Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> clayton k.slack jr.

Message Subject: clayton k.slack jr.
esox69
Posted 12/9/2006 6:26 PM (#224672)
Subject: clayton k.slack jr.

does anyone know where he lives or where he can be reached? he was a heck of a fisherman from the 70's, and wonder if he's still around. any help is appreciated...
thanks,
steve
esoxman50
Posted 12/9/2006 7:05 PM (#224675 - in reply to #224672)
Subject: RE: clayton k.slack jr.

I believe he passed away several years ago from cancer if your talking about the one from Round lake in Wisconsin.

Joe Wishin
FYGR8
Posted 12/9/2006 8:04 PM (#224687 - in reply to #224672)

He did pass away from cancer sometime in the 80's.
sworrall
Posted 12/9/2006 10:14 PM (#224708 - in reply to #224687)

He was a great stick and a great guy.
esox69
Posted 12/9/2006 10:44 PM (#224709 - in reply to #224672)

thanks for the replies- so sr. and jr. are gone... #*^@ shame. would have loved to talk to one/both of them.
aaaluther
Posted 6/27/2014 9:56 AM (#718106 - in reply to #224672)

My son and I read the In Fisherman issue that featured Clayton and his father and
decided to call him for a musky trip. We are from Ohio and happened to be staying
around Hayward for a week's fishing. He said that he was available, and quoted
a price of fifty bucks and a lunch for him. I agreed and he picked us up towing his
boat, and we ended up at Deer Lake----he said he had planned to take us to another
lake, but there was a recent tournament there and the fishing was bad. We went
out on this small lake and he rowed the boat to several places and we were fishing
with black Mepps spinners, which he told me to purchase when I called him. We
were unsucessful in hooking a legal musky---I got one that was 1/4 inch to short
to be legal. He hooked a large musky and lost it and threw his pole down in the boat
and said "I just did what I told you not to do." He was a very funny guy, and we
had a good time with him. I always wondered what happened to him. His house
had many musky heads on the wall, and he said they all were 30 pounders or
more. He also had a huge Pike fully stuffed that he took to advertise his guiding.
I surely would like to have a copy of the In Fisherman article that featured he and
his father. I had the issue, but it is gone now. I really enjoyed our day with
Clayton Jr.
aaaluther
Posted 6/27/2014 3:09 PM (#718150 - in reply to #224672)

My son just corrected me----on our trip with Junior, he took us to Day lake, not
Deer Lake-----And I should have mentioned that Junior caught a barely legal Musky
and offered it to me, and I told him to release it, as I did not want a fish unless I
caught it myself----
muskie! nut
Posted 6/28/2014 9:20 AM (#718203 - in reply to #224672)
Subject: Re: clayton k.slack jr.

I may have the magazine. Do you have an issue number or a date? I have just about all the issues from 1976 to about 2000. I may not part with the issue, I might be able to get a copy of it yo you. Let me know.
aaaluther
Posted 8/22/2014 11:45 AM (#726642 - in reply to #718203)
Subject: Re: clayton k.slack jr.

Sorry for the late response---I can not come up with an issue number or even a year--let me know if you come up with the article---I am not interested in the complete issue--just a copy of the article----Thanksmuch---
ESOX Maniac
Posted 8/22/2014 12:07 PM (#726648 - in reply to #224672)

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=78...

Have fun!
Al
sneaky
Posted 9/15/2014 3:54 PM (#730214 - in reply to #224672)

Clayton died in 1982 from cancer. My son was born in March that year (actually the night of the MI Symposium at Telemark) and Clayton gave him a yellow Surf Roller from his death bed in the hospital. He taught me and others how to fish Round Lake and was instrumental on getting the local MI Chapter started and also the first local tournament, now in it's 37th year. Clayton was a member of the first Executive Board of the Hayward Chapter of MI. and the chapter started in March of 1978. At the time, Clayton ran Fisher Lure that his father had started and made the Twirlo-Jet bucktail, Tek-Neek jerk bait, and the Surf-Roller surface bait. He later sold the company to local fisherman. On a day that I fish RL or LOTW, I often remember him and throw a tek-neek or surf-roller in his memory.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)