Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Muskies are like women, sometimes they don't like anything." -my boat partner last night.
- (Added by: JKahler)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Leader making

Message Subject: Leader making
FAT-SKI
Posted 10/29/2014 1:07 PM (#737571)
Subject: Leader making

I am going to try and start making my own leaders. I just ahve a few quiestions about it.

Are guys using crimps to tie off the ends of the leaders? Or do some guys just melt them together? Would that be strong enough? Or melt + crimping? What has been the best for you as a leader type? I assume going flruo will be the best option for me, but I have heard and seen some guys using mono? Is there a difference in which application you would use one or the other for? Are they difficult to tie? What LBS strength do most guys use? I figured I would was going to go with #80 or #100?..... Bigger? What kinds of snaps? Swivels even? I want to do both steel and fluro too, but am sticking to fluro to start

Any and all help is appreciated. Obviously I am new at this. I have some cool ideas once I get the hang of making them. Again thanks for any help
ShutUpNFish
Posted 10/29/2014 1:24 PM (#737572 - in reply to #737571)
Subject: Re: Leader making

I use both 80lb Flouro and 100lb and tie all of my leaders. Use pliers to cinch and pull tight on the tag ends. I use a Surgeon's Loop Knot on the line tie end and a Palomar to the swivel/snap end. Tie a Surgeon's Loop Knot on the end of my line as well and loop it through on to the leader for double strength.

I use Stainless Steel crane swivels with duo lock or stay lock snaps all SS....good luck.

Edited by ShutUpNFish 10/29/2014 1:26 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)