Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> tiller versus console

Reply New post
Message Subject: tiller versus console
tcbetka
Posted 10/7/2014 7:17 AM (#733737 - in reply to #733686)
Subject: Re: tiller versus console

I would imagine so, yes. By now the design of the bigger boats has been so refined that I would imagine that running a 200-hp Verado on a big Ranger 620T (or Warrior, etc) would be smooth as butter. There were a number of times out of Green Bay where I wondered how much easier it would have to be driving a tiller? There isn't a huge need to structure troll on the south end of the bay in the fall, but there are other areas in the bay where structure trolling is much more important--and a tiller would indeed be the ticket there, I think.

TB
Wood_Duck
Posted 10/7/2014 8:39 AM (#733752 - in reply to #733737)

Tiller all the way for unmatched boat control!
tcbetka
Posted 10/7/2014 11:30 AM (#733813 - in reply to #733683)

The other thing is that for your passenger's comfort, I would do what the salt-water guys do: Bean-bags. Get a bean-bag chair for them to sit on while underway. Take the seat out of the pedestal, put the bean-bag on the floor right at the end of the front casting deck, and let them sit on it. They get a better ride, and they are lower in the boat, and more out of the wind. Check out YouTube videos on how the offshore guys do that, as some have told me it's the only way to ride on the way out to the fishing grounds. These guys routinely run 30-40+ miles out to their trolling grounds, so speed is paramount in getting out there. Where there's a will, there is a way...

TB
Slamr
Posted 10/7/2014 11:48 AM (#733816 - in reply to #732310)

Idea: console with a remote steer kicker. Have one, love it for trolling. You do have to learn your boat, how it steers, how was you have to be on the turns when following contours. But it's the only way I WOULD go. But, I like going fast, I like having the console in front of me (everyone else still gets wet on occasion. Too bad, buy your own boat.) and I make sure to find ways to be able to store everything not being used that day so i can maximize space that is taken up by the console.
Pointerpride102
Posted 10/7/2014 12:37 PM (#733826 - in reply to #732310)

I've hunted a few miles out on Lake Michigan in November, in some less than stellar conditions. Handles the big water fine.
BNelson
Posted 10/7/2014 12:55 PM (#733835 - in reply to #732310)

I own a Tuffy tiller and a Ranger... use to run a Lund tiller.. both styles have their pros/cons... try em both and pick the one you like best... personally for bigger water I prefer a console...
sorenson
Posted 10/7/2014 3:37 PM (#733878 - in reply to #732310)

When comparing tiller vs. console in really rough stuff, at the size of boats we're generally talking about (<21'), it's my opinion that is more about the captain and less about the boat. Skills are a better option than configuration.
s.
North of 8
Posted 10/8/2014 11:17 AM (#734013 - in reply to #732310)
Subject: RE: tiller versus console

Like the room in tillers but the ones I have seen have very small or no rear decks. Are there tiller models that have larger rear casting decks? I have looked at a SC Fish Hawk in both 16 and 17 foot models with the conversion deck and both have a lot of space. Any tillers with something like that?
tyler k
Posted 10/8/2014 1:08 PM (#734036 - in reply to #734013)

North of 8 - 10/8/2014 11:17 AM

Like the room in tillers but the ones I have seen have very small or no rear decks. Are there tiller models that have larger rear casting decks? I have looked at a SC Fish Hawk in both 16 and 17 foot models with the conversion deck and both have a lot of space. Any tillers with something like that?

Tuffy Esox models (or you can buy the deck extension on its own for your Tuffy); the new Larsons appear to have a good sized rear deck; or get a custom extension by building it yourself or order from Just Encase.
North of 8
Posted 10/8/2014 1:12 PM (#734037 - in reply to #734036)

I could build a custom rear deck, have the skills and tools to do so, but are the tiller handles long enough to reach over a rear deck? I would think that would be a limiting factor, but maybe not?
tyler k
Posted 10/8/2014 1:23 PM (#734039 - in reply to #734037)

Get a big tiller extension. You can get them for most manufacturers. It would be a limiting factor to an extent, yes, but you can probably add a foot to 18" depending on your arm length and your seating arrangement. The Tuffy design can fold up, I'd try to build something like that (if I had the skill).
scmuskies
Posted 10/8/2014 2:10 PM (#734047 - in reply to #734037)

North of 8 - 10/8/2014 1:12 PM

I could build a custom rear deck, have the skills and tools to do so, but are the tiller handles long enough to reach over a rear deck? I would think that would be a limiting factor, but maybe not?

I don't see the concern for having it reach over the deck unless you move your seat forward of said deck. As long as it's mounted in the same spot, you won't need to get a new handle for it. Anyways, most bigger tillers (75hp+) should already come w/ the big tiller handle. My Yamaha did.

Anyways, same situation as you, didn't like the smallish rear deck so I added my own. Didn't need a new handle & seat stayed in the same spot - see picture. Alumacraft Navigator, btw.

sc

Edited by scmuskies 10/8/2014 2:12 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(deck_rsz.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments deck_rsz.jpg (166KB - 169 downloads)
Jeff Hanson
Posted 10/8/2014 2:16 PM (#734049 - in reply to #734013)

I have owned both. I would never own a console again. My last 5 Tuffys have all been tillers.
I now run a 2012 Tuffy 1890GT. Handles ruff water great. Has more fishing room in it than any other boat I have fished from. Have room for big net and never have to move it, step on it or trip over it unless I'm netting a fish. Have fished 4 guys many times. Front deck is huge and I can stick 9' rods in my rod locker. Runs 35-40mph depending on how many guys I have in it. 90 Merc 4 stroke trolls great even at slow speeds..The way I troll I can do a better job with a tiller. I will be ordering same boat for 2015 when I sell mine this winter.
Jeff Hanson
madisonmuskyguide.com

Edited by Jeff Hanson 10/8/2014 2:27 PM
North of 8
Posted 10/8/2014 6:35 PM (#734063 - in reply to #732310)

Thanks for the suggestions and the photo.
muskyrat
Posted 10/9/2014 8:22 PM (#734202 - in reply to #732310)

The safety is going to be about the same even if the hull size isn`t exact on the 20' Ranger compared to console. It really is all about comforts. I mean I`m a Tiller guy but understand console is better for running or trolling big flat water in bad weather.
Ranger
Posted 10/11/2014 10:29 PM (#734432 - in reply to #732310)

I have this center console set up and the boat spins on a dime trolling, it is amazing easy to stay right where I want to be. Standing at the wheel is so fine, both slow trolling and booking across the lake. The console contains a cooler, no space wasted. Best of all worlds, sez me.
14ledo81
Posted 11/12/2014 1:53 PM (#739829 - in reply to #732310)

This thread has really got me thinking. I had always thought I was a counsel guy. That is always what my dad had when I was growing up.

It sounds like (general consensus) the tiller is much nicer for fishing out of though. At least for what I would do. I will mostly fish smaller lakes. The two closest lakes to my house are around 250 acres. A "big" lake that I would fish would be 3000-5000 acres. I do live up near Ashland though, and will probably be spending some time out on the Chequamegon Bay in May.
muskyhunter47
Posted 11/12/2014 5:05 PM (#739848 - in reply to #732310)

It comes down to how you fish. My last boat was a SC Crestliner nice boat. Then I up graded to a glass DC skeeter mx .I have been taking my mother out "84 years old "more and more she likes the skeeter much better higher sides dryer ride. Find a boat that will work for how you fish Not any body else. If you buy a boat for your kind of fishing you will be happier in the long run. Just my 2 cents
Imobley
Posted 11/13/2014 9:50 AM (#739915 - in reply to #739829)

14ledo81 - 11/12/2014 2:53 PM

This thread has really got me thinking. I had always thought I was a counsel guy. That is always what my dad had when I was growing up.

It sounds like (general consensus) the tiller is much nicer for fishing out of though. At least for what I would do. I will mostly fish smaller lakes. The two closest lakes to my house are around 250 acres. A "big" lake that I would fish would be 3000-5000 acres. I do live up near Ashland though, and will probably be spending some time out on the Chequamegon Bay in May.

if I were you I'd really think seriously about a tiller. I fish big and small water out of a 16' Lund tiller. Mostly lakes well under 1000 acres, but a trip or 2 on Erie & St. Clair each year. You just need to be smart. If its windy and you can't outrun the spray you will get wet, but 95% of the time i would choose a tiller over a console boat
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)