or shad profile baits. The question really arises from what I've read regarding their preferred forage (see quote below, but this is just one of many).

"Muskie have a tendency to eat fusiform fish, long and slender, unlike game fish species such as crappie and sunfish." From EDUCATING NON-MUSKIE ANGLERS - By: Colby Simms.

If I was to guess (and this is just a swag), I would say maybe 80% of all muskie lures are the long and slender, 15% shad profile, and < 5% panfish profile. This is just throwing this out there for the sake of discussion and to point out that there must be a reason/results for this.
clintv11
Posted 11/26/2014 4:00 PM (#741793 - in reply to #741227)
Subject: RE: Panfish profile baits

Try a Rove. It is a good size for imitating pan fish and great action for twitchin and gliding through schools of bait
buckner
Posted 11/26/2014 5:58 PM (#741806 - in reply to #741227)

Myers gill crank or big chimney baits make a great bait he calls a slab
Trophyseeker50
Posted 11/29/2014 8:23 AM (#742055 - in reply to #741227)

My favorite are crane 305s. I have caught many fish on those baits over the years including a couple of 4 footers.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.jpg (42KB - 400 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)