Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Muskie Bay Resort

Message Subject: Muskie Bay Resort
Slimeball
Posted 7/6/2014 11:50 AM (#719378)
Subject: Muskie Bay Resort

Anyone have any experience at this camp on Crow?
Fishing, Cabins, docking,staff, food????.....
Thanks, Jay
Booch
Posted 7/6/2014 2:29 PM (#719395 - in reply to #719378)
Subject: Re: Muskie Bay Resort

I'll let you know in a few weeks. I'll be there July 19-26th, for the first time.
Slimeball
Posted 7/6/2014 6:00 PM (#719414 - in reply to #719395)

Good luck Booch!
tbaatz
Posted 7/7/2014 5:02 PM (#719571 - in reply to #719378)

Stayed in their Motel and liked it a lot. Water was crazy high so bring boots to launch. Docks float and are nicely arranged. You can use the two bumpers and rope I left behind. We did housekeeping but I'm told the food is very good and plentiful. My first trip as well and we boated one in the day and a half we were there. Very clear water, deep cold lake and the spawn had just started. It was fun locating paired up fish and watching the dance. It did slow down the bite. bring your polarized and watch the follows from 40 feet away!
whitetailchaser1
Posted 7/8/2014 10:02 PM (#719835 - in reply to #719378)
Subject: RE: Muskie Bay Resort

My wife and I were there 2 years ago in September. Cabins were OK and the food was great. Fishing was slow but did manage several pike with the biggest at 41" and a 37" musky in 3 days of fishing. Also several Lake trout but they were deep in 80' to 110' water but were fun to catch. Equipment was good all around. You will have a good time---just don't talk politics with Paul. I had to change to subject or one of us was going to have to swim back to camp because there was no way the boat was going to be big enough for the both of us. Liberals--ugh...........
Slimeball
Posted 7/9/2014 2:35 AM (#719859 - in reply to #719378)

Thanks gentlemen!
Booch
Posted 7/27/2014 3:03 PM (#722688 - in reply to #719378)

Just got back yesterday, and will likely be back next year - maybe twice. I've been to a lot of resorts in the area (within a ~200 mile radius), and have to say this one is near the top of my list. A few of my prior favorites have tried to plush things up (so they can raise prices), and seem to have started ignoring what most of us what up there: a good boat, good accommodations and great fishing for a reasonable price.

To me, this place was just right. We saw a lot of big fish, and put 4 in the boat (biggest was 45" by my rookie partner!). We lost count of smallmouth on the 2 blue sky days we had. We went to Stevens one day, but it was hot and still a little messy. We didn't bother with lakers, but saw plenty of big ones in the fish cleaning house. Never made it to the Whitefish Bay launch, but one group in camp lost count of the pike they caught up there.

Paul and his staff were fine. They won't greet you at the dock each day, but will get you what you need when you need it. And it's inevitable that you will get stuck in a political conversation with Paul, even if you try and avoid it! lol. We cooked our meals, but the lodge meals did smell pretty darned good. We used the 17ft 50hp boats with 24v trolling motors and lowrance depth finders with GPS, and they were awesome. I'm not even sure he offers other boats.

So, unless you want your fish cleaned for you and evenings of roasting smores and singing songs around a campfire, go ahead and book your trip.
jackpotjohnny48
Posted 7/30/2014 10:08 PM (#723440 - in reply to #719378)
Subject: RE: Muskie Bay Resort

Jay,

Yes I have experience with Muskie Bay Resort, and I HIGHLY recommend it. My first experience there was in July 2012. My fishing partner and I were actually fishing in the LOTW / Minaki area and decided to stop in at Muskie Bay for one day of fishing on the way home. We intended to stay for only 1 day and then go home.

But on the first night of trolling, we caught 2 muskies.

So we decided to stay just one more day. And caught 3 muskies that night, including our only double header ever.

So 5 muskies in a VERY limited amount of trolling. Probably only trolled a total of 6 to 7 hours. Here is the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNNtAJSWTug

But the fishing is NOT the main reason I would recommend Muskie Bay. The main reason I would recommend Muskie Bay is that I get the impression that Paul and Chris and their family really go the extra mile to make sure their guests are having a good time.

Because my second experience with Muskie Bay was just 2 1/2 weeks ago. I took my wife to Canada to introduce her to fishing, and we planned to fish LOTW and Shoal Lake for Northern, walleye, and smallmouth. But wanted to stay in Nestor Falls for one day to do a sightseeing float plane trip.

Stayed at Muskie Bay the first night. Met Paul and Chris' son Jake. Told him that since we hadn't brought our own boat along (only had access to a canoe), would he mind if I borrowed a camp boat to give my wife a quick tour of the lake? They didn't have any boats available, but Jake offered to give us a tour on the pontoon boat. I thought that was a very kind offer, but the weather ended up preventing it.

Told him that we weren't going to do the float plane trip that day either due to bad weather, but would make a special trip back to Nestor Falls a few days later, and asked if he could recommend any good canoe portage lakes since we would now have a whole afternoon to kill in the Nestor Falls area. He said "come with me". We hopped in his pickup truck and he drove me a few miles down the road, showed me one of their portage lakes known for big pike, and showed me the path through the woods.

My wife and I returned to Nestor Falls a few days later for our float plane trip. We portaged to the lake Jake had shown us. My wife ended up catching a 35 inch pike, a 34, a 32. Lost another one over 30 inches, and had a follow from a 40 incher. Her previous best fish (before this trip) was an 8 inch perch.

So I'm very grateful to the people of Muskie Bay Resort (Paul, Chris, and Jake) for going the extra mile to help make my wife's first ever trip to Canada a special and memorable experience.

I have never stayed in the actual cabins. Just the motel part of the resort. While I wouldn't classify them as luxury suites, they are certainly more than adequate.

In any case, Muskie Bay is a great place to stay. The lake is one of the most beautiful in all of Ontario. The musky fishing appears to be fantastic (5 in the boat in only about 7 total hours of fishing... also an awesome smallmouth bass lake) And the Trinkner family does what they can do to make your stay enjoyable.

Highly recommended!

"Jackpot" John Schroeder

Edited by jackpotjohnny48 7/30/2014 10:13 PM
Slimeball
Posted 7/31/2014 4:18 AM (#723461 - in reply to #719378)

Thank you John and Booch!. Sounds like a great experience.

Edited by Slimeball 7/31/2014 4:20 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)