Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Does your saltist 30 casting lever jam/bind on you ?

Message Subject: Does your saltist 30 casting lever jam/bind on you ?
happy hooker
Posted 1/15/2015 5:16 PM (#748758)
Subject: Does your saltist 30 casting lever jam/bind on you ?

I have the grey saltist 30 few years old had it rebuilt once. The factory spring in the casting lever broke after it had been binding for a while and I had it replaced during rebuild. The lever still jams every few casts I've noticed it does this when under load like a double 10 hanging off the tip of rod if there is no weight on it like when you hold the reel in your hands off the rod it doesn't bind. Have you guys found a fix for this or maybe just have to put slack in line before flipping lever which would be awkward.
Masqui-ninja
Posted 1/15/2015 5:22 PM (#748759 - in reply to #748758)
Subject: RE: Does your saltist 30 casting lever jam/bind on you ?

I have a couple of the grey Saltist 20s and they have never done this. In fact, they have been pretty much bullet proof.
jonnysled
Posted 1/15/2015 5:56 PM (#748768 - in reply to #748758)
Subject: Re: Does your saltist 30 casting lever jam/bind on you ?

mine doesn't but now you make me think because out of habit i roll the spool back with my left thumb before moving the lever to disengage. i bet it does what you are saying and i just adjusted for it.
Jmeyers
Posted 1/16/2015 9:23 AM (#748867 - in reply to #748758)
Subject: Re: Does your saltist 30 casting lever jam/bind on you ?

I've had the spring pop a few times on my Saltist 30's...I couldn't give you an exact answer as to why it kept happening as I got a variety of answers from everyone I asked. However, The one thing I do now that has prevented it from happening the last two season was to let the bait hit the water before I flip the lever. I know it sounds basic, I was just in the habit of moving the bait right when it hits the water which lead me to flip my release lever while the bait was falling in the air, which the momentum of the bait seemed to be the reason why my spring would go.

Not sure this is your problem but I haven't had any problems sense I started retrieving the new way. Hope it helps.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)