Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Pedestal Lure Storage Tubes | Building Your Own

Message Subject: Pedestal Lure Storage Tubes | Building Your Own
Sam Ubl
Posted 4/14/2014 3:59 PM (#706741)
Subject: Pedestal Lure Storage Tubes | Building Your Own

Does anyone have any homemade clear or smoke plastic pedestal lure storage tube set-ups they could share instructions for? I'm looking to build my own, but I'm not sure where to buy the plastic tubing and how best to affix them to one another to hold up to the weather, weight of lures and getting accidentally bumped now and again by shoes or boots. Glue, screws, what?

How did you build yours? What materials are needed? Polycarbonate? If so, what thickness?

PS: I realize and appreciate there are versions of this for sale, but I'm trying to pinch pennies here to spend those pennies "there".

Jeremy
Posted 4/14/2014 4:38 PM (#706750 - in reply to #706741)
Subject: RE: Pedestal Lure Storage Tubes | Building Your Own

Hi Sam,

Having NEVER having done this, so I'm shooting from the hip totally here.

If I wanted to do this I'm thinking I'd buy some preferably square, plastic tubing from Home Depot or such - round if you can't find sq. in a size you like. Then I'd cut some lengths as your pref. and attach them via a rivet top, bottom and middle.

I believe they have a tool "extender" avail. so when you bore a hole in the adjoining tubes you can reach thru to rivet the previous one etc. and so on until you have a stack or a bundle of stacks. Then rivet the stack together as you like to hold.

Find a suitable leather strip and rivet that over the top an' yer done! Kapisch?

Try to find some thinner walled tubing for weight etc. Best I can do offhand man.

It's gonna be a tad heavy, unless you can get some sheet plastic and fabricate via slots (like older egg cartons) and epoxy.

Jeremy.

Masqui-ninja
Posted 4/14/2014 8:18 PM (#706805 - in reply to #706750)

I can't help you with clear but if you wanted white or brown you could glue together square plastic downspout with liquid nails.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(P1080777.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments P1080777.JPG (128KB - 443 downloads)
tr7
Posted 4/15/2014 12:10 AM (#706838 - in reply to #706741)
Subject: Re: Pedestal Lure Storage Tubes | Building Your Own

I have some extra tubes that I purchased from someone on here. They are acrylic which requires a special adhesive which I also still have plenty of. If your interested we could work something out. I can also get a photo of the ones I made for you to see. Let me know your thoughts.
kirkkopplin
Posted 4/15/2014 4:35 PM (#706974 - in reply to #706741)

you have a messag
Masqui-ninja
Posted 4/15/2014 5:31 PM (#706987 - in reply to #706838)

tr7 - 4/15/2014 12:10 AM

I have some extra tubes that I purchased from someone on here. They are acrylic which requires a special adhesive which I also still have plenty of. If your interested we could work something out. I can also get a photo of the ones I made for you to see. Let me know your thoughts.

What are the best kind of clear acrylic tubes to use and where can I get them?
Do they hold up in the sun? Thanks!
tr7
Posted 4/15/2014 6:09 PM (#706996 - in reply to #706741)

I'm not sure what the best are. The guy I bought them from got them from the owner of Dunwright Tackle. The ones I have hold up great in the sun. They don't get warm even.
twells
Posted 4/16/2014 9:51 AM (#707106 - in reply to #706741)

you have a message.
Sam Ubl
Posted 4/16/2014 2:07 PM (#707171 - in reply to #706741)

Thanks for the inputs guys, especially the helpful PM's! I have a couple local places to check out for the plastic tubes, but I'm aiming for 3" tubes and either a marine glue or liquid nails to start. I'll probably end up lining the tube that the pedastal goes through with felt to take the abuse of waves and metal on plastic contact. I'm not sure if I will wrap a frame around the tubes or just leave them be, but I'm sort of swaying on the side of wrapping them with a plastic frame, for lack of better words. I figure it will help hold them in place and protect them like a bumper when I inevitably kick it from time to time.

Thanks again for the great insight everyone!
DRPEPIN
Posted 4/16/2014 4:08 PM (#707196 - in reply to #706741)

Please keep us informed as to how it goes so the rest of us can try also.
eightweight
Posted 4/17/2014 6:14 AM (#707277 - in reply to #707171)

could you post with what you end up with ??

Sam Ubl - 4/16/2014 2:07 PM

Thanks for the inputs guys, especially the helpful PM's! I have a couple local places to check out for the plastic tubes, but I'm aiming for 3" tubes and either a marine glue or liquid nails to start. I'll probably end up lining the tube that the pedastal goes through with felt to take the abuse of waves and metal on plastic contact. I'm not sure if I will wrap a frame around the tubes or just leave them be, but I'm sort of swaying on the side of wrapping them with a plastic frame, for lack of better words. I figure it will help hold them in place and protect them like a bumper when I inevitably kick it from time to time.

Thanks again for the great insight everyone!
Sam Ubl
Posted 4/17/2014 8:15 AM (#707302 - in reply to #706741)

Absolutely. I'll do my best.
HANS79
Posted 4/17/2014 4:35 PM (#707405 - in reply to #706741)

just another option. i took a lakewoods box the small one and made a bracket out of aluminum stock that i got from menards that wraps around the outside of the box, tight fit. i used a scotty rod holder mount with the extension than i bolt on to the bracket and mounted it on the casting deck in front of the counsel out of the way. it is very solid and i used the L stock for the front and made holes that you can hang pliers in. i have it on a bass boat and it doesnt move at 70 mph. plus you can zipper the top down if raining and no exposed hooks
jdsplasher
Posted 4/17/2014 5:35 PM (#707427 - in reply to #707405)

Sam; I may be at smokeys next Saturday the 26th. I can bring one of mine.

I just buy the downspout square tubing like suggested, and drill an 1/8 inch hole near the top and bottom, and rivet them with 1/8 rivets. Or, you can use pull ties to lock together also.

Here is a pic of a couple I did. See the rivets?  After you drill the hole the size of the rivets, then I just slid over the open vise and peened over the rivet, by tapping the rivet with a ball peen hammer. 

I don't like the pull ties on top, as sometimes hooks get hung up. Sam, make sure you cut downspout a bit longer size as I know you like Dawgs!!!  

JD 

(IMG_0122.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0122.JPG (62KB - 569 downloads)
Simple Man
Posted 4/18/2014 9:06 AM (#707530 - in reply to #706741)

There are some great ideas on here.  We used PVC held together by glue.  The pedestal slides right through the center PVC.  My buddy ended up using left over deck carpet from the deck box he built and wrapped the PVC setup with it...looks really good and also comes in handy while lake traveling as the carpet holds hooks in place for lures that we hang on the outside of the PVC tubes.  Did a setup for the front and back casting decks for under 40 bucks....
Esox1850
Posted 4/18/2014 2:18 PM (#707584 - in reply to #706741)

Back over oh, 13-14 years ago when I got out of college I was on a budget and I went out and bought 6 or 7 tubes of tennis balls. Took and used a silicone adhesive to glue the tubes together. They're clear, they hold up to 3-4 bucktails or 1 10" jake or 1 Mag Dawg per tube, and it is still holding up. Never thought it would last. Just drill a few small holes in the bottom so rain/wave water/bucktails water can drain out. 3 boats later and I use the same pedestal holder on my 620 today, kind of nostalgic..
HANS79
Posted 4/18/2014 5:43 PM (#707623 - in reply to #706741)

here are the pics of my setup with the lakewoods box and bracket I made

(1397817469164 (640x361).jpg)

(IMAG0237 (800x451) (640x361).jpg)

(IMAG0239 (Copy) (640x361).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 1397817469164 (640x361).jpg (149KB - 396 downloads)
Attachments IMAG0237 (800x451) (640x361).jpg (186KB - 447 downloads)
Attachments IMAG0239 (Copy) (640x361).jpg (166KB - 396 downloads)
brmusky
Posted 4/22/2014 5:24 PM (#708163 - in reply to #706741)

I built one out of 4" PVC pipe and duct tape for a temporary solution before I could figure out what I really wanted to buy.
5 years later, the duct tape job on 5 sections of 4" PVC pipe are still serving the purpose just fine. I just simply taped around the bunch with duct tape and can't force myself to spend money on something to replace it since it works just fine. I think it took me 10 minutes and cost $5?

I have built a few tackle boxes out of square tubing and it works great but I would stick to larger round tubing for the pedestal area. Each tube holds several lures no problem. IMO PVC glues won't handle the sunlight and vibrations in the long term. I think you would be better off with rivets.

Good Luck!
Sam Ubl
Posted 8/21/2014 3:45 PM (#726543 - in reply to #706741)

It's been some time since I first began this thread with full intentions of building my own pedestal tackle storage unit for my boat. I had been in contact with some recommended plastic companies and had drawn up the start to some ideas before I received an exclusive invitation to field test a prototype from Bob at Just Encase. Bob and I corresponded back and forth over the phone and by way of email with supporting images of the design ideas that Bob would come up with. Eventually a package would arrive at my door and within minutes the box was opened and I was tearing off the boat cover to put the new pedestal unit in place.

So a review is in order...

What separates this unit from anything else I've seen on the market is it's dynamic interchangeability, in that you get to choose what height your tubes are and you can change them out whenever you want. If you downsize in the spring, swap out the taller tubes for the shorter ones. In the summer, if you're like me when you go to the lake you bring small stuff and big stuff, and I suppose anywhere in between. The way it is now, the unit I have has three different sizes capable of holding pounder Bulldawgs and Super Model dub 10's without lapping on the floor base, DDD Cranks and 10-inch walk-the-dog topwaters baits fit perfectly in the mid size and anything from small cranks, TW tailbaits and your basic dub-10 blade baits fit great in the smaller of the three.

If you drop a bait down to the bottom and can't fish it out with another hook, like a small bucktail or something, you can slide the tube upwards and easily retrieve the fallen lure out with your hand. The base of the unit has feet to lift the unit over the base of your pedestal if you have a boat that has the aluminum plate around the pedestal base (like a lund or a Alumacraft). Even though I have a Ranger with a simple hole in the floor to insert the pedestal seat, I still prefer having the lure unit off the carpet so it can dry when it rains as opposed to staying moist all of the time. The bottom base of the Just Encase unit has holes drilled where the tubes cover to drain when it rains, as well.  

I love that I can easily see every lure in each tube and they don't bake in the sun - trust me, I spent 14-hour days for 8-days straight on Lake of the Woods baking and my lure paints never bled and the rubber never got soft. There are tool storage holes drilled in and they worked great. I stored a long needle nose, a large Knipex hook cutter, a hook sharpening file and a split-ring pliers with ease; they never shook, vibrated or fell out, even when I was crashing some serious waves at 40+ mph. The unit never budged, not even a little. The feet gripped the carpet well and the weight of the unit with the lures in kept it solidly positioned even in the most adverse of conditions.

I would highly recommend this unit to anyone if Just Encase puts these into production. Such an awesome unit and I'm so pleased I was afforded the opportunity to put this prototype to the test! I'll be posting some video footage from my recent trip to LOTW here on MuskieFIRST very soon. There is plenty of footage of this unit absorbing abuse from weather to waves and every day use. If anyone has any questions regarding specs on the unit, feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to do my best and try and answer.

Below are some action pics with the unit shown with different lures in it so you can see what it fits. And yeah, I know, wrong species  

coltboy75
Posted 8/27/2014 7:58 AM (#727235 - in reply to #706741)

I made these out of milkcrates, vinyl downspout and RTV caulk. About $14 a piece. Cut the bottom out of the middle tube and the pedestal slides through it. I cut and painted (for rain protection) some scrap peg board that I lay on top and zip tie down for transport back and forth to Canada, used them in these pictures last week and will head out Friday to Canada again with them.

(photo 2.JPG)

(photo.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments photo 2.JPG (41KB - 389 downloads)
Attachments photo.JPG (42KB - 403 downloads)
BNelson
Posted 8/27/2014 11:45 AM (#727295 - in reply to #706741)

i built my own, Midland plastics on the East side of madison had some strong 8" wide diameter clear tubes, i have them cut me 5, 12" long and just glued them together, very solid/strong. weren't cheap as I think the tubes ran about $80-90 total but it works great.. you can kinda see it here

(baits.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments baits.jpg (77KB - 819 downloads)
Sam Ubl
Posted 9/10/2014 11:13 AM (#729466 - in reply to #706741)

Some pics I took last night while hooking up the boat to fish tonight after work in the stormy weather...

(lk.jpg)

(photo.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments lk.jpg (87KB - 393 downloads)
Attachments photo.JPG (129KB - 488 downloads)
ShutUpNFish
Posted 9/12/2014 7:23 AM (#729739 - in reply to #706741)

This may not be exactly what you're looking for, but it may offer some additional ideas...My set up below the bow pedestal.

This was custom made for me by a friend...I like my lures and equipment tucked away nicely and organized....I NEVER have lures lying around the boat or hanging out in the open....Over the years, I've seen too many mis-haps...Not happenin' in my boat, not that way.

Sam Ubl
Posted 9/15/2014 3:45 PM (#730211 - in reply to #706741)

Brad, LOL...

It's about time I finally have a pedestal lure storage unit. I've been bringing 5-gallon pales into the boat for far too long and found out one too many times how bad of an idea it is when they tip over... what a mess. I hate to bring a bunch of boxes into the boat with me, I like my room, plus guests in the boat usually bring all the stuff they have and take up the room themselves. Now I pick several things out and hit the road. When I'm in the boat, I have the options I brought and that forces me to remember that sometimes lures don't catch fish because they don't get thrown long enough; I force myself to stick with my baits longer. Sometimes on trips I like to have a bunch of options, but on evening trips after work all I need is a crankbait, a topwater bait, several blade options, and some rubber. Clean boat, less to get tangled on or snagged to and easy to navigate when your fighting a fish and the netman is trying to catch up to you.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)