Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Rail Mount Rod Holders?

Message Subject: Rail Mount Rod Holders?
Jim Stroede
Posted 8/27/2014 10:57 PM (#727415)
Subject: Rail Mount Rod Holders?

Been using Down East clamp on's forever, now looking at rail mount options, any recommendations?
horsehunter
Posted 8/28/2014 6:46 AM (#727428 - in reply to #727415)
Subject: Re: Rail Mount Rod Holders?

Downeasters best for rail mounts nice to be able to tip your rods up when approaching a shallower spot. You can order the parts from them to convert the ones you have if you want to save a bit of coin and be able to convert back if you need them for a camp boat.
horsehunter
Posted 8/28/2014 6:51 AM (#727429 - in reply to #727415)

You can also buy plastic rail mounts Temptress I think ( not Scotty's because of shape) and clamp your clamp ons on them which makes them removable when casting.
Reef Hawg
Posted 8/28/2014 8:25 AM (#727444 - in reply to #727415)
Subject: RE: Rail Mount Rod Holders?

Folbe are my preferred rail mount holder. Been great, since switching from DE 6.5 years ago, no failures. I don't troll as much as many here, but enough that I'd have seen issue by now. Great holders, and the easiest I've ever owned, to use. I won't knock DE or their durability at all. I just needed something a bit easier for the kids to remove a loaded rod from while trolling. Glad Shep turned me onto these back in 2007.
ShutUpNFish
Posted 8/28/2014 10:41 AM (#727482 - in reply to #727415)

Plastic wears...I used to use Fish-Ons which were great for a few years, but the teeth wore and the plastic gets oxidized and brittle over time....poly, plastic, lexan or whatever high tech name they call them; they are still some sort of plastic which WILL over time wear and break....If you spend a lot of time trolling, Down East is the way to go...They last forever and also have a rail mount option for you!

Check them out: http://www.down-east.com/website_008.htm
Reef Hawg
Posted 8/28/2014 11:32 AM (#727488 - in reply to #727482)

ShutUpNFish - 8/28/2014 10:41 AM

Plastic wears...I used to use Fish-Ons which were great for a few years, but the teeth wore and the plastic gets oxidized and brittle over time....poly, plastic, lexan or whatever high tech name they call them; they are still some sort of plastic which WILL over time wear and break....If you spend a lot of time trolling, Down East is the way to go...They last forever and also have a rail mount option for you!

Check them out: http://www.down-east.com/website_008.htm

Nothing lasts forever. However, I'd argue that a system that is much easier to operate and less destructive to my equipment, that has lasted flawlessly for going on 8 years, is worth a look. If I were purchasing a set, I'd want to look at a design that has taken the best options of several, and improved the ease of use. Personally, I don't mind being able to pull a rod with a big Musky tugging, or worse, a snag, with one hand while operating the tiller with the other. In terms of oxidation, I am running pump housings, doctor blades, serpentine rolls, bearing housings, conveyor supports, leachate/landfill liners, well samplers, etc. in the most corrosive environment known to the area(paper mill waste treatment facility/landfill), all made of a similar 'plastic' to that of which the Folbe holders are made. I've no doubt my rod holders will last as long or longer than this equipment, which is under constant and more abusive duress.

Again a couple friends(Jeremy V, Erik H) and I don't troll as much as many, but an avg of 400 hours per year on a total of our 3 boats for going 8 years with them on extremely snaggy big fish waters is enough to at least keep them on our rails. Knowing Jim fishes Wisconsin, and probably trolls frequently but not every day of the season such as myself, I'd bet he'd realize the same success rate.

The OP is looking at viable rail mount options to which we all gave an opinion of why we like what we run. If you want to debate further as to why my plastic rod holders shouldn't've lasted the 8 years on a Musky boat as they have, let's continue with one of the other eleventeen threads that have been designated to said topic over the years.

Jim Stroede
Posted 9/6/2014 6:44 PM (#728915 - in reply to #727488)

Ordered the Folbe's from Cabela's. Thanks for the advice guys.
Jim
Masqui-ninja
Posted 9/6/2014 6:48 PM (#728916 - in reply to #728915)

You won't regret it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)