Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Saltist vs. Avet

Message Subject: Saltist vs. Avet
jhathaway
Posted 9/13/2014 4:33 PM (#729940)
Subject: Saltist vs. Avet

Wondering if anyone can compare an avet mxj (mc) to a saltist . I have used, and seen an avet in action. Amazed at the ease in which it pulls a 10. Effortless. Haven't seen or used a saltist.. Also, many saltist come with two speeds, which I am not interested in, so I am wondering more about the single speeds, and the hyper speed.

For me, in canada, it would be easiest to get my hands on a saltist. But curious if its worth the extra shipping to order an avet.

I have tried revos, lexas, tranx, not impressed or interested.

Thanks for any, and all help.
Landry
Posted 9/13/2014 4:46 PM (#729942 - in reply to #729940)
Subject: Re: Saltist vs. Avet

Avets are great but if u order one get some extra pinion bearings cause they blow out often when you run these reels at high drag settings. It is an easy swap to do and they are cheap.

I have the smallest avet and really like it now that I learned that trick. They will eventually feel like a Coffee grinder. That is your cue to replace the bearing.
Zinox
Posted 9/13/2014 4:59 PM (#729944 - in reply to #729940)

I use a Avet Sx it's en awesome little reel(mine is the Raptor version), used for 10's 13's dawgs, and cranks, really like it.
andreula
Posted 9/13/2014 9:39 PM (#729979 - in reply to #729940)

Ive been looking at these reels but the none level wind is a concern as Ive never had any experience with this type of reel. The other thought was a Trinidad but same question regarding level wind. I take it the lever as opposed to thumb bar takes some getting used to but i think id be ok ofter a few trips?
Propster
Posted 9/13/2014 10:24 PM (#729983 - in reply to #729940)

Landry or Zinox, do either of you use the SX 2 speed? Rather than switching it to lower gear for fighting fish, I'd want to use the alterhating gear ratio to burn smaller blades and then be able to flip it and slow roll dbl 13's. Anyone doing that - does it work?
jhathaway
Posted 9/13/2014 10:42 PM (#729986 - in reply to #729979)

Andreula,

I never would have considered going to a reel without a level wind, until, the fella I was fishing with moved three times as many fish as myself and another angler combined, with his avet. He had experience, and was a well oiled machine. He admitted there was a learning curve, but the evidence was pretty clear. He was able to burn tails faster than me, (I use a toro winch), with a retrieve perhaps a third as fast as me. I am a believer.
Landry
Posted 9/14/2014 1:04 AM (#729998 - in reply to #729940)

Buy the two speed. I have the 5.4 sx. I like it. Wish I had a little extra speed.
But do but some extra bearings. Trust me on that one.
Propster
Posted 9/14/2014 5:25 AM (#729999 - in reply to #729940)

What causes the bearing to go out so readily? On other reels that have a bearing in this position, the bearings seem to last nearly indefinitely.
Zinox
Posted 9/14/2014 7:01 AM (#730002 - in reply to #729940)

The bearing should only be a problem, if you push the drag to hard. But don't have much experience with that, as i use the raptor version, that has a different drag system.

I mainly use the high speed setting, but i like the 2 speed option, if i want to really slow roll some big blades, or slow way down, when the water is cold.
Zinox
Posted 9/14/2014 7:53 AM (#730004 - in reply to #729940)

When i don't expect to fish slow, i mainly use my Tranx though, i find it cast, lighter stuff better. (eg. light dc8's, and dc7's)
detroithardcore
Posted 9/14/2014 8:01 AM (#730006 - in reply to #729940)

I have the MXJ 2-speed w/ MC controls. Great reel but the high speed gear is still really tiring burning in blades. It certainly does the job but its not easy by any means. The lower gear is effortless but again if speed is the ticket then it still takes a lot of effort to burn blades. I bought it originally for casting blades but still have issues with the line stacking up uneven on the reel no matter how hard I try to control the line with my thumb. I've started to use it for jigging Bondy Baits and its the perfect reel for this application. It picks up like fast on those deep strikes. I love the reel but wish I would use it more for other techniques. Since the Lexa came along I've been using it for all fishing and love it.
Propster
Posted 9/14/2014 8:10 AM (#730007 - in reply to #729940)

How about spool width - you guys go with J, or bigger? With MC cast control, and does it help?
And at least one of you has the Raptor drag system - is that worth having for muskie casting applications?
Finally, who carries them so a guy can give em a look?
Zinox
Posted 9/14/2014 8:42 AM (#730009 - in reply to #729940)

I really like the compact SX size(almost same size as a 400D), and imo the raptor version is overkill, but is safes, the worry's about the pinion bearing, but you can get A LOT of replacement bearings for the 150 usd + in price.
I got mine from www.meltontackle.com

And as stated above, it's the ultimate reel for jigging.
newbski
Posted 9/14/2014 11:31 AM (#730028 - in reply to #730007)

Propster - 9/14/2014 9:10 AM

How about spool width - you guys go with J, or bigger? With MC cast control, and does it help?
And at least one of you has the Raptor drag system - is that worth having for muskie casting applications?
Finally, who carries them so a guy can give em a look?

My experience is with the 2-speed JX. Used it a lot. Narrow spool for sure, this allows the line to more easily stack itself evenly. Cranking in a big blades, there is no way you can use your thumb as a levelwind. You've just got to allow the line to stack as it will. On the narrow JX it has never been a problem.

The drag lever on the non-raptors is able to go past a point (called "strike" position) where, when you crank the handle, it damages the bearing. I don't know why--something to do with the reel's intended use, deepwater jigging. This "strike" position is clearly marked. After I killed the bearing the first time, I ordered a few new ones and installed one of them. I also tapped and screwed a little blocker/bumper into place so the lever can never go past this spot. This solved the issue, and I've never had to use another of my replacement bearings.

The JX is a beast, big and heavy. I only fill the spool partway. Full it pulls 46 IPT and I found that useless for big blades. I've got it running about 33-35 IPT and it works great. I don't know how my experience with this reel set up this way compares to an SX, full spool, 30 IPT. But the JX has a longer handle.

I personally wish I had a single speed narrow MX, but mine does what I want. I'd be happy to trade my JX 2-speed for one of those if by some strange chance someone wanted to.

The MC cast control is fantastic. I've very very rarely had any kind of backlash, and that's throwing big blades in wind. I wouldn't even try to use this reel without MC.

I've never tried the Raptor, but the normal JX has been fantastic for fighting fish. The lever drag works great for adjusting the drag on the fly, much nicer than a star drag for changing drag during fight. I don't personally feel I need more drag power (with a Raptor). But I'm using the JX which is 15# drag at "strike" setting (the setting you actually use). The MX and SX are 9# at "strike." But people were reportedly happily using them for muskie before the raptors came along.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)