Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Glow in the Dark

Message Subject: Glow in the Dark
MOJOcandy101
Posted 7/21/2014 3:09 PM (#721671)
Subject: Glow in the Dark

Hey all, I am going to give night fishing a shot for the first time this coming weekend and I have read some about adding some glow in the dark(paint, tape..etc) to your lures. If anyone has any luck with a specific brand or type i'll take any advice.

mnmusky
Posted 7/21/2014 3:26 PM (#721673 - in reply to #721671)
Subject: Re: Glow in the Dark

Noise is king @ night. Never had luck with glow baits. Slow moving noise however, has served me well.
Lundbob
Posted 7/21/2014 3:39 PM (#721675 - in reply to #721671)

The 2 biggest fish ever in my boat were caught on Black with Nickel blades with small patch of glowin outdoors on the blades. One of the fish was caught at night. You can see the lure coming from several feet away. I don't use it because i think it helps the fish see the lure. I use it so i can see the lure and get a good figure 8 in the dark. Don't bother with the beads in front of your leader...they don't work. If you have a fully charged strip on the blade it lasts for hours. Small piece is all you need. 1\4"x3\4" works fine.

http://www.glowinoutdoors.com/
MUSKYLUND1
Posted 7/21/2014 3:41 PM (#721676 - in reply to #721671)

I have caught several muskies on a Windel's Harasser with glow tape on the blade in the pitch black dark. I don't know if it helps me more than the muskies, but it make the lure easier to see as it approaches the boat. I don't think you want the whole bait or lure to glow brightly, but some muted glow is OK. The Harrasser only has glow tape on part of one side of the blade. You can also use it during the day, especially during low light or on overast days. I've also added some glow tape to an old Black/Nickle Buchertail that I rebuilt. The tape covers about 1/3 of one side of the blade. As far as adding tape to crankbaits, I tried to put some on top of Depth Raider, but ended up taking it off eventually. It's is definitely not the big ticket to get more strikes. I'm convinced the fish have no trouble seeing or sensing your bait without the glow tape.

MOJOcandy101
Posted 7/21/2014 3:44 PM (#721677 - in reply to #721671)

Thanks for the advice! I was hoping skies could see the bait no matter what but was just looking for something to help me see it ha

tape is the way to go? I was thinking about possible just adding a few dots of paint to the blades...
hawkeye9
Posted 7/21/2014 4:05 PM (#721684 - in reply to #721677)

I don't do a whole lot of night fishing, but for the last dark hour of early morning and the first two dark hours of the night the glow bead on a Stealth leader works for me quite well. Perhaps Stealth uses a different glow bead...
tswoboda
Posted 7/21/2014 4:29 PM (#721688 - in reply to #721671)

Pink, chartreuse, and black/nickel are some of my favorite blade colors at night simply because I can see them the best. It's different from lake to lake and depending on conditions but I'll throw the black/nickel on bright moon nights and the bright colored blades on dark nights. Again this is for me to see the bait and not the fish.

I do use a soft glow bead in front of the leader simply to protect the rod from the few times I reel up to far. If it does get charged it only last a few casts.

Another option is putting a bobber stop a couple feet in front of the leader, you'll feel it come through the guides and know to start your 8.

Putting a sock, hat, or t-shirt on the stern light really helps whoever is in the back of the boat to not be blinded.

Figure 8 or oval every cast like a fish is there, I'll usually do two full ovals.

X2 on the slow moving noise comment.
FISHFINDER101
Posted 7/22/2014 11:38 AM (#721813 - in reply to #721671)

I second teh glowin outdoors tape, I like to put a sock over my white light to help emlininate some of the light or black out my boat. I use the tape on my trolling motor and other items in the boat so i'm able to find them with out turning the lights on. I make a direction arrow on top of my trolling motor also. I've added a little tape to my leader's instead of the bait usually and this also helps with knowing where the bait is boat side for more precise figure eights.
CiscoKid
Posted 7/22/2014 12:16 PM (#721819 - in reply to #721671)
Subject: RE: Glow in the Dark

Go with the Glowin Outdoors glow tape. Just a little piece so that you can see it. It stays charged for quite a while before needing to recharge.
MOJOcandy101
Posted 7/22/2014 12:41 PM (#721825 - in reply to #721671)

Looks like ill be picking up some of that Glowing Outdoor Tape. Thanks for all the info!!! Hopefully the new moon this weekend will bring us some luck!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)