Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Side Imaging Readings

Message Subject: Side Imaging Readings
FishinFreaks
Posted 10/25/2014 1:30 PM (#736679)
Subject: Side Imaging Readings

I've been on the water five times now with my Lowrance Gen 1 units and my new LSS-2. I'm trying to get it dialed in. In the picture, I'm in 5.1 feet of water, and I'm very shadowed out to the side of the boat. The imaging doesn't go very far at all.  I expected to be able to see further out to the sides. Am I doing something wrong? Were my expectations too high?

Zinox
Posted 10/25/2014 1:50 PM (#736682 - in reply to #736679)
Subject: Re: Side Imaging Readings

To get a good look at whats on the bottom, i set the "side factor" to around 2-3* the depth. When i'm searching for structure or actual fish.

Eg 10 feet deep i would use a 20-30 feet to the side.
FishinFreaks
Posted 10/26/2014 8:10 AM (#736736 - in reply to #736679)

So would you say that you can't see far out to the side - like 30-40 feet per side - in water under 10'?
Zinox
Posted 10/26/2014 8:39 AM (#736738 - in reply to #736679)

I can't translate the image, to anything use full, i also think it depends on what you are looking for, i have manly used it to locate individual fish.
tcbetka
Posted 10/26/2014 9:07 AM (#736742 - in reply to #736738)

There is still an angle to the SI sonar unit. Lowrance's literature shows that the signal is basically parallel to the surface of the water, however in practice I've noticed that in shallower water you simply don't see as much out to the sides. So I think there is more angle than their diagram(s) would lead one to believe, and that in deeper the water the signal extends farther to the side...therefore the more "reach" your sonar will have. It's really no different than with the down imaging (DI) sonar: Since the transducer has a signal angle of about 20-degrees, you're going to see a cone of water under the transducer. It's basically two triangles back to back (in the plane across your stern, for example), and simple trigonometry will tell you that the deeper the water, the greater the height of the triangle, and the wider the base. Although the SI transducer has a different shape to it's signal, it works in basically the same way. You can certainly adjust the range on the display manually (it's in "auto" mode by default), however if you don't have the depth then you won't get much lateral signal out to the sides of the boat.

I started a similar thread here on MF a couple years ago, and this was discussed:

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=73...

Also, Navico has a YouTube channel with a number of helpful "tutorial" videos. For example here is one showing how to tweak your basic set-up configuration for Structure Scan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Wtwz3mlr0g

There are also many other demo videos on YouTube where folks demonstrate using SI technology to see various objects in the water and on the bottom. Well worth an hour or two spent watch some of those videos, like this one (cheesy music, I know...):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tdYT3i9ip8

There are also various Yahoo Groups and Internet forums for the various side imaging products, and a simple Google search will show those very quickly.

Finally, Bruce Samson (Doc Sonar) has a number of DVD products for sale, including some on getting the most from the SI units. I bought a couple of his videos over the years and for the most part they are very good at telling you what you need to know in order to maximize your skill using the Lowrance products. These are well worth the $20 or so he charges, especially when an SI unit costs many times that much.

TB
Jerry Newman
Posted 10/26/2014 8:01 PM (#736886 - in reply to #736679)
Subject: RE: Side Imaging Readings

FishinFreaks - 10/25/2014 1:30 PM

I've been on the water five times now with my Lowrance Gen 1 units and my new LSS-2. I'm trying to get it dialed in. In the picture, I'm in 5.1 feet of water, and I'm very shadowed out to the side of the boat. The imaging doesn't go very far at all.  I expected to be able to see further out to the sides. Am I doing something wrong? Were my expectations too high?

Regarding how far you can see out on the side scan, I think Tom did an excellent job of explaining that already.

I have a designated unit set up at the helm with the down scan & side scan views only, the down scan and side scan feature is structure + structure. I prefer the down scan versus the sonar view because I've found that it's more detailed and reliable, (I have the GPS feature fully expanded and a sonar sliver displayed on the other helm unit).

I'm typically running 60’ off either side in 10-15’ water, which covers the area in front of my spread nicely (I can see the down rods on the side image if they are angled into the water) The further out you try to scan, the smaller objects become, and therefore less detail.  I typically run a 23% contrast, a blue screen, and really like the "look ahead" feature for both running and trolling.  With a blue 60' setting a mid-45” muskie will be white and about 3/16" long, the fish shadow tells you how high it is riding in the water column. 

This is was my third full year using the structure scan, and I would feel naked on the water without it now, I've doubled back after seeing a muskie and/or baitfish several times and scored. I see you are already at 800 KHZ, so it just going to take some more time on the water to get dialed in. I still have the Doc Samson video, if you're interested in it shoot me an offer.  

tcbetka
Posted 10/26/2014 8:11 PM (#736890 - in reply to #736679)

If you change to the 455 KHz frequency at the extreme ranges, Lowrance says it gives better detail. I've never tried it myself though.

TB
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)