Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Hellhound follows

Message Subject: Hellhound follows
edalz
Posted 7/29/2014 9:30 PM (#723214)
Subject: Hellhound follows

I am a Hellhound nut and my biggest issue is what to do with so many follows. Last week I had a big fish follow my HH 30 yards to the boat and it just seemed hypnotized and then turned away. I sped up the bait and it did not eat. I have tried speeding up and I am considering just killing the bait (probably a bad idea). It was not a soft tail HH and I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions.
JKahler
Posted 7/30/2014 1:13 AM (#723239 - in reply to #723214)
Subject: Re: Hellhound follows

I always add 2-4 pauses in a retrieve. That's usually when they get eaten.
Triplethreat
Posted 7/30/2014 5:04 AM (#723243 - in reply to #723214)

I always mix up my retrieve. The only follows I've had came when i was just working the lure in steady. Since I've mixed it up, they tend to eat away from the boat. I give a few rips then pause. A few more then a long pause. The hellhound doesn't do much on the pause. I picked up a Hot Tail Glider by Anthony Ashby and they have incredible wobble on the pause. Most of my hits come at that point. (Fall Winter)
Rudedog
Posted 7/30/2014 6:02 AM (#723246 - in reply to #723214)
Subject: RE: Hellhound follows

You probably have tried this.....
I learned this year that when they are hypnotized following, that if you just stop and let it sink and wobble in their face -for like 5 seconds- some times they will bite to not get hit. It saved my Canada trip in early July when they were sooooooo sluggish.
Kinda like Saric had happen on this past seasons Minaki show w/phantoms.
-Jon
pklingen
Posted 7/30/2014 6:37 AM (#723248 - in reply to #723214)

we always stop it about ten ft. from the boat, close to the surface, let it wobble down just out of site then bring it back into a figure 8. we've had lotsa fish just smash it out of nowhere as it starts to wobble down. they will eat it on the 8 also for us after this manuveur. good luck!
Sidejack
Posted 7/30/2014 8:18 AM (#723257 - in reply to #723243)

Triplethreat - 7/30/2014 5:04 AM
The hellhound doesn't do much on the pause.

Strange, all of my Hellhounds wobble on the pause/fall.
detroithardcore
Posted 7/30/2014 2:14 PM (#723363 - in reply to #723214)

As we discussed...once she's following and not committing it turns into a simple straight fast retrieve to the boat and into the 8. I've got a few fish on Hellhounds and Wabulls that followed...as soon as I saw them I sped up into a straight retrieve and 8'd. They got excited, sped up and ate in the 8. Forget about the action of the bait...doesn't matter anymore. You got her attention and now it's getting away....her mind can say "oh, just forget it" or she can think "it's getting away...kill kill kill". 50/50....
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)