Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Good fishing charter near Sarasota fl

Message Subject: Good fishing charter near Sarasota fl
Trophyseeker50
Posted 11/30/2014 8:11 PM (#742221)
Subject: Good fishing charter near Sarasota fl

My parents recently moved to Sarasota and I was hoping to hire a guide to so some shark fishing near there. I don't know if this is even a good area for such a thing as I have been there a few times but have never fished in fl at all. Any help is appreciated.
detroithardcore
Posted 12/1/2014 12:58 PM (#742274 - in reply to #742221)
Subject: Re: Good fishing charter near Sarasota fl

Fantastic fishing...depends on the time of year but you've got inshore and offshore options. Great Tarpon fishing depending on time of year. Your by Long Boat Key/Seista Key and that Tarpon bite peaks around May. Sharks can be found anywhere...are you set on chartering for Sharks? Or open to other exciting species to chase? Shark fishing is fun but so many other options to consider. I can ask a few guys I fish with down there that know really good guides all along Florida.
jhillman17
Posted 12/1/2014 1:32 PM (#742279 - in reply to #742221)

Go catch a few ladyfish or spanish mackeral, cut them into big chunks, get yourself a reel that holds a lot of line(got spooled of 300yds last month in about a minute), some wire leader (2-3ft), big hooks, a few big weights... and depending on where they live, find a spot close to open gulf access... cast it out as far as you can and wait. I've always had best luck on rising tides, but as long as it's moving, you've got a better shot. Warmer months tend to have more sharks around, but there are always some around. If you are close or have a car and can access some passes(sarasota pass, new pass), those will probably be your best bet for size and numbers of sharks.

I would personally save your money for a charter for something more skill required (Tarpon, snook, grouper, etc...) Sharking is basically like cat fishing in the ocean. Throw out some stinky/oily bait and the sharks will find you. Sometimes you can stumble upon some other fish too, big redfish, drum, stingrays, saltwater catfish (watchout for their spines, you don't want to get stuck by them).

Words to the wise... make sure you have long pliers, wire cutters, and be very careful. Any shark over about 2 feet is dangerous, they are much stronger than you could believe and they can pretty much bite their own tails, so no matter where your hands are, they are capable of being bit. My rule for sharks is that if I can't see the hook, i cut the line. It will rust out quickly in the saltwater.
PBenson
Posted 12/2/2014 2:34 PM (#742440 - in reply to #742221)

^^^In two weeks from today I will be doing everything you just described
lund guy
Posted 12/2/2014 9:15 PM (#742499 - in reply to #742221)

I wana get the hell out of WI later this winter its not even the end of December yet and hell has already froze over lol im debating Louisiana or Florida later this winter I wana go for sharks big red fish grouper and some other offshore and inshore species
jhillman17
Posted 12/3/2014 9:06 AM (#742530 - in reply to #742221)

lund guy, i would look at lousiana... especially if interested in big redfish. if you were more interested in offshore stuff like sailfish i would head to south florida. Sharks will also be more prevalent during the winter in south florida.
2musky
Posted 12/3/2014 12:10 PM (#742550 - in reply to #742221)
Subject: RE: Good fishing charter near Sarasota fl

A good captain in that area is Captain Josh Peurifoy ….Ill see him in March on 4 trips if you have any questions call me 847 227 7666 John
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)