Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: sworrall, Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Biology -> Targeting the "Biggest Fish in the Lake"

Message Subject: Targeting the "Biggest Fish in the Lake"
IAJustin
Posted 2/7/2014 3:54 PM (#690080 - in reply to #690077)
Subject: Re: Targeting the "Biggest Fish in the Lake"

jlong - 2/7/2014 12:05 PM

What are you guys doing in the "off" season to increase your odds of contacting the "biggest fish in the lake"

Eat lots of food and drink beer , gives me 10-15 extra pounds.....energy reserve for those long summer days/nights on trophy water

Edited by IAJustin 2/7/2014 3:55 PM
ESOX Maniac
Posted 2/8/2014 10:02 AM (#690217 - in reply to #690034)

What are you guys doing in the "off" season to increase your odds of contacting the "biggest fish in the lake".

As I typically have very limited dedicated time of 7 days each year to chase the really big girls. research is extremely important.... It typically makes the trip!

If its a new lake, I'm using maps and satellite imaging to explore the lake. Way before I ever get on the lake, I already have my major spots identified. On average I'd say I put about +200hrs into research & analysis. I also study lunar movements so I know when we should be on big fish spots on a daily basis. I study local historical weather patterns for the tiime of year, etc. Once I'm on the water my HB SI really gives me an edge in finding hidden stucture complexes and open water fishing spots. Of course you have to be ready to react to the situation at hand, so I play what if scenario's in my mind during my winter research excersizes, especially weather related. I'll actually decide which spots to fish based on weather, wind direction, etc... I also study the lake biology, incuding all species of plants and fishes present.

Have fun!
Al

Edited by ESOX Maniac 2/8/2014 10:06 AM
muskyrat
Posted 2/16/2014 7:41 AM (#691827 - in reply to #658835)
Subject: RE: Targeting the "Biggest Fish in the Lake"

First real hot muggy weather of the year. First major cold front in the fall. Late fall just before ice up. Those are my top times to get big fish but I really don`t fish them much different than if I was just trying to catch one.
JLR
Posted 2/21/2014 10:57 PM (#693161 - in reply to #690034)

What are you guys doing in the "off" season to increase your odds of contacting the "biggest fish in the lake".

Reading your posts!!!
dougj
Posted 3/15/2014 8:11 PM (#699605 - in reply to #658835)

The biggest fish (all species) in the lake (or river) live and feed next to the biggest abundant preferred forage available. Figure out where the largest average size preferred abundant forage species lives and you'll find the largest available fish in the lake.

Not as easy as it sounds, but I'll bet that that's the real key to the answer. Big fish like to eat big food! Certain areas or conditions (water temps) holds large forage.

I know this works on the LOTWs, and I'll bet it does else where also.

Doug Johnson
jlong
Posted 3/17/2014 10:30 AM (#699975 - in reply to #699605)

Doug,
Does this mean you spot check what is out in the basin areas before you move in and fish the adjacent structures?

Assuming you are not fishing out in the basin on LOTW.....
popolarbear
Posted 5/3/2014 8:37 AM (#709994 - in reply to #658835)

another interesting topic. firstly keep in mind there are afew sub races of musky that many group together as one species, i would consider them slightly different especialy in waters with more than one present. from a biological perspective, two points come to mind. one generally these fish can eat pray about 1/3 there size. second, the larger the fish, the less it will chase a pray to get it, and the longer it will go between feeds.. i cant say for sure, but proably in the week range between meals in the 10lbs+ range. .. of course we are only at this point interested in 50-60lb class fish(or larger). i have stories to go with this subject but im out of time. wife is bugging me for breakfest. will stop back..
enjoy my best underwater musky vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HuV4wNIGdY
hunter
Posted 5/8/2014 12:55 AM (#710632 - in reply to #658835)

Fish threw the thunderstorms and at night!
I have caught some of my biggest fish in a two inch downpour!
You might have to duck into shore or tie up to an Island for the lightning show!
The tornado sucked but luckily I was on 26, on my way back from my folks!
Lyle and his partner Charlie were on Yellow! RIP (not from that)
That's when I knew he was for real!
1 second 1 mile from when you hear the thunder!
dtaijo174
Posted 5/8/2014 1:51 PM (#710743 - in reply to #710632)

hunter - 5/8/2014 12:55 AM
1 second 1 mile from when you hear the thunder!

You are asking for trouble...
The speed of sound in 68 Deg F air is roughtly 1,125 ft/s.
5280 ft / 1125 ft/s = 4.6933 or 1 mile traveled per 4.6933 seconds.
Don't play in lighting. Ask Don Pursch. He'll let you know how it feels.
WiscoMusky
Posted 8/4/2014 9:17 AM (#724039 - in reply to #658835)

I think the biggest fish are chasing pelagic forage for most of the year. Some good sonar would be the trick to finding those big girls
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)