Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> how to trigger strike on lazy follows

Message Subject: how to trigger strike on lazy follows
muskieman6
Posted 6/13/2014 6:48 PM (#715522)
Subject: how to trigger strike on lazy follows

What do you guys do when the fish follows and its lazy and doesnt strike had many follows today on tonka and they wouldnt take anything ...any pointers????
ESOX Maniac
Posted 6/13/2014 7:21 PM (#715527 - in reply to #715522)
Subject: RE: how to trigger strike on lazy follows

speed & erratic action.

Have fun!
Al
MstrMusky
Posted 6/13/2014 7:40 PM (#715531 - in reply to #715522)
Subject: Re: how to trigger strike on lazy follows

Perhaps the best thing anyone ever said to me when I was starting out was "Think of the Musky like it's a cat." Cats are also expert predators in their domain. They don't like something to "get away" from them, Muskies and cats are wired the same in that respect. So, i've always found it useful to get a quick gauge on the overall level of interest. A key indicator for me is whether the musky is opening its mouth at that bait. If it is, then I agree with Esox Maniac...speed and erratic action..."take it away from them." The key in these situations is to keep it in their sight. This type of fish I've come to the conclusion is "PO'd" at the bait and can be made to chase, with possible good results in the oval/8.

A fish that swims lazily and isn't opening its mouth at the bait...let the bait float up and sit there. This can get them interested. You'll know when you see it. If the Musky starts to swim off...you can start the bait up and repeat the process and see if it comes back. These fish are tough, and much harder to get, but it can be done.

Ultimately, there are some fish you just aren't going to get. Just like when a cat walks away and goes off to go to sleep.

Edited by MstrMusky 6/13/2014 7:42 PM
LandBigFish
Posted 6/13/2014 10:22 PM (#715560 - in reply to #715522)

So we need to find the equivalent to catnip for muskies!!
BenR
Posted 6/14/2014 12:55 AM (#715573 - in reply to #715522)

Just have fun with it. You will learn over time things that might work for you, but really sometimes they bite, some times they don't. The enjoyment is in the chase, the mystic is in the loss. The catch is typically a pretty quick event. It is just fun to be on the water...
cristopher pike
Posted 6/14/2014 6:11 AM (#715579 - in reply to #715522)

hey guys, in my experience with northerns in italy, there are two kind of followers:
in a day you have ONLY lazy followers it's probably the erratic and fast retrieve that makes them bite our lures, so a regular or little spinner small and silent crankbait...but it is hard to have a bite on a follower in that case, just need to wait the opener of a window of activity..
otherwise the other situation is the opposite, they follows big lures next to the boat, then change immedately and cast something suspended, very slow and snaky that can take the fish's attention...for me a 10'' or 8'' unweighted tube is the best choice! I cheated a good number of followers that way...
ksolie
Posted 7/9/2014 2:34 AM (#719858 - in reply to #715522)

The cat idea is exactly how I think of it. Just like your cat will chase a toy and sometimes stalk and sometimes pounce, you have to trigger that irresistible urge for them to strike. Just keep them interested and then try slight variations to make them pounce!

PS- Works great on Tiger Muskies...ehehe

Edited by ksolie 7/9/2014 2:38 AM
Junkman
Posted 7/9/2014 7:40 AM (#719867 - in reply to #715522)

When I see the tail of the lazy follower as it slowly turns to swim away, I can't help but think that it's really a middle finger. That's because it is! And, I wouldn't wait till I see the follow to speed up my retrieve either. A third of the way back to the boat and then a third of the way away from the boat I give it some speed too. Don't wait until the lazy fish has the boat as well as the neutral to negative attitude to flip you off!
bdog
Posted 7/9/2014 7:47 AM (#719869 - in reply to #715522)

A quick direction change for me about 2/3 of the way back to the boat has gotten me a lot of fish before I ever saw them following. I call it the "juke" move haha
IAJustin
Posted 7/9/2014 12:50 PM (#719920 - in reply to #715522)

go back at night
BNelson
Posted 7/9/2014 2:23 PM (#719940 - in reply to #715522)

probably start with either erratic like a twitched/paused triple d, or speeeed... sometimes no matter what you do they will not bite.... go back at the next change...(light/wind/moon/sun ..etc)
jimjimjim
Posted 7/9/2014 5:06 PM (#719971 - in reply to #719940)

if you are doing the figure-8 and the musky just stays there watching the lure ,,,,, continue the figure-8 away from the fish and when you come back towards the fish,,, SMACK it in the nose with your rod tip !!! ,,, the fish will likely move away quickly ,, but ,, continue the figure-8 and the fish will come right back and hit the lure !!! ---- some times you have to pee'em off !!!! ----- really !!! ---- jimjimjim

Edited by jimjimjim 7/9/2014 5:08 PM
zombietrolling
Posted 7/10/2014 4:32 PM (#720161 - in reply to #715522)

Sometimes they are just not going to bite. I've had the same fish follow multiple times in a day on different baits. Speed up, lift the bait higher in the water column, erratic twitches, letting it float and bob in the wind and still sometimes they just come in for a look-see.
EsoxAndy
Posted 7/10/2014 8:15 PM (#720185 - in reply to #715522)

those fish have seen enough, go back tomorrow
DonPursch
Posted 7/10/2014 8:20 PM (#720187 - in reply to #715522)

Your aggressiveness at boat side is the trigger.
muskidiem
Posted 7/11/2014 9:38 AM (#720235 - in reply to #720187)

This has worked a few times: I see the fish lazily swim off so I cast near them, slapping the bait into the water with a good thumb control on spool. As hard a cast as you can manage.
Here's how it went in my head: here's one, about a 40. What the? It's just sitting there. (Slap back cast, fish lazy turns, takes it on the figure 8). Here he comes... got 'em!
4reukmuskies
Posted 7/11/2014 3:12 PM (#720299 - in reply to #715522)

Try the same bait in a different color the next pass. That has worked for me in the past.
lurenut
Posted 7/28/2014 7:07 PM (#722942 - in reply to #715522)

I THINK THAT LAZY FOLLOWS IS THIS IS ONE THE QUESTIONS THAT MOST OF US ASKS OURSELVES OFTEN. THE TRUTH IS OFTEN LAZY FOLLOWS ARE JUST NOT ACTIVE FISH, ONLY LOOKING. OFTEN A ERATIC ACTION THROW BACK BAIT OR MAYBE A GOOD TOP WATER BAIT CAN WORK OR TWITCH BAIT. BUT QUITE OFTEN MOVE ON TO OTHER SPOTS AND RETURN TO FISH AGAIN THROUGH OUT THE DAY. MANY TIMES IT MAY TAKE APROACHING THE FISH LATER AT DIFFERENT ANGLES. IN MID SUMMER YOUR LUCK MAY CHANGE TO THE LAST HOUR OF DAY LIGHT. THE TRUTH IS YOUR JUST NOT THERE AT FEEDING TIME. THATS ONE OF THE MISTERIES OF THE SPORT THAT FRUSTRATES ALL OF US !
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)