Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Mag Dawg goes belly up when I rip it

Message Subject: Mag Dawg goes belly up when I rip it
mm3
Posted 7/19/2014 8:16 PM (#721439)
Subject: Mag Dawg goes belly up when I rip it

My Mag Dawg goes belly up when I rip it by quickly pulling/swinging my rod to the side. It quickly corrects itself on the fall. Is it anything to worry about? Am I doing something wrong?
upnortdave
Posted 7/19/2014 8:29 PM (#721440 - in reply to #721439)
Subject: RE: Mag Dawg goes belly up when I rip it

Had same issue with new dawgs. I put a hump in the back by bending nose down. It corrected the belly roll
CPRAPIG
Posted 7/21/2014 3:08 PM (#721670 - in reply to #721439)

No, those get eaten.
mm3
Posted 7/21/2014 6:47 PM (#721701 - in reply to #721670)

Well at least I got a couple of answers - thank you. Maybe it's a dumb question though. I don't use Bull Dawgs that often but I'm trying to get better at it and trigger fish. I think I fish them too slow sometimes and I've been trying the rip/pause like alot of people have been mentioning. I was surprised to see it completely roll over like that, maybe it's okay. I wasn't working it crazy jerk/rip fast/hard either...
Sam Ubl
Posted 7/22/2014 4:15 PM (#721865 - in reply to #721439)
Subject: Re: Mag Dawg goes belly up when I rip it

A lot of times I get a belly role when I fail to collect the line all the way to the point the rod tip is lightly loaded up. When you pull, as you reel in the slack you want to keep up with the rod so as to never have total slack. When your rod tip is pointing forward or ahead of you again and you feel the weight of the bait slightly, then begin the next pull. Ripping too fast when the bait is way out can be a pain to keep up with. If you don't do a good job of keeping up with it and you rip again before your rod tip is loading up, the jerk of slack line will cause the belly roll.

To much rod for two little of a bait may be a cause, also. When I first got a 9'6" XH rod, it took a couple throws to get used to the power of each sweep with that stick versus the sweep of an 8' H. The lighter action and shorter rod meant longer swings to get the bait to move in the same manner that half the work entails with the longer and heavier rod. Adjust to your lure weight based on the rod action and length you're using.

Hope that's sound advice for you. Good luck.
upnortdave
Posted 7/25/2014 6:13 AM (#722388 - in reply to #721439)

If your new to dawgs I recommend to take it easy. Ive had my best luck with a steady slow crank n pullin up on the bait once in awhile. This is how I build my confidence up on this bait. Start with the basics n work from there. I still catch more then half my dawg fish this way.
mm3
Posted 8/3/2014 7:19 AM (#723925 - in reply to #722388)

Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely try them.

I've got another Mag Dawg I will have to try to see if it does the same thing. I was out yesterday throwing a regular Bulldawg and working it/ripping it every which way I could and it does not do this.

Working that Mag Dawg slow might also be good for me too because these things are a lot of work. Even with the regular Bulldawg - working it fast - you get it in right away and bombs away again. It's not one cast, not ten casts... but after hours of throwing those things it takes a toll. Mixing in slow retrieves will help with that.

I don't know how some of you guys can throw those pounders all day long.
Landry
Posted 8/3/2014 11:15 AM (#723942 - in reply to #721439)

One day you will look at your buddy while throwing pounders or cowgirls for hours and say "remember when u started throwing mag dawgs and it felt so ridiculously hard that you switched lures after 15 minutes and now these mag dawgs and double tens seem like a regular sized lure - we have some serious issues. Lol"

This will happen to you someday:)
upnortdave
Posted 8/3/2014 2:49 PM (#723961 - in reply to #723942)

Lots of aleve
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)