Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Medussa

Message Subject: Medussa
colinj8899
Posted 7/19/2014 1:29 AM (#721356)
Subject: Medussa

I recently purchased a Medussa a few weeks ago and got to use it the other day. As I was using it I noticed that it kept rolling all around in the water. I would reel it in and it would come in upside down, on its side and even sometimes just doing barrel rolls on its way to the boat. What gives, I can't imagine that this is normal in anyway. I never have any problems with my Bulldawgs. Is this one Medussa a defective piece of tackle or I am simply doing something wrong. I was pretty excited to use this bait and now I am not so sure I will ever put it on again. Any avid Medussa users out there with any advice or seen this before?
upnortdave
Posted 7/19/2014 5:40 AM (#721359 - in reply to #721356)
Subject: Re: Medussa

Never used a dussa before but had this happen with a dawg. Called brad at mi. He said when the rubber gets poured the wire is not sstraight. Brad sent me a new bait n postage to mail back junk bait. Id call the guys who make dussas n see what they will do for you.
dami0101
Posted 7/19/2014 5:55 AM (#721361 - in reply to #721356)

Never had a meddusa do this to me, but plastics with an internal harness sometimes need to be tuned by bending the internal frame a little. Perhaps this is it?

Edited by dami0101 7/19/2014 5:56 AM
BPAASCH
Posted 7/19/2014 6:41 AM (#721366 - in reply to #721361)

I have noticed the same but only since the design and change in rubber. The older ones had a harder rubber which seemed to hold the legs out from the body of the bait more which prevented the rolling you are describing. How to tell the difference at a glance, the eyes on the old ones were the plastic inserts, the new ones are just rubber, and bulge out from the head. While they will definitely still eat either model there is a definite difference in how they run.
FAT-SKI
Posted 7/19/2014 8:18 AM (#721383 - in reply to #721366)

The other question I would ask is are you burning it in fast? or straight retrieve at any relative speed. Because its not really meant to be a burner, they will roll (though I know someone who has ridiculous success burning medussa's... but only him). And if not and you're just jerking it like you would your bulldawgs. then try bending the internal harness and see if that helps the action at all. One of the first I bought rolled like that, I just played with the internal harness and now it is one of my favorite dussa's
Muskie Bob
Posted 7/19/2014 10:27 AM (#721398 - in reply to #721356)

What size of Medussa? Is one of the newer Shallow Medussa?
TC MUSKIE
Posted 7/19/2014 11:04 AM (#721402 - in reply to #721398)

put a bell sinker on the front split ring, add enough until it tames it and keeps it straight.
EsoxAddiction
Posted 7/19/2014 1:04 PM (#721412 - in reply to #721356)

It simply needs to be tuned, I always hold the body tight and bend the head down just a bit. that little bit usually keeps them flat even at higher speeds. If this doesn't work try slowing down the retrieve, if nothing works then call Rick @ Chaos tackle. He stands behind his baits and will make it right. I have been throwing the new baits and have not had this happen to a new one. The older ones I had this happen to, but it was few and far between and usually just too fast of a straight retrieve. Also had it happen to dawgs, and twisted tulibees. Alittle tuning and tweaking is all it took.
achotrod
Posted 7/19/2014 2:34 PM (#721416 - in reply to #721356)

I have some dussa and the one that catches the most fish barrel rolls
colinj8899
Posted 7/19/2014 7:16 PM (#721435 - in reply to #721356)

Alright....Thanks for the advice. I will mess with it and see what happens. Everything about the way it comes to the boat seems so wrong. I recently lost a Medussa on opener and I loved the way it ran, it looked so glorious and vibrant in the water that I just had to replace it. This new one just does not do what my last one did. I will definitely tinker with it and see if I can't get it to run a little more natural. I may be going out on Tuesday and if I do I will let you all know how the Dussa held up.
Brady080
Posted 7/20/2014 6:31 PM (#721542 - in reply to #721356)

needs to be tuned. bend it opposite direction that it rolls.
Michaeldircz
Posted 7/20/2014 8:39 PM (#721555 - in reply to #721356)
Subject: RE: Medussa

My new medussa this year had a similar issue to the one you described- occasional barrel rolls mixed in the retrieve. The solution is the bend the bait and tune it until this stops. Mine now runs perfectly straight. My older medussas did not need any tuning and ran straight right out of the package.
joelo7
Posted 7/20/2014 8:45 PM (#721558 - in reply to #721356)

i have one that does the same thing. If i straight reel it, it rolls. If i fish it with a normal pull pause it does not roll. Took me about 3 casts to get it eaten so im not so worried about it. if you cant get it perfect, fish it anyway. sometimes those are the things that get em chewed.
leech lake strain
Posted 7/21/2014 8:01 PM (#721713 - in reply to #721356)

every medussa ive had or seen does this! don't be afraid to bend the crap out of them tuning them. I about fold them completely in half like a piece of bread making the head point straight down on retrieve and the hooks straight out the back, works great and they dive a little deeper that way as well. ive also seen guys bending them the opposite way for shallower running
brmusky
Posted 7/25/2014 10:22 AM (#722429 - in reply to #721356)

A friend of mine had the same thing happen last week with a new shallow medusa. We looked at the bottom of it and the wire form does not run down the center of the bait - causes it to roll to the same side and upside down every pull. The eye on top is in the center but the whole harness is very crooked.
Not sure what he plans on doing with it but it looks like a flaw to me.
All of my medussas work great but I don't have a shallow one.
FAT-SKI
Posted 7/25/2014 3:51 PM (#722489 - in reply to #722429)

brmusky - 7/25/2014 10:22 AM

A friend of mine had the same thing happen last week with a new shallow medusa. We looked at the bottom of it and the wire form does not run down the center of the bait - causes it to roll to the same side and upside down every pull. The eye on top is in the center but the whole harness is very crooked.

I saw this exact same thing on a bunch of them at the MN expo this year. Had to pick through about ten before finding two that I liked and that were straight.
ToothTamer
Posted 7/25/2014 4:38 PM (#722500 - in reply to #722489)

FAT-SKI - 7/25/2014 3:51 PM

I saw this exact same thing on a bunch of them at the MN expo this year. Had to pick through about ten before finding two that I liked and that were straight.

Mine is the same way fubar is the best way to describe it.
Tried bending it every way possible and it still torpedos. Has since
been hung in the closet.The more I read of guys saying they catch fish
on the spinning ones but it bugs me for some reason. Ill have to put it
back in the box...
EsoxAddiction
Posted 7/25/2014 7:27 PM (#722523 - in reply to #721356)

Has anyone called and talked to rick about this? When you were at the shows and noticed this did you question it directly? If its such a noticeable issue, and renders the baits useless I am sure he would like to know about it. I have a wide variety of medusas and have noticed a few that spun just a bit on straight retrieve but nothing to the extent that everyone is explaining. Now I am not saying its impossible, I just have not experienced it personally on my minis up to my regular dussas. It seems more of a retrieval speed issue to me. The last time I went out I tested a couple of mine. Jerk, pause, jerk, pause didn't spin it at all. I then burned it in and it spun all the way around. Maybe try slowing it down? Like some have stated, the fish don't care, the bait still has 3 flipping tails and keeps the same profile In the water, regardless of whether or not its upside or rightside up.

I suggest if you have issue with a majority of these baits, call rick. He is a good guy to deal with and cares about his company and his customers.
Toro
Posted 7/26/2014 12:51 AM (#722556 - in reply to #721356)

I have a bunch of Dussas and I have not had any problems but that's not to say that some may not be running right. I think the best bet is to contact Rick at Chaos Tackle and tell him what the issues are. He is a great guy to talk to and to deal with. I'm sure he would be available to help you and to listen to any thoughts.
achotrod
Posted 7/26/2014 1:54 PM (#722596 - in reply to #722500)

ToothTamer - 7/25/2014 4:38 PM

FAT-SKI - 7/25/2014 3:51 PM

Mine is the same way fubar is the best way to describe it.
Tried bending it every way possible and it still torpedos. Has since
been hung in the closet.The more I read of guys saying they catch fish
on the spinning ones but it bugs me for some reason. Ill have to put it
back in the box...

Mine that does it is a Walleye pattern with a white belly. I think when it rolls the white belly flashing triggers bites.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)