Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Lure Noise

Message Subject: Lure Noise
Get The Net
Posted 8/25/2014 4:55 PM (#726985)
Subject: Lure Noise

I just read an article stating that a single blade bucktail makes more noise than a double blade bucktail. I polled my muskie fishing group and we're split on which one makes more noise. What's your stance and why?
ToddM
Posted 8/25/2014 5:11 PM (#726988 - in reply to #726985)
Subject: Re: Lure Noise

Odd is it may sound its true. I see a video with Larry Dahlberg and he threw a single 10 and. double 10 bucktail. The single 10 made a metallic smacking a spoon on a table type sound for every blade rotation while the double 10 made more of a whiting noise. I believe Worrall has done some work with this and found the same results.
fishhawk50
Posted 8/25/2014 5:28 PM (#726990 - in reply to #726985)

suicks are louder.. i believe
Reef Hawg
Posted 8/25/2014 5:37 PM (#726991 - in reply to #726985)
Subject: RE: Lure Noise

Considering a straight shaft, and properly spaced beads/body/hook configuration. typically, the same single bladed lure wil be noisier than the same lure with twin blades, Think of it in terms of a helicopter with one blade on it's prop instead of both. The single blade will, by nature, not travel around the shaft as fluidly and at the same distance from the shaft as the double blades which have each other to help balance the motion around the shaft. (Steve or someone using hydrophone tech can answer to that) but often a single blade 'whops' as it travels and bangs into things(body, beads, shaft) creating actual noise. The doubles have less of that tendancy until things get bent, which is where the whole thing gets tricky. Certain bucktails come into their own after a couple fish bend up the wire, creating a unique rattle. Others work best with very little noise on a straight shaft. My noisiest lure is a single 10 bladed lure that I've been using for 15 years. I can literally hear it grinding on parts of the lure as it comes in. There is no mystery as to why it works, when it does, and why I use it then.
sworrall
Posted 8/25/2014 7:06 PM (#726997 - in reply to #726985)

Single blades are much louder on spinnerbaits and straight line spinners.
Natureboy
Posted 8/25/2014 7:19 PM (#727000 - in reply to #726997)

It seems as if louder doesn't necessarily mean better then, since I feel most people would choose a double bladed bait vs a single?
sworrall
Posted 8/25/2014 7:33 PM (#727001 - in reply to #726985)

Sometimes singles far outperform doubles.
muskie! nut
Posted 8/25/2014 7:46 PM (#727004 - in reply to #726985)

Keep in mind its vibration and not sound that mainly draws muskies to blade baits.

Noticed that when suckers are spawning the muskies are there but normally not interested. But if you hook one of those suckers, the muskie attitude changes right away (normally).
Nick59
Posted 8/26/2014 8:25 AM (#727054 - in reply to #726985)

We always bend the wire of a cowgirl on the lowest part of bare wire below blades.
I know your talking noise here but the double blades will create more of a vibration in the water than a single.
But as we all know a muskie is gonna do what a muskie is gonna do.

Nick
bturg
Posted 8/26/2014 3:24 PM (#727143 - in reply to #727054)

Noise and vibration are the same thing, we may put them in a different catagory to explain things but to a fish they are one and the same. Noise is simply OUR audio interpretation of what the vibration is creating.

Other things come into play...how the lure displaces water (also noise but different as far as how we interpret it) Getting under the water or using a hydrophone is really fascinating, many of your concepts of "noise" will change once you do.

Example would you put a pounder in the "noisy" catagory ? probably not BUT muskies seem to find a black pounder 15 feet down on a moonless night just fine.

Noise is not what you think it is...at least not at the majority of peoples first glance. It is also IMO the least understood concept/catagory of presentation out there...that said I don't completely understand it either, it is still a work in progress.

Edited by bturg 8/26/2014 3:27 PM
bturg
Posted 8/26/2014 3:43 PM (#727149 - in reply to #726985)

Adding to that I think the greater amount of water displaced by the double blades is the key to their success, maybe they operate on a more desirable frequency as far as the fish are concerned as well. Once again we are still learning the whys of it all.

Defination of Sound:

" in physics sound is a vibration that propagates as a typical audible mechanical wave of pressure and displacement thru a medium such as air or water. In physiology and psychology sound is the reception of such waves and their PERCEPTION by the brain"

Genetic Properties:
Frequency
Wavelength
Wave number
Amplitude
Sound pressure
Sound intensity
Speed of sound
Direction

Or you can go with "what they are biting on" that works too !
Brad P
Posted 8/27/2014 8:12 AM (#727240 - in reply to #726985)

Is there an educated opinion on what times the single seems to outperform the double?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)