Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Sucker fishing with no hooks

Message Subject: Sucker fishing with no hooks
Baby Mallard
Posted 11/12/2014 11:57 AM (#739792)
Subject: Sucker fishing with no hooks

What are your opinions on sucker fishing with no hooks? Did a search and couldn't find anything on this. I have heard of a few guys out there fishing this way. I have never fished this way myself, but a few friends of mine say this is bad for the fish. They say letting the fish swallow the sucker builds acids up in the fishes stomach . Also pulling the leader out from its stomach back through the throat is horrible for the fish. I tend to agree with their thoughts on this. Any opinions on this? Good or bad?
FAT-SKI
Posted 11/12/2014 12:12 PM (#739796 - in reply to #739792)
Subject: RE: Sucker fishing with no hooks

Personally I have fished this way and have had quite good success with it. To be honest, I think that anything said bad about this technique is peoples assumptions and theory's on what they "think" will/does/might happen. I have not seen any evidence supporting any negative effects on the fish with this specific technique. Until someone comes out with fact proving evidence showing higher death or delayed mortality rates, I think this technique is going to become more and more popular.

To play devils advocate here ...

Without evidence how can you possibly say that not using hooks is somehow more harmful then thrusting 10/0 treble hooks through their face and near their gills? That just makes absolutely no sense. I can speak from experience and say that spotting a stressed fish is easier then people may think. The difference in noticeable stress on a fish caught with hooks compared to no hooks is dang near night and day. When you release the fish that was caught hookless, they swim away harder then any I have released using hooks. Their is close to no actual "fight" so the fish are still very green once they get to the net (also makes them harder to pick up). But their is no "reviving" with this technique. In all accounts I would think this technique would be ten times less stress on the fish... but again this is just my opinion, there are no facts supporting my therorys or negative theroys for that matter.

just my .02
MuskyManiac09
Posted 11/12/2014 1:10 PM (#739813 - in reply to #739792)
Subject: Re: Sucker fishing with no hooks

I don't think letting the fish swallow the sucker attached to a leader is a good idea...or even necessary. Just look at the Larry Dahlberg episode fishing with Jerry Sondag last fall. The musky held on to the sucker until it was in the net. Even though Larry had a single hook on his setup, not once did he actually ever hook the fish, I believe. Just get right over it, don't use a hookset, and just start reeling it in with firm pressure. And get it in the net quick!!!!!
14ledo81
Posted 11/12/2014 1:12 PM (#739815 - in reply to #739792)

Not sure how swallowing the sucker would build up acids. They have to swallow everything they eat.

I have two questions though. How do you attach the sucker to the leader? How long do you let the fish take it before you assume it has been swallowed?
Slow Rollin
Posted 11/12/2014 1:59 PM (#739831 - in reply to #739815)

Fat ski. So how do you do it? Bobber down and how long do let them take it? Do you just real them in slow while all the pressure is on their guts and insides? Then yank the sucker out while in the net? The clamps on leaders have edges which could easily scrape internal parts I would think.
kdebell
Posted 11/12/2014 2:42 PM (#739836 - in reply to #739831)

Fat Ski how many fish have you caught using this method. Seems interesting to me.
FAT-SKI
Posted 11/12/2014 2:47 PM (#739837 - in reply to #739836)

Every single musky boated this way has ALWAYS 100% of the time spit the sucker the second it hits the net
FAT-SKI
Posted 11/12/2014 2:59 PM (#739838 - in reply to #739815)

14ledo81 - 11/12/2014 1:12 PM

Not sure how swallowing the sucker would build up acids. They have to swallow everything they eat.

I have two questions though. How do you attach the sucker to the leader? How long do you let the fish take it before you assume it has been swallowed?

thread the line through their nose using a needle or bent wire with line attached.

Depends, some come right to the boat as they just wont let go. Others can take some time depending on how slow they are eating or if they need to position the sucker better. So I can't really give a "this is how long it takes" statement. Every fish is different.

There is no yanking any of the suckers out they always, ALWAYS spit them once in the net. No bobber at all, just let em swim.
14ledo81
Posted 11/12/2014 5:16 PM (#739850 - in reply to #739838)

FAT-SKI - 11/12/2014 2:59 PM

thread the line through their nose using a needle or bent wire with line attached.

Depends, some come right to the boat as they just wont let go. Others can take some time depending on how slow they are eating or if they need to position the sucker better. So I can't really give a "this is how long it takes" statement. Every fish is different.

There is no yanking any of the suckers out they always, ALWAYS spit them once in the net. No bobber at all, just let em swim.

Can you at least give an estimate on the time? 1 min? 5 min? 15 min?
Slamr
Posted 11/12/2014 5:22 PM (#739852 - in reply to #739850)

Honest question: when you catch muskies and don't set the hook or fight'em...is it as much fun?
FAT-SKI
Posted 11/12/2014 5:48 PM (#739856 - in reply to #739852)

Slamr - 11/12/2014 5:22 PM

Honest question: when you catch muskies and don't set the hook or fight'em...is it as much fun?[/QUOTE

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FAT-SKI
Posted 11/12/2014 5:50 PM (#739857 - in reply to #739850)

14ledo81 - 11/12/2014 5:16 PM

FAT-SKI - 11/12/2014 2:59 PM

Can you at least give an estimate on the time? 1 min? 5 min? 15 min?

---------------------
I guess I'd say between 3 and 10 minuites ... ??? I guess
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)