Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Boat landing in snow

Message Subject: Boat landing in snow
fish4musky1
Posted 11/11/2014 6:22 AM (#739514)
Subject: Boat landing in snow

Looking to get out today but we are getting pounded with snow in N WI. I have never launched in heavy snow like this... any tips or things I should know?

jrjr23
Posted 11/11/2014 7:00 AM (#739515 - in reply to #739514)
Subject: RE: Boat landing in snow

Kitty litter.......the fisherman's friend when trying to get the boat back up a slick launch. I'd recommend 1-2 bags in the truck just in case it gets so slick you cannot get the boat and trailer up the ramp after loading. Just spread it in front of your tires when you're trying to pull the boat out of the water. Also, to ensure the launch doesn't get extra slick, as you put the boat in the water, bring the trailer up to the water's edge and allow the water to run off the trailer instead of yanking it up the ramp. That way, the next guy(s) do not have to deal with the slick runoff from your trailer.
douglaswood34
Posted 11/15/2014 2:21 PM (#740211 - in reply to #739514)
Subject: Re: Boat landing in snow

Chains if you have an ice base under snow.
ToddM
Posted 11/15/2014 2:32 PM (#740213 - in reply to #739514)

In addition to the good advice above shovel the ramp then salt it after you launch the boat.
Ranger
Posted 12/5/2014 9:08 PM (#742888 - in reply to #739514)

I use hip waders to take my boat out all year and carry a shovel in the truck all winter. So its easy for me to throw sand and gravel from the lake bottom onto the concrete ramp at take out.

Very important to be prepared if you are the last boat out because the boats before you can leave the ramp covered in ice, especially after dark, and no one is there to tow your stuck truck and boat up the icy ramp.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)